Northern California redwoods

whooleeo_sl

shitlord
Taking the wife to San Francisco and driving the coast up to Arcata for a few days. Also we are going to hit Big Sur area. I will have a car. Any locals have advice on must see stuff? We are also interested in cool out of the ordinary restaurants and shops

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Careful, wife and I went up there for a weekend getaway and ended up conceiving our son /wink

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
What kind of cuisine would be considered out of the ordinary for you? There are plenty of spots in San Francisco that offer unique dining experiences. What time of the year will you be in town?

Adam12

Molten Core Raider
Have you considered skipping Big Sur and using that time to go further north? Big Sur is great and all, but I'd consider that more of a "taking the scenic route from SoCal" thing to do. You're missing a lot of "holy shit" by not heading up to at least Gold Beach, OR.

For food, SF has anything/everything you could ask for. What are you in to? If you have a few months before you leave, you could make a reservation atThe French Laundryin Napa.

Kuriin

Just a Nurse
Go to Stinson Beach. Be a typical tourist and do Blazing Saddles -- cross the GG Bridge, down to Sausalito, and maybe even do the Tiburon Loop (Paradise Drive). There's also Mt. Diablo about 30 miles out which is also beautiful.

gn0me_sl

shitlord
Planning a similar trip this summer. It would be a big loop down I-5 from S. Oregon through Shasta area then over to Eureka and back up the coast. Gonna see some big treez.
biggrin.png

Tips on breweries/restaurants along the way? Stops and sites in/near Trinity forest? We're gonna just play it by ear and take our time.

dimstar

Silver Knight of the Realm
Just double check the road conditions along the coast. I wanted to check out big sur while out on the west coast, but some land slides or someshit knocked out the coastal road in a couple of spots and traffic was a nightmare so I bypassed it
frown.png
And Redwoods WAY better than the sequoias IMO.

frown.png