No Man's Sky

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
The base building just brings it more in line for comparison to other games like Empyrion that just do more, with a small team, in early access.... etc. :p

Seriously, if any of you have a sci-fi Minecraft itch, Empyrion is probably the thing for you. They just added like 30 new "block" shapes and decorative shit. And base building does have a point because you can outfit your base with turrets to shoot down the asshole drones that periodically come after you. And also you can't make anything fancy without a base I guess. Until you make a capital vessel and have a mobile base that can fly in space or come down to the planet.

Cybsled

Did they ever update space engineers with a tutorial? I couldn't figure out jackshit in that game building wise.

Cybsled

I may have to look again. I bought Empyrian and am trying to figure that out. Can you make underground bases? I haven't figured out the building stuff yet (looks like you need to make some blueprint base in order to start building).

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
If you're in survival mode in Empyrion there's like a task/quest/something tracker that guides you through making stuff, although it can make you do stuff you don't really need to do to progress (super basic yet). You can make a base anywhere you can plonk down a base CPU block thingy, and they just added "sub" bases so it doesn't all have to be physically connected anymore.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
They won an award at gdc last night and got nominated for another. Twitch chat was not pleased.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

xzi

Mouthbreather
I mean, they won the award for innovation, say what you want about the game but it was a huge technological achievement compared to other games in 2016.

kind of hilarious though, even they didn't expect to win and were out to dinner instead

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I mean, they won the award for innovation, say what you want about the game but it was a huge technological achievement compared to other games in 2016.

kind of hilarious though, even they didn't expect to win and were out to dinner instead

Yea but that's like solar roadways winning the Nobel Prize because it's an amazing idea. Too bad it's also impractical and a piece of shit that will never amount to anything.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

xzi

Mouthbreather
Yeah but if nothing else came out in 2016 at the same time of solar roadways, there's not many other options to give the nobel prize to.

What other innovation was there? overwatch? it's just a fps moba

Maybe it'll serve as a wake-up call to everyone.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Did they win the Innovation award in fraud? That would have made more sense.

Last edited:
  • 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
What the fuck in the actual released game, that we can play right now, was innovative? There was innovative stuff in the trailers and gameplay videos they showed but that isn't the game we got. I can't think of anything in NMS we haven't seen elsewhere first? Maybe the RNG flora/fauna but that's not even innovative, that's taking already existing concepts and applying them more broadly. Wee.

Minecraft has more interesting world generation AND with mods you can have infinite(ish) worlds you can jump to at a whim. Give them the award.

Note, I will grant that there's nothing exactly like NMS, but that is true for basically every game. I'm honestly trying to find the innovation here and I can't. The innovation WOULD have been the big picture, game-as-a-whole experience, which never materialized (or did and got walked back because it didn't work).

• 1Like

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

The smug comments from other indie blue hairs in that tweet is infuriating.

I'm paraphrasing to save you time:

" woohoo! You deserved it"!

"You go girl!"

" just add trans aliens and the game is complete!"

• 1Like

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
I wish I won awards for the ideas that I never execute

• 3Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 4 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
The smug comments from other indie blue hairs in that tweet is infuriating.

I'm paraphrasing to save you time:

" woohoo! You deserved it"!

"You go girl!"

" just add trans aliens and the game is complete!"

But you could land on a planet and not have a loading screen!

And they did a hell of a job on hiding those Skyboxes!