Noise Canceling Headphones for Flights

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
There is already a headphone thread so I may just merge this with that one or something in the end but since I am looking for something specific for flying I figured this was different enough that it would warrant it's own... either way, I am looking for a decent set of noise canceling headphones I can use for flights and also use to game with during the week while I am living out of hotels so I can call you all dirty names in discord. Right now I have narrowed it down to three but they are at different price points plus I wanted to see what some of you guys might be using.

The first and the gold standard seem to be these Bose 35 for $350

This Sony option is said to be pretty damn good and same quality as the Bose or maybe even a little better for $350

The cheap option are these COWIN E7 for $80

My first thought is to go with the cheapest option given the price difference but I also don't mind paying for quality if it will make my travel experience better it will be worth the cost. So I am asking you guys for some suggestions. Any of you have any of the above and can offer some first hand experience? Are any of these also useful for gaming or am I boned in this area? Should I be looking for something different all together?

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
I have the QC35 and they are the greatest invention man has made. If you travel the least bit regularly, they are worth every penny. Also very handy for muting the wife and kids when gaming.

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I tried the Bose first and didn't like the noise canceling because it had a pressurized feel to it is the best way I can describe it. I sent the Bose back and got the Sony's and have loved them ever since. Never heard of the Cowin's. If you can find a place to try them out I would definitely do so. It really comes down to personal preference. I've used the Sony's for gaming and they are decent enough.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
I have these when i travel Audio-Technica ATH-ANC7B QuietPoint Active Noise-Cancelling Closed-Back Headphones, Wired

they're great and at 1/3 the price of bose

my wife has earphones Audio-Technica ATH-ANC23 QuietPoint Active Noise-Cancelling In-Ear Headphones obviously they are not as good, however my wife wasn't gonna carry around big headphones, while these earphones weigh nothing, so theres that trade off.

I can look into the top pair but I cant stand ear buds, I haven't had a pair I have tried that were comfortable to wear after a few minutes. Plus 90% of the time the sound quality is sub par. I need some big ear muff fucking things to drown out the wailing swamp rats in coach.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Thread is relevant to my interests since my phone doesn't have a traditional headphone jack. Been eyeing the Bose

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Have had both the Sony’s and the Bose, returned Bose and kept Sony. Sound was better on Sony’s, but Bose noise canceling seemed slightly better

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
I'll put my vote in towards Bose. All options have pretty high audio fidelity, Bose honestly being mid tier, but their noise canceling blows my mind. Can have the headset on with nothing playing, and even the mild ringing in my ears from years of raves and concerts is gone. Sony fidelity is about a 70-75%, Bose about 65%. Noise canceling Bose is 100%. For fidelity, no noise canceling option is even a consideration.

Ultimately you need to be able to try them on. Everyone's head is shaped differently, and comfort is variable. Best Buy has a lot of headsets setup for this purpose. Can you rest your head sideways without the cone smashing into your ear or the support structure hitting the top of your head? Are they clunky or too heavy? I've had some that fold, but while convenient, tend to break. Some are much better than most.

Ultimately, money speaks. Wouldn't go less than $200. If noise canceling is your end game, Bose. I have a separate set of buds for the gym, separate set for gaming, etc.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
Well the overall seems to be go with the Bose or the Sony both are $350, there have been some solid endorsements for both. I need to stop by the Amazon show room AKA Best Buy to try these things on then tell the blue shirt cocksmoker that I don't want $100 moster HDMI cables before I go home and order them online.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Well the overall seems to be go with the Bose or the Sony both are $350, there have been some solid endorsements for both. I need to stop by the Amazon show room AKA Best Buy to try these things on then tell the blue shirt cocksmoker that I don't want $100 moster HDMI cables before I go home and order them online.
google "bose outlet" there might be one near you, i did that when i tested them out, i didn't like em much.

bring alcohol wipes, you get like 100x for a 1$ at the dollar store.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Fortunately these days they give zero fucks since there's no commission. It's the dick bag trying to pawn satellite TV you gotta avoid.

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
google "bose outlet" there might be one near you, i did that when i tested them out, i didn't like em much.

bring alcohol wipes, you get like 100x for a 1$ at the dollar store.
In china I'm sure they all suck. I kid.