Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

Friday

Lord Nagafen Raider
All I'm saying is that not having a story that needs to be YouTubed to see how it ends doesn't make a game bad.

Who said anything about Zelda being bad?

I made it halfway through the game and I returned my Switch. Kind of hard to play the rest of the game when you return it.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I'm also pissed that no reviewer ever dings the game for the wii u port of BOTW making zero use of the gamepad. For fucks sake the game mechanics revolve heavily around the "sheikah slate", which looks exactly like a goddamn Wii U gamepad, and the game shows a blank screen on the gamepad when you play on TV. You couldn't spend the extra 1 hour of coding to always show the map on the gamepad, like you do with most of your first party games?
The funny part is that stuff was in the game previously and they removed it when they delayed for the Switch port. All that sheika slate shit was clearly developed with the Wii U pad in mind, but it seems that when they decided to port it for Switch, they made both versions identical and removed all the gamepad functionality.

• 1SJW
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Yep I had no illusions that it's the same thing I've been playing since I was a kid.

Nintendo really needs to get some games.

Who said anything about Zelda being bad?

I made it halfway through the game and I returned my Switch. Kind of hard to play the rest of the game when you return it.

My bad, read that and got the impression you were implying Zelda wasn't good and Nintendo needed to get some actual games. Now I can see you probabaly meant needs to get some more games out besides just zelda

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

yimmien

Molten Core Raider
I am glad they took out the gamepad sheikah slate stuff. I get irritatex when i have to put the pro controller down to do a stupid motion control shrine that barely functions.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Nintendo is a family company and kids are expected to play it. This has always been recognized as their wheelhouse. They also made the memory cards taste terrible so kids wont eat them.

What I was saying that it wasn't created specifically for kids. Of course kids are going to play it, though. I'm just saying that the aesthetic of it is made to attract teens and adults. When Nintendo usually makes something specifically for kids, it's usually bulky and can survive world wars. While the Switch isn't flimsy, I doubt it's as durable as a DS or a Gameboy.

I'm pretty sure the kickstand was just something they threw in the design at the end instead of just a normal cover for the SD slot. The tabletop mode doesn't really jive with the rest of the design (having the dock/power cord at the bottom). It's pretty obvious they started with it sliding in from the top to the dock first, so the I/O and fan exhaust had to be on the top. Kickstand just seems like an afterthought.

If they removed the kickstand instead, and you had to buy an aftermarket stand to play it hands free out of the dock, would people still complain?

Table top mode is how I play it mostly when I'm at my local card shop, so I'd be pretty annoyed if I had to buy a stand. On that note, I do think you're right that the stand was more of an afterthought. The stand is pretty flimsy and the charger being under the system is annoying. Hopefully they take note of this in a revision and find a way to make it chargable while in table top mode.

Would be cool as fuck if the stand could have allowed the system to stand vertically too. It would become a god system for SHMUPs.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I am glad they took out the gamepad sheikah slate stuff. I get irritatex when i have to put the pro controller down to do a stupid motion control shrine that barely functions.
Yeah, those shrines kind of suck. I'd like to record myself doing those shrines. I'm pretty sure I look like I have cerebral palsy when I'm doing it.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Not unfeasible. I'm one of those dudes that usually plays straight through a story before exploring. I catch a lot of shit for how "fast" I best games.

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I've started doing that, too. I've found that if I don't immediately play through the main story lines in games like that, I'll get sidetracked with my meandering, get bored, and never truly "beat" the game. Hard lessons taught by Fallout and Elder Scrolls!

Elminage

N00b
Yeah, those shrines kind of suck. I'd like to record myself doing those shrines. I'm pretty sure I look like I have cerebral palsy when I'm doing it.

The motion control shrines are BULLSHIT. In some of them I seemingly need to twist the Switch so that I can't even see the screen - stupid. I looked for an option to change them to stick controls but sadly there is none. Probably the only flaw of the game.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
The motion control shrines are BULLSHIT. In some of them I seemingly need to twist the Switch so that I can't even see the screen - stupid. I looked for an option to change them to stick controls but sadly there is none. Probably the only flaw of the game.

I mean, couldn't you stand up and move?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Are you sick in the head?

Also 0/3 on store checks for a switch. Blessing in disguise I guess.

Yes.

Yes, I would want this to drop in price or some of the issues to be corrected before taking the plunge. Especially since there's really no point without any exclusives worth the cost of entry for for the foreseeable future with the WiiU still kicking around with prices falling.

Elminage

N00b
I mean, couldn't you stand up and move?

wtf are you talking about, stand up and move? you have to spin the controller 180* in order to do some of the shrines. you can't see the screen. doesn't matter if you're standing up or sitting down.

Siliconemelons

The one most BS tablet control tilt shrine was the ball dropped in the maze, I youtubed and a guy was like "flip it over" - tada 3 tries, done.

those shrines are BS and all gimmick, the parts I hate... part of why I hated almost all of skyward sword... and liked twilight so much better on wiiu when I didnt have to swing and flail around my living room to do fights.

• 1Like

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
Well yeah, VR is different.

But if I'm just controlling some random 2D figure on my screen, let me do it with normal controls. I shouldn't have to stand up and spin around to play that kind of game. I'm hoping Zelda having that shit is just a relic of it's Wii U origins, and they won't continue to be a plague on Switch games.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
It's just rotating a controller in like 3 shrines out of 120, don't have to stand up at all, or really move for that matter.

• 1Like