No Rest For The Wicked - A Souls Like ARPG

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I was looking forward to this, but it definitely sounds like more EA trash - which I'm not necessarily opposed to, but for $35? Nah, dawg. From what I've seen, it almost just seems like a worse version of V Rising atm.
I mean it just started and V Rising is about done with EA after like what, 2 years, so yeah obviously they're not gonna be at the same level. I usually don't play/buy games in EA though so for me it wasn't even a question, I'll see the state of the game once they announce a release, until then I don't really care how the game is, some games evolve a lot over EA, some are shit the whole time, can't really predict this stuff and I have little interest in playing beta when I have dozens of high quality games on my backlog in pretty much every genre I like anyway.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
I love this game!

I am on 2080 and have had almost no performance issues. Like maybe a few animation slowdowns on large creature fights near walls. Probably put in 4+ hours today and the slowdowns were maybe 2 mins in total.

Last edited:

Terial

Trakanon Raider
game is really fun if you don't focus on trying to max out graphics and get 60fps. Try the game for what it is and not for how it "should" run. Remember, it's early access. (old school beta lol)
Anyway, spent a ton of time exploring, climbing, fighting, trying out daggers, swords, 2h swords, shields, magic. Game has a ton to offer. Did a quest in a cave where at the halfway point you unlock invisible pathing which was unexpected and kinda neat.
I've died more in this games "intro" than any souls game thus far. Still trying to get use to the stamina/dodge/parry mechanic.
Fog of war is intersting, over time the fog will recover parts of the map you did with about a 50% opacity, so you can still see the areas you've done and what they looks like, and all the loot comes back as well (like chests and misc items on floor), not sure if the enemies do, as I've not had them respawn as of yet (except for in that cave quest).

Overall, I think it's worth a try, but yea, it's a controller game, i tried Keyboard and mouse and it was not comfortable. PS5 controller works just fine (except the game has no clue and keeps referencing xbox mapping.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I love this game!

I am on 2080 and have had almost no performance issues. Like maybe a few animation slowdowns on large creature fights near walls. Probably put in 4+ hours today and the slowdowns were maybe 2 mins in total.
Same on my 7800XT, I have it locked to 60 at 3440x1440 and it stays there almost all the time except when a big drop happens for a second or two. Seems like a combination of shader caching and loading assets that weren't ready when the game needed them.

Also, the game doesn't even have DLSS yet, let alone FSR.

Loot system combined with stats that [so far] can't be changed once spent is a bit frustrating and to me much more of an issue than the durability system (which only seems really bad for tools like the axe, pick, and shovel). I started with a claymore and have found 3 or 4 more claymores that are less dmg than the first, plus a handful of other weapons I can't equip without spending points on stats that will be useless to me if I don't like the weapon and just go back to my claymore. So instead of trying anything new I just put more points into str/sta/hp. Weight is a really big problem too, there's so many hidden areas to explore in the first area but if you do that you'll be so overloaded that you can't roll by the time you get to the boss before you find a place where you can sell/store items.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
This is really good. Very painful and makes me want to throw my controller (as all Souls-type games do), but very atmospheric and different.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Same on my 7800XT, I have it locked to 60 at 3440x1440 and it stays there almost all the time except when a big drop happens for a second or two. Seems like a combination of shader caching and loading assets that weren't ready when the game needed them.

Also, the game doesn't even have DLSS yet, let alone FSR.

Loot system combined with stats that [so far] can't be changed once spent is a bit frustrating and to me much more of an issue than the durability system (which only seems really bad for tools like the axe, pick, and shovel). I started with a claymore and have found 3 or 4 more claymores that are less dmg than the first, plus a handful of other weapons I can't equip without spending points on stats that will be useless to me if I don't like the weapon and just go back to my claymore. So instead of trying anything new I just put more points into str/sta/hp. Weight is a really big problem too, there's so many hidden areas to explore in the first area but if you do that you'll be so overloaded that you can't roll by the time you get to the boss before you find a place where you can sell/store items.
Should be zero reason to be inventory capped by the time you reach the first boss. Fillmore is easily available before the boss, and then he spawns right at the respawn Whisper next to the boss.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Should be zero reason to be inventory capped by the time you reach the first boss. Fillmore is easily available before the boss, and then he spawns right at the respawn Whisper next to the boss.
Guess I somehow forgot about him by the time I got close to the boss area.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
HOWEVER - its a third party site, be careful because Steam won't let you refund it if you don't like it.
Eh, not that it matters much. Steams refund policy is pretty ass anyhow.

