No Man's Sky

xzi

Mouthbreather
Yeah, definitely not an AAA game. But for a modern game it does feel extremely small. Procedural generation will do that.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
The formula they use for all the proceedural generation is extremely lean in terms of code required and bandwidth/processing power to utilize it as well.

Jalynfane

Phank 2002
Hopefully they continue to add content. I got the game after watching streams for a bit, will start playing Friday night and binge it a bit. I played the heck out of minecraft, hope this is as robust a few years down the road. It can be fleshed out more I agree.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
The formula they use for all the proceedural generation is extremely lean in terms of code required and bandwidth/processing power to utilize it as well.

For some reason, this made me think of;

pied-piper.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lenas

Trump's Staff
So if I keep the good stuff in my suit, the chances of getting ganked are lower?
I tested this out some more since you got me curious, and I haven't been attacked one time since I moved all of my valuables from ship to suit inventory.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
That'd be great if the relative value of your cargo is mathed up vs. the relative power of your weapons/defenses before it hits a threshold that pirates are excited about. I mean simple in terms of how we think, but to just be a generic auto-sort deal as an interesting sublayer to the gameplay in that area. Would probably include factors like faction standings, nearness to the "center" etc.

Can't wait to not be at work to give it a go.

ValkyrieIATD

Silver Knight of the Realm
How are the OCD/Ultra-completionists handling this game? I feel like NMS would cause them to have a nervous breakdown followed by an aneurysm.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying this. It's simultaneously relaxing and exciting. But I can completely understand why your typical Call of Duty slackjaw would think this is the worst game ever created; there's minimal hand-holding, clear direction or visceral action.

The idea of putting my mark on a tiny corner of an almost limitless galaxy is very satisfying. I know some people don't give a shit about naming things, but I'm enthralled with finding planets, flora and fauna that nobody else has seen before and giving them weirdly appropriate names. Hopefully someday they'll integrate a notification system that lets you know if another player stumbles across your claimed discoveries.

• 1Like

Lenas

Trump's Staff
I have given up trying to 100% scan any planet with flying animals. Honestly, fuck them. Half of my milestones are completed and I have the final "Galileo" milestone rank but only 3 planets fully scanned. The funny part is that none of the 3 had any animals and were 100% by default.

How are the OCD/Ultra-completionists handling this game? I feel like NMS would cause them to have a nervous breakdown followed by an aneurysm.

Knowing that you can't do it all is comforting in the sense that I don't feel compelled to finish a planet if it's 90% garbage (hostile environment, angry animals, evil robots). However if it's resource heavy I will grab some expensive shit and then peace out to the next one.

Not every planet is a fun one to explore and if you don't like it, you can just say "Fuck this gay Earth."

No Man’s Sky removes the tyranny of having to see it all

Last edited:

xzi

Mouthbreather
It's a welcome change to not have artificial goals necessarily like exploring 100% of the planet you're on, etc. I'm definitely somebody who is an achievement whore / completionist in games so it's going to be interesting just.. forcing myself to let things go, lol

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I said this a day or two ago, but there is a (whether intentional or unintentional) theme of waste in the game that is very compelling.

Here's what I said about it before

One of my favorite themes of this game, whether it be intentional or not, is waste.

Everything about this game is a statement on waste in the universe

You have literally quadrillions of planets, full of beautiful scenery, interesting "life", sights and wonders unique and totally your own to behold and no one else's to see, and you're supposed to skip like 99% of it, stopping only to suck up the resources you require, to use the environment to your ends, and then cast the rest off as chaff.

Its a statement on the disposability of life in general. A bleak view where that which is most beautiful is also most worthy of being tossed in the trash.

• 1Like

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Waste as in like, there's so much water you can drink your fill as much as you want and not have to worry about spilling it, or throwing it around. You can take what you want, cast the rest off without a care.

I dunno.

Its like Buddhist in a way, like Zen. Life is temporal. Beauty is temporal. Waste may not be the perfect word for it...but its close.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Just pre-ordered this based on Hodj hype. Your reputation is on the line.

• 1Like

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
Well I hope I've been honest enough about its niche-ness that you've felt forewarned going in.

rush02112

Golden Knight of the Realm
DRM free from GOG and you guys still going to pay AAA price for an indie game?

• 2Bullshit
Reactions: 1 users

Faith

Useless lazy bastard.
Dont use the bonus ship (if you got it) before you done the missions to repair the original one on the first planet. Can screw up/delay shit.

Brad2770

Already saw stuff about that. Just bought the generic digital copy. Though the game keeps crashing at the beginning as its flying through the stars.