Nioh (Team Ninja)

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
FightinCowboy being the man:

It's obvious this isn't all the weapons. And I know the first one changed a good deal between its initial alpha and the release so here's hoping they tweek things. I'm actually good with the major systems being left alone (I really hate sequels being practically a different game in areas personally), but I do hope that a ninja/omnyo build can actually be viable throughout.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
The biggest turn off for me in the first game was inventory management and loot. I wanted to like it, but I couldn’t even make it through the DLC after beating the game. I’ll probably pick this up eventually as I did enjoy the game, just not the end game.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider

I was going to post this but glad you did. I think this is going to be my first CE. Super pumped. Looks to be taking place during Nobunaga's run. And holy shit to the scythe. I hope that is a weapon. I'd be willing to give up my axe for that.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
New UI is looking to make it worth being called a sequel alone.

1568394818674.png

That is MUCH better and ... god fuck the tab based bullshit and having to hit R1 80 times to get to helms from usable items fuck that shit.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
I hate how unrealistically top heavy “she” is. 0/10. Trash game.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Well while waiting on the Nioh 2 Alpha and then release my adult nephew and I have decided to get as far in the Abyss as we can. I had two characters: A "meathead" Axe heavy build and a "ninjy" throwing build. Throwing just goes to shit and you can revive it and it actually does decent damage, but you are wide open to anything that sneezes on you. My axe build absolutely destroys everything and can just about survive anything thrown his way, but holy shit it's boring because I'm literally doing one move the entire time. Welp I crafted me a bunch of the highest damage range regular (non set) Kusarigama I could, and set to defiling them until I got the grace of Ameratsu (or something like that) 2 pc defense 3 pc lots of life 4 pc CCD 13.7%. And after some false starts due to me forgetting to defile before hitting the first boss, and other stupid fuck ups, I finally got the grace I wanted.

So I am rocking Axe and Kusarigama. 4 piece Grace of Ameratsu. 4 piece Obsidan Samurai. 4 piece Tatenashi. Kato and Centipede for my guardian spirits. I do almost all basic bitch stuff with High Stance wrecking ball Kusarigama. Then I switch to Axe for any big yokai (Tongue Monks, Ravens, shit like that). And then depending on the boss pop living weapon and roll either one. Over 100% reduced firearms. Over 100% Elemental Damage reduction while guarding. ~60% CCD with ~50% to skills on the Axe (Star buff to Titanic Strength and just raw Skill damage). It is a really fun build.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Namon Namon
If you put the time in, dual swords is the strongest build but you need top tier everything, throwing is second, and axe is a much lower third. That said you can get away with end game axe build with sub par equipment.
One example:
Paralyze build:
The easiest one is sustained damage where you just use the flurry attack and kill everything with the one move. Shit is wild.

That said I never liked dual swords in Nioh.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Hatorade Hatorade Sorry this got long with all the Edits but here you go.

I can't stand dual swords. I dunno yeah Sign of the Cross is cool and all, but kind of like Titanic Strength, it just gets boring after a while. And really Maraboshi doesn't show anything because legit it's completely pre made for you to cheese the fuck out of. Lay a paralyze trap and do your best "charge" skill: Sign of the Cross, Ia Quick Draw, Spinning Spear etc when they stupidly run right into it and freeze themselves. Also coupled with the fact that I just don't seem to "spec" them right. It's mostly because I absolutely hate investing into heart and that's a major chunk of scaling for both them and the other swords.

Throwing is amazing, if you keep it simple and that's what I stopped doing because I was listening to the min maxxers who take things to crazy complicated levels to just eek out a small % more damage. Go full Iga, inherit mostly just thrown weapon damage (not x2). make sure you have agility damage bonus and ninjutsu damage. AND snag Long Range attack, Kunai and Shuriken, and get the kunai and storm kunai specific buffs on arms. I'm actually working towards that on my ninja once I get my meathead settled.

And I can't say this specifically, but Axe actually destroys my other build right now. Their "on paper" stuff is off or something, because I rolled axe from the start, and I stuck with stamina so I could rock heavy armor and axe. Going in, I didn't care I was sacrificing damage, because I really wanted heavy armor. However, stamina REALLY scales almost better than strength on axes, so I stuck with that. I also joined the Todo Clan which buffs Stamina life scaling and further increases heavy armor wearing damage (forget the actual wording). I'm averaging 300 +38 on all my stuff and Titanic Strength does near 30k straight up and if I have weakness on the guy, it rockets up to the 50-60k range. And Lumber Chop is just dumb like 100k levels and I'm not even close to being optimized for chop, I focus on Titanic Strength. It's because of this, I stick with Axe. I could rock Duals instead of Axe and get roughly the same results, but you definitely need to focus on other stats (mainly heart skill strength) I like my axe/kusa and focusing on Stamina Body and Skill

That first video is from April 2017. Pre 2nd and 3rd DLC so it may be out of date. Lots of nerfs and newer armor sets, including graces changed alot of that up. I don't doubt that guy but he actually had one that was updated to reflect the changes from the 3rd DLC (which also includes the stat cap being 200 now). My approach though, is to never go all in on getting your core stats to 200 because you sacrifice utility in doing that. I stop at 150 and boost up magic, and some others that help with survival.

Edit 2: Ok just watched the whole thing. Dude's techniques are solid. He isn't just depending on SoTC, which is great. I love his combo of sign of the cross into the mob, then go into the wild blade thing. That is awesome. His parry skills are far above mine though so that would not be how my runs would look :) With that said the Kusa has an identical move as the flurry, and it's just as potent. Even though it is outdated, I can testify to the absolute insanity that is Armor of the Exceptional. It is a powerhouse for damage. I'd love to use that, but the way I gear up (one piece of Tats is a minimum requirement for me because 100% RFA is a must), I have to use the spear, and frankly I like to switch between both weapons, and the spear is just too bi polar. When you can fully use it without bouncing off walls and rocks, and specs of dust (even with the mystic art), tornado is absolutely devastating. But it decides to get all "bouncy" in the worst of times so it's too unreliable. What I will do though, is take out the CCD on the weapons and put skill damage on instead. Holy shit balls I never knew there were diminishing returns on damage perks since it's just raw percentages.

Last edited:

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah it is like you could do all that or just face tank in heavy and spin to win.

Well spin to win just gets boring as all of the Block + Heavy skills do, but damn they are just so awesome in their damage output and animations. Plus you always are default to blocking so it's easier to time openings. I loved his combo of SoTC as a gap closer/opening and going into that flurry. I have it on my Kusa, and it legit is mind blowing how fast it destroys things. I may do a dual sword/hatchet build in Nioh 2 if they scale similarly.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
Release date announced and open beta this weekend:

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
Release date announced and open beta this weekend:

Yep doing a binge this weekend with my nephew and playing this non stop for 48 hours. March 13th is a bummer, I was hoping for Mid February like Nioh 1 but whatever.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Nioh is one of the PS+ games for November too. Pretty sure it's just the base game though.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user