• 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 user

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
The fuck?
Played 2hrs 1 minute? Fuck you, pay me. Game older than 2 weeks since purchase? Fuck you, pay me.

To be fair, the 2hr playtime thing I don't have as much of an issue with(although I think it should be increased to 5). But the 2 week thing is just dumb. I don't always have time RIGHT NOW to play a game after I buy it. And while people will rebut with, "LULZ DON'T BUY IT IF YOU CAN'T PLAY IT DUMB DUMB!", I typically only buy shit when it's on sale knowing that I'll be able to get to it in a few weeks.

5hrs and 3 months is what I'd like to see it increased to. But I do realize it's better than nothing. I think the policy is ass, but it's sadly one of the best out there.

• 3Picard
Reactions: 2 users

Terial

Trakanon Raider
sooo turns out there is this bug right now that lets you literally fast travel to any spot on the map... and I mean ANY spot. Seems to only work with controllers.
Basically, move the cursor to where you want to teleport and L3, boom, instant teleport.
Enjoy, or not, use this as you see fit :)

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
Played 2hrs 1 minute? Fuck you, pay me. Game older than 2 weeks since purchase? Fuck you, pay me.

To be fair, the 2hr playtime thing I don't have as much of an issue with(although I think it should be increased to 5). But the 2 week thing is just dumb. I don't always have time RIGHT NOW to play a game after I buy it. And while people will rebut with, "LULZ DON'T BUY IT IF YOU CAN'T PLAY IT DUMB DUMB!", I typically only buy shit when it's on sale knowing that I'll be able to get to it in a few weeks.

5hrs and 3 months is what I'd like to see it increased to. But I do realize it's better than nothing. I think the policy is ass, but it's sadly one of the best out there.
Strong disagree here.

I’ve used Steam’s refund policy many, many times over the past few years. They basically let you demo any game you want and return it if you aren’t completely satisfied. Compared to other platforms I think most if not all you’re only getting a refund if the game is completely broken.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
It's 2h baseline but depending on your history and the game they will refund sometimes. 2 hours should be plenty to refund games that don't work or demo things you don't know you will like, point isn't to clear a game and then being like "meh I didn't like it I want my money back", there's pirating for that.

The 2 weeks after purchase however I can feel is a better case, it should just be longer, but I guess it'd create issues when you buy games at launch, then request a refund for full price 3years later when the game's price isn't that anymore kind of thing. Should extend it to a month or two though, pretty sure it's just 2weeks cause they're obligated to have a 14days return policy by the EU or some shit and just do it for everyone instead of having to determine if people live in the EU or not.

Ome

Molten Core Raider
Back in my days you could play the game for a week and take it back for a full refund. The golden age of gaming.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Back in my days you could play the game for a week and take it back for a full refund. The golden age of gaming.
If you buy physical games you can still do that(well pending whatever rules your shop has). If you just want to play the games for free though there's still a pirate scene and while Denuvo has fucked up the availability of some games, you can still get a good amount of them that way.

Voldeth

Trakanon Raider
After a few solid hours (just beat Risen Twins boss for reference) I have to say that I'm a bit underwhelmed. For a game that is clearly inspiring itself from Souls, the boss fights have been incredibly bland. I'm also on a better PC than most (4090, 64 GB ram, I9 149000) and I suffer some performance issues that are annoying. The biggest complaint which has already been echoed is the inventory management. I'm not sure who okay'd this but please fire that person, no one enjoys that aspect and it doesn't add anything except annoyance.

From a positive standpoint, the world is clearly crafted with love and I enjoy the exploration immensely. While I haven't found anything OP, loot there's a good loot variety without feeling like too much is dropping. In short, it's an Early Access game that needs some work and a new inventory system; nothing amazing but still with some fun. Definitely recommend looking back into this when EA is done though.