[NO Spoilers] Star Wars: Episode 7 - NO PUSSY SHIT

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I can't remember if it was a Star Wars book series or some other sci-fi that I read 20 years ago, but I remember a book series with a light saber-type weapon where the hilt of the energy sword had needles in it that pierced into your hand/bloodstream, and only people who were attuned genetically to the Force or whatever it was, could operate one. The connection/needles would kill a common person. That physical connection also provided a mental connection with the sword, and using the sword in battle drained your mental stamina as well as your physical stamina, exhausting you maybe quicker than a traditional weapon, thus balancing its OPness. Can't remember what book series that was for the life of me, but I always thought it was a really cool concept...

Caliane

I can't remember if it was a Star Wars book series or some other sci-fi that I read 20 years ago, but I remember a book series with a light saber-type weapon where the hilt of the energy sword had needles in it that pierced into your hand/bloodstream, and only people who were attuned genetically to the Force or whatever it was, could operate one. The connection/needles would kill a common person. That physical connection also provided a mental connection with the sword, and using the sword in battle drained your mental stamina as well as your physical stamina, exhausting you maybe quicker than a traditional weapon, thus balancing its OPness. Can't remember what book series that was for the life of me, but I always thought it was a really cool concept...
This on the other hand, I find retarded. Sith Lord Edgy Mcedgerson. Favorite colors are black and red. Cuts himself to make his sith powers stronger. hates his dad.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
yea, lightsabers aren't powered by the force man. They're gadgets with components. The crystals are just something they use to make them.

The cool jedi trick is that they have the on button inside the case, in a unique spot, so only the owner can turn it on and off, with the force.
Show me where in the movies they talk about crystals powering light sabers? Not everything in a story needs to be explained. No one really gives a fuck how light sabers are powered. fact is, it's cooler that they just exist than trying to explain how they are powered; either by lame ass crystals, double D batteries or glade plug ins. This is exactly why the prequels (and these books) suck so hard. Han Solo had no problem at all using Luke's light saber in Empire Strikes Back, and not once while watching any of the Star Wars movies did I find myself asking "I wonder how long a light saber lasts before they need to be recharged?"

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Just because you aren't interested in exactly how a lightsaber works doesn't mean that nobody else is. I imagine at least some of the exposition for how various things worked was driven by the RPGs and not the novels.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
Didnt you have to collect different colored crystals to create lightsabers in the KOTOR games?

Agraza

Registered Hutt
It's science-fiction. Or it pretends to be anyway. How dare they explain how stuff works?! I don't get why it bothers you so much. In Star Trek they're always going off about matter/anti-matter and dilithium crystals and what-not. Same shit. They throw some words at you about how stuff works and slide on by.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Like Blade's sword?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Didnt you have to collect different colored crystals to create lightsabers in the KOTOR games?
That was my first introduction to the workings of lightsabers. Blue, Yellow, Green, Red, and Violet. There were also two unique color crystals you could find near the end of the game on the PC version, which were Orange and sort of Turquoise respectively. Kotor 2 added Bronze, Cyan, Viridian, and Silver. Force Unleashed went full retard and added all sorts of colors.

The Ancient_sl

shitlord
That was my first introduction to the workings of lightsabers. Blue, Yellow, Green, Red, and Violet. There were also two unique color crystals you could find near the end of the game on the PC version, which were Orange and sort of Turquoise respectively. Kotor 2 added Bronze, Cyan, Viridian, and Silver. Force Unleashed went full retard and added all sorts of colors.
13 colors is cool

ANY MORE IS FULL RETARD

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I think the real question here is if you had a fully functional lightsaber in your home, what would you set your life expectancy at? I'd probably accidentally kill myself the first week.

Caliane

I think the real question here is if you had a fully functional lightsaber in your home, what would you set your life expectancy at? I'd probably accidentally kill myself the first week.
Pretty high, I mean, I have a chainsaw in my house. I don't try to deflect bullets with it. Don't try to juggle it, or any other retarded thing, that would result in bodily harm.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I just spent two hours trying to remember this shit. It's from the Star of the Guardians series by Margaret Weis. The Bloodsword. Fuck you!

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Show me where in the movies they talk about crystals powering light sabers? Not everything in a story needs to be explained. No one really gives a fuck how light sabers are powered. fact is, it's cooler that they just exist than trying to explain how they are powered; either by lame ass crystals, double D batteries or glade plug ins. This is exactly why the prequels (and these books) suck so hard. Han Solo had no problem at all using Luke's light saber in Empire Strikes Back, and not once while watching any of the Star Wars movies did I find myself asking "I wonder how long a light saber lasts before they need to be recharged?"
I think that too. Why do you need an explanation for everything? The same thing with Force/midichlorians, or alien's origin/prometheus.

Joeboo

Molten Core Raider
I just spent two hours trying to remember this shit. It's from the Star of the Guardians series by Margaret Weis. The Bloodsword. Fuck you!
YES! Good call, I read those when I was about 14, no chance I was remembering that. I liked that series a lot (as a teenager)

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
The problem being as soon as someone starts talking about crystals and the power they have, it immediately enters into a hippy / new age area of BS self help mumble jumble.

Caliane

nah. the crystal thing is pretty reasonable. That is something fairly established. "building a lightsaber" as part of jedi coming of age has been a thing since the original series. A deleted scene, as well as Luke still having a new one and Vader commenting on it in Jedi.

And lightsabers being a power source, +focusing crystal which just defines the color. They aren't magic or anything.