Nintendo Switch (previously NX)

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Trump will build the wall out of aquariums.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

YxxanYxxan

Lord Nagafen Raider
People who bought the Switch are you still happy with the console? How's the build quality - especially the joy-con-sliders? Still happy with the purchase?

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
People who bought the Switch are you still happy with the console? How's the build quality - especially the joy-con-sliders? Still happy with the purchase?

Overall yeah, I'd still wait a while until games come out though. Mario Kart is next month, then ARMs, then Splatoon, then probably more stuff announced at E3. By then I'm sure the joycon issue will be fixed.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>

Not dissatisfied with the console itself, but disappointed in Zelda certainly. Good news is Mario Kart is coming in a month and Hollow Knight should be releasing sometime fairly soon for it.

I think overall the build quality is average. The dock is extremely cheap molded plastic, the screen is pretty low grade and not made of quality materials, and the joy cons themselves seem pretty flimsy. It feels like Oculus beta versions did prior to release. Other than that, I can see the appeal for the console but the result feels sort of half baked. If I wasn't waiting on MK8 (never played it, and hear its great) I'd return it. If I had a Wii U I would have returned it, but for only $100 more I figured I'd just buy this and wait until the good games start coming out later this year. My .02

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Heian

Molten Core Raider
I'm really happy with my Switch. I'm not rushing through Zelda. I really love playing on TV going to bed and keep playing it before falling asleep.

• 1Like

Elminage

N00b
Zelda has been really cool but I don't see any games coming that I care about (Mario Kart is worthless unless you play multiplayer) besides the new Mario game. Might sell mine.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

spronk

FPS noob
switches are in stock at certain gamestops, you just gotta go in and see for yourself though

• 1Like

zignor 4

Molten Core Raider
Man, I remember doing the Gamestop hop thing back when the Wii was released where you'd time out the various UPS deliveries and wait around to see if they had enough come in to cover your place in line. Yeah, never again.

Man0warr

Molten Core Raider
Pretty happy with the hardware itself. The build quality (besides the Dock) is much higher than the 3DS line. The 720p screen looks great - although I personally wish they went with glass over plastic (I know why they didn't, glass doesn't scratch but it will shatter). I've had no scratching issues putting it in/out of the dock, but I'd still get a tempered glass screen protector just out of principle. Haven't had any issues with the Left Joycon either.

Like any new electronic device, it's probably best to wait for the 2nd manufacturing run that will tweak the docks and eliminate the left joycon issue. I don't see a new version (Switch Lite, etc) coming out any time soon, unless they decide to announce a smaller form factor to replace the 3DS at E3.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
I was checking out a tear down of the Switch, and noticed most everything in it is end of life from a component stand point. Is that par for the course in console manufacturing?

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
glass doesn't scratch but it will shatter
Any drop so bad that it can shatter GG5 would almost certainly do major damage to one or both of the joycon connections anyway. And it's not like it really shatters anyway, it just cracks. They are going to be using it as safety glass in cars soon.

spronk

FPS noob
I was checking out a tear down of the Switch, and noticed most everything in it is end of life from a component stand point. Is that par for the course in console manufacturing?

nintendo is like the npc in fallout that builds shit out of trash

every other console is almost cutting edge at release time, like scorpio is going to be using the equivalent of a 1080

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
I was just in a couple Gamestop's last night picking up Horizon. They both said they're getting 5 Switch's and they expect lines at the door at opening for them. No thanks!

Nintendo still refusing to take my money.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
nintendo is like the npc in fallout that builds shit out of trash

every other console is almost cutting edge at release time, like scorpio is going to be using the equivalent of a 1080

Wasn't PS4 made mostly out of laptop parts? IIRC it wasn't cutting edge, and neither was the XB1. I think MS and Sony stopped doing that with the problems the PS360 generation had. The mid-gen refreshes are a whole different thing on their own, so we'll see how that goes. I suspect Nintendo will do one in two or three years as well.

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
Consoles are to the point where they will never be cuttting edge. You expecting a cutting edge gaming platform for $300-400?

As for the switch, I still like it. Haven't had any of the issues some have reported. Rails feel fine, no issues. The tablet part feels and looks pretty much like any other tablet. The joycons are sturdy but lighter than I would have thought, makes them feel a little cheap even if there is nothing actually wrong with build quality. The dock definitely feels like a cheap piece of plastic, since that is what it is. Always feel like when I pick the switch up the dock is going to come with it.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
I might just wait for new batches of joy-cons to go out and buy one, and replace it with mine and return it.

Last edited:

etchazz

Trakanon Raider

Extremely happy with the Switch. Still playing Zelda, taking my time. I haven't had a portable console since the original Gameboy, so the Switch is pretty fantastic.