NOLA, Nashville, or ?

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Looking for a southern city withing a days drive from St. Louis in November. I'm hoping the temperatures will be much more moderate south of us.

We'll have about a week to explore, especially by car since I don't walk very well. Hiking for the wife isn't out of the question, as I can kick back at the car and enjoy scenery.

New Orleans has a certain appeal since I've not been there. We've also tossed around a trip to West Virginia or eastern Tennessee.

I would 'consider' Texas; we've covered so many miles in that state, but I'd be tempted to go back just for the BBQ.

eXarc

Trakanon Raider
Dude, please come to New Orleans. It's a fucking amazing city to visit. When do you plan on going?

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just pray you don't get robbed or shot while here(nola)!

Seriously though, I feel like there are probably a number of things you could do here that don't require much walking. Many things you can take at your own pace such as the d-day museum or the riverwalk have plenty of seating throughout so you can always stop and take a break. You could take a cruise on a riverboat or swamp tour if that interests you. Not sure how difficult walking is, but the french quarter may be considered a bit of walking, but there is jackson square where you can rest or duck into any one of the many bars and the beginning part of the french market has recently been redone nicely with seating and lots of food vendors. The back end of the french market is just mass produced touristy junk.

I'm not kidding about getting robbed or shot though, you do not want to be walking in the quarter alone or just with your wife at night.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
If he's from Saint Louis he probably knows all about getting robbed and shot.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Nashville is great and I would suggest visiting to anyone who even slightly gives a shit about music.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
Yeah, I think it's going to come down to Nashville or NOLA. I'd really like to take a fanboat cruise in NO, but I'm not sure if the giant motor would fuck with my pacemaker. Regardless, there are plenty of other riverboat excursions.

I've been to Memphis a handful of times, but never to Nashville. I'm going to have to do some research on that town.

We've also tossed around northern KY/Cinci/Cleveland run, too. The weather might be tricky in November.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
You really can't go wrong with Nashville or NOLA. Good places.

New Orleans is a cesspool but the french quarter area and garden district are very nice. Audubon zoo, River walk, river boat ride and Bourbon street area could kill a few days easily for a new tourist. If you decide to go here let people know because there are a bunch of good places to eat. The food in Louisiana is pretty amazing. There is a reason most of the people that live there are fucking fat asses. If you like to enjoy the night life NOLA can be a lot of fun. Just don't stray out of the area because you'll be mugged or killed.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I think you're too far east to make it really efficient to go to NW Arkansas. There are a ton of outdoor things to do up there that would be a great one or two day stop as you move on down south. But it'd be a waste of time going through Jonesboro and stopping at anything. And as much as I love Little Rock unless you had a specific interest in the Clinton Presidential Museum there's very little outside tourist draw here.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
We've also tossed around northern KY/Cinci/Cleveland run, too. The weather might be tricky in November.
Let me know if Cincy is a spot you hit up sometime. I don't live there anymore but I visit and am still connected enough to know what's up.

Fuck Cleveland.

Mures

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah, I think it's going to come down to Nashville or NOLA. I'd really like to take a fanboat cruise in NO, but I'm not sure if the giant motor would fuck with my pacemaker. Regardless, there are plenty of other riverboat excursions.
You can take a swamp tour not on a fanboat/airboat.
Swamp Tours | Jean Lafitte Swamp Tours
This place is also right next to an excellent restaurant named Restaurant Des Familles which is located right on the swamp so you have the chance to watch some gators chillin while you eat.Restaurant des Familles

Both those places are in Lafitte, which is about a 40m drive from the city. There are also a large number of charter boats that operate out of Lafitte so if that is something that interests you it has excellent fishing, I can recommend CJ RojasRojas Fishing Charters: New Orleans, Louisiana's Best Fishing with Captain CJ RojasOnly problem with that is you don't have a place to take your fish back with you when you're done. I know he gets people from all over so I don't know if he can ship it or how that works.

