Nioh (Team Ninja)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Seems like a mix of Ninja Gaiden and Dark Souls, with a samurai. Shit looks really cool. Announced at PSX as a "console exclusive", so there's a possibility of PC version since it didn't say PS4 exclusive like some other stuff.

Gameplay trailer(don't mind the wrong youtube page or thumbnail, they fucked up the upload):

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Looks good, but after NG3 and NGZ it's hard to be optimistic about Team Ninja games. They're shooting for 1080p60 this time though, so at least it's guaranteed to be a better game than NGZ.

I hope they make the difficulty equal to Ninja Gaiden's Master Ninja. The tears of the "git gud" retards seeing what real challenge in a game looks like would be delicious. Not that I'd be able to beat it either most likely, but it would still be amusing.

And unless something just changed drastically, it's not just a console exclusive but a PS4 exclusive. Sony isn't involved in publishing, so there could be a PC version at a later date, but most Koei Tecmo ports are garbage-tier so I definitely wouldn't put off playing the game while hoping for that to happen. If it runs at 60 fps without massive amounts of tearing (NG3 says hi) then there's not really a point in waiting anyway.

Column_sl

shitlord
People on stream are saying its tougher then Dark Souls but not in a good way.

Bullshit mechanics, and cheap shit.

You can watch it on Twitch right now there are people streaming it early

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Played a bit and yeah, this is very brutal. Normal trash can kill you in 2 hits, and it's a bit more actiony in that you have to learn to combo shit together between stances, I think?

Stamina management is also a big deal, if you gas out your character is basically staggered and can't move.

Will try a bit more tommorrow but this feels several notches up from any Souls game.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Played a few hours last night. It's not too bad if you go slowly, but there are some spots where 3+ mobs come at you and you basically just have to run and hope some peel off or you're fucked. Taking on several trash mobs is asking to die as its nearly impossible to get hits on them without one fucking you up, allowing others to hit and kill you. Most areas I got raped in I figured out a way to single pull or peel some off.

It really reminded me of a souls ripoff when I started but got less so as I went on. Some of the stuff like the leveling system, collecting 'souls' from mobs is a straight rip though. It does reproduce the tension that the souls games have, my wife came in the room mid fight and laughed, "are you super concentrating right now?". "Yes I am don't fuck me up!"

Vorph

Yeah, throwing rocks is key for pulling, and the bow can OHKO most things that don't have a metal helmet on.

Only two big negatives for me were adjusting to the controls being so different from Dark Souls, and that the durability mechanic is about as terrible as Dark Souls 2 running at 60fps pre-SotFS. There's a spot in the options for changing control schemes which currently only has one choice, but hopefully for release they have a scheme that is more Souls-like. The durability thing just needs a complete redesign, it's fucking retarded.

I still haven't finished the demo yet, but it has at least bumped the game up to a rental at this point. You get some sort of bonus DLC content for beating it, btw.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah I'm just curious how much further it is. I'm only to the second prayer point. I may get it someday as I get free games from my job, but I don't want to sink ten hours into a demo just for some item that's probably only good for a few starting levels.

I don't like the decay system (I don't like decay in any game period) either but once you get to the second altar there are two easy zombies you can farm for gear and just offer it all to the altar. You will get repair kits which basically nullifies the decay. I'd rather they just remove it but whatever.

Vorph

The demo is big. There's another whole area and a second boss after the pirate ship.

One other thing I hope they work on before release is that katanas seem vastly outclassed by spears and (especially) axes/hammers.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
They outclass them in damage but I can't deal with their speed. So slow, quick enemies tear me up if I try using them. I have only been able to reliably move forward while using katanas.

Vorph

Spears are actually really fast; katanas are a bit faster but the range advantage more than makes up for the difference. The move that swaps positions with an enemy while giving you free hits to their back just destroys the trash mobs. I can't figure out the parry timing on the other while-guarding move (Twirl) though, I've yet to do it successfully even once.

Against bosses hammers are king, especially the Heaven & Earth move.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
That is correct. I set it at the "Resolution" setting for better graphics. Haven't noticed any unacceptable frame dips so just left it there.