Nioh (Team Ninja)

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Its basically Geralt in a dark souls samurai setting, with Diablo like random weapons and armor with some ninja gaiden spells and combos thrown in.

At first I was annoyed at how clone-y it seemed, but after getting the hang of timing and getting into the parts of the game that weren't souls clone, it sucked me in and I think it stands pretty well on its own. I'll probably pick it up when it comes out.

Column_sl

shitlord
This game is hard as fuck. It looked very Darks Souls in the game videos, but it plays a lot different.

It's like a bunch of diffrent games smashed into one.

I will say the graphics look a little dated. To me it looks like a ps3 game that has been upscaled for the ps4.

spronk

FPS noob
spent 15 minutes at the first trash mob before i figured out you have to equip a sword. trying to kill a dude by punching him to death, not so easy

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Haha. That reminds me of my first experience with Final Fantasy 1 back when I was 8. My party kept getting its ass kicked, didn't realize I had to equip items!

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Game is really fun. Different fighting styles, seem fairly deep in combat mechanics. Souls meets Ninja Gaiden with a Diablo like loot system.

Different enough from a souls game that it has the same learning curve. First time initial mobs seem crazy hard, while they barely scratch you if you restart after learning some of the combos and stance switches. Very large demo. 4-5+ hours? Certainly large enough to give an impression if you like the game or not.

Will end up buying for sure.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Enjoyed the demo quite a bit this weekend, definitely a day one purchase for me.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Changes sound great. Looking forward to getting my ass kicked when this comes out
tongue.png

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider
Cautiously excited for this. I say cautiously for a few reasons.

1) Haven't cared for the dev team since NG1
2) I'm 31 now. My reflexes aren't what they were. I love a good challenge, but aside from Dark Souls, I don't really like overly difficult games. Dark Souls is probably my favorite series of all time, but its difficulty was tempered by jts eminent fairness and its mechanical insistence on rewarding its players for persevering.
3) uhh, dunno. I said a few reasons. i'm drunk.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
its difficulty was tempered by jts eminent fairness and its mechanical insistence on rewarding its players for persevering.

I am 35, not a fan of reflex/speed like games any more either, but if you like Souls games (my favourite series too), you will most likely fall straight into a comfort zone with this. Quoted part describes this (at least the 10? hour demo, it timed out on me wouldn't let me play more)

It's Souls with perhaps more of the speed of Bloodborne. It always felt fair. Dark Souls like progression. Hard, then you get better and sections become easier from learning moves and combos. Get get better weapons, earlier sections become trivial, new sections always feel hard.

It's more linear though with the mission system, so it isn't like one giant world, rather big maps. However, they too have the shortcut mechanics of the Souls games.

One of my most anticipated games.

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider
I am 35, not a fan of reflex/speed like games any more either, but if you like Souls games (my favourite series too), you will most likely fall straight into a comfort zone with this. Quoted part describes this (at least the 10? hour demo, it timed out on me wouldn't let me play more)

It's Souls with perhaps more of the speed of Bloodborne. It always felt fair. Dark Souls like progression. Hard, then you get better and sections become easier from learning moves and combos. Get get better weapons, earlier sections become trivial, new sections always feel hard.

It's more linear though with the mission system, so it isn't like one giant world, rather big maps. However, they too have the shortcut mechanics of the Souls games.

One of my most anticipated games.
Hmm, fair enough. Some of comments on otber forums suggested that it was considerably more difficult than Souls, which could I guess mean a number of things. But if it's considerably harder than, say, Dark Souls 2 DLC, it might be beyond my capabilities.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
But if it's considerably harder than, say, Dark Souls 2 DLC, it might be beyond my capabilities.

It isn't.

Dark Souls games are more of an open world, progress tied to getting better, learning moves, and if enemies are too hard, you try searching for a different area or grind for a while to get some items so you can upgrade your weapon of choice. In Souls games you don't get drops that make the area you are in significantly easier. In Nioh you can use a common sword, then get a epic spear that suddenly destroys the enemies you've been struggling with or armor that lets you absorb far more damage.

Since Nioh has level based missions, the path is more linear. Progress through levels has to happen, and is basically granted by the drop system. If you get stuck at an area, dying constantly to mob #10 of 20 on the way to a shrine (bonfire), mobs 1-9 will continuously drop loot. This way progress will happen naturally. It won't just happen through learning the map and acting quickly, but also by a direct increase in power from drops as you keep trying. Also, in difficult areas, people die, in Nioh, you can summon ghost npcs of dead players, and they drop loot too.

In the demo, grinding for 15-20 minutes for souls/drops at the start of an area I was having difficulty with would basically power me through most, if not all, "skill" based progress to the point of nearly oneshotting the mission bosses.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

DrSpooge

Blackwing Lair Raider
Sounds good. l My first DS2 playthrough was a pure STR build, but I didn't do the Dlc until I got the Scholar edition, and being a hexer put me in a world of hurt whe playing the first of the dlc's. I think I'd despawned a lot of the second area - as well as the mobs on the bridge that led to it - trying to get through it.