And for riverboats, I haven't looked at them in ages, but if its still the same, Riverboat Natchez is a little more casual, you just drift down the river and back and it has a restaurant. Riverboat Creole Queen actually drifts down to Chalmette battlefield and docks so you can walk around there, so its sounds like Natchez might be more up your alley.

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I think you're too far east to make it really efficient to go to NW Arkansas. There are a ton of outdoor things to do up there that would be a great one or two day stop as you move on down south. But it'd be a waste of time going through Jonesboro and stopping at anything. And as much as I love Little Rock unless you had a specific interest in the Clinton Presidential Museum there's very little outside tourist draw here.
Actually NW Arkansas is really doable from St. Louis because of I-44 into Joplin, then straight south. But we've kind of 'been there, done that' with that area.

Orcus_sl

shitlord
Go to New Orleans! No contest. It is unlike anywhere else in the USA, really unique history and culture with a laidback vibe I have yet to encounter anywhere else. The transplants in New Orleans aren't there for the jobs, they are there for the city. I've made countless friends from out of state that visited, or went to school there, and then never left, took lesser jobs to stay. I was raised there, even lived on Bourbon street for a few years. I miss it every day. Going down this week actually to visit. Take the streetcar up st charles ave, eat some awesome food, walk around the French Quarter, hit the Marigny for cool local nightlife, you will fall in love. There is a party or festival going on pretty much all the time somewhere in the city.

Orcus_sl

shitlord
Love this. I worked at a FQ tourist trap place called Pierre Maspero's for a couple of years. It had mice. One day there was a mouse running under people's tables while the place was packed. Busboy comes out from the kitchen with a rake or a shovel or something, can't remember, and beats it to death right there in front of everyone. Young yuppie couple got super upset, girl got up crying and ran out. Anyway, that's my New Orleans mouse-restaurant story.

Also, to go drinks are about the coolest thing ever.

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>

I've been to Memphis a handful of times, but never to Nashville. I'm going to have to do some research on that town.

So, fellas, I am taking myself to Nashville. Solo...for fun, not work. How insane is that? G and I never made it together...2 years ago Nov 9, I drove him to the ER half dead...2nd worst day of our lives....but I digress. I say solo...but I am taking some of G with me.
I got a ticket to the Friday night Amos Lee performance at the Schermerhorn Symphony Center, found a Bed and Breakfast for at least Friday night...have no room Sat. as I am not made of money and parting with 500 or more dollars to sleep a few hours...meh. ANYWAY....tell me what else do I do?
I am very anxious, but in a good way.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Broadway is absolutely worth the loads of people. Amazing bands and nowhere charges a cover. Locals will hate on it, but it's a ton of fun.

• 1Like

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I enjoyed the little bit I was there, was a week night but still pretty packed. Replace gambling with music and it's like a less sleazy feeling vegas.

• 1Like

Mrs. Gravy

Quite Saucy
<QUITE SAUCY>
Shit a Gravy post.

Did you make the trip yet Mrs. Gravy Mrs. Gravy ?
Yep,...long story to follow...First, the drive was gorgeous...the entire experience was SO much fun...even the giant fucking hangover was awesome. I got upgraded from the Queen to the King with my own entrance for both nights at my B and B, had outstanding bourbon and beers, Amos Lee and the orchestra was phenomenal (I could easily be a groupie...he is built well...and that voice, um, OK!). I had delicious food and partied my ass off. I met so many interesting people and made several new friends and as a hilarious coincidence, partied with my nephew. Unbeknownst to either of us, we each planned a weekend there.
I was seated at dinner choosing bourbon from the menu and I shot a pic of it to him telling him where I was. (He likes bourbons) He replies that he will be in Nashville by 10:30...I think he is being a smart ass...I tell him to not fuck with his favorite Auntie. He replies he is not and he will get a hold of me. SO much fun! Great music everywhere and people watching and I had to be talked down from not harming a mouthy nasty very rude woman. I used Lyft and the driver's were just perfect.
The B and B was great...Inn keepwr Peigi rocked it...the area was called 12 South. I walked around at night by myself without a care in the world. Great everything. Will return
Thanks for asking.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users