Notre Dame Manti Te'o dead girlfriend a hoax

Haast

Lord Nagafen Raider
So apparently, Te'o had a 2 hour no-cameras, limited audio interview with Jeremy Schaap (ESPN) at midnight last night with a lawyer by his side. NOTHING SUSPICIOUS ABOUT THAT.

According to this puff piece, everything is above board now (LOLOLOL).

And according to this article, there may still be some unanswered questions (YOU THINK????).

Note that absolutely no corroborating evidence was presented, just him saying "uhh, I fell for a hoax, bros. For srs." And then spouting off some more unbelievably stupid scenarios that don't jive with previous timelines.

Cool. So I guess we've established he's the biggest moron rube on the planet, or (more likely) he was banging the "perpetrator" and the fake girlfriend cover story accidentally spun out of control.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
So apparently, Te'o had a 2 hour no-cameras, limited audio interview with Jeremy Schaap (ESPN) at midnight last night with a lawyer by his side. NOTHING SUSPICIOUS ABOUT THAT.

And according to this article, there may still be some unanswered questions (YOU THINK????).

Note that absolutely no corroborating evidence was presented, just him saying "uhh, I fell for a hoax, bros. For srs." And then spouting off some more unbelievably stupid scenarios that don't jive with previous timelines.

Cool. So I guess we've established he's the biggest moron rube on the planet, or (more likely) he was banging the "perpetrator" and the fake girlfriend cover story accidentally spun out of control.
I'm watching this on ESPN now, and we are all getting trolled hard. I can't wait for this guy to join the NFL, so I can buy his jersey. He even got Notre Dame to help him troll us.

This guy isn't even a pro yet, and he's trolled the entire country. I look forward to following his career. This might be the one to restore balance to the Force.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hopefully he goes to the Eagles and makes your life a living hell for years to come.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Hopefully he goes to the Eagles and makes your life a living hell for years to come.
Me wearing an Eagles' jersey
frown.png

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>

isn't it completely obvious at this point that they're having his cousin take the fall for all this so he can (try) to get out of this without completely fucking his draft status?

problem is, the sports reporters have all been made to look like complete jackasses already and are now going to be scrutinizing every detail so there's no chance of him getting out of this without being to present a completely airtight case.

mimirswell_sl

shitlord
problem is, the sports reporters have all been made to look like complete jackasses already and are now going to be scrutinizing every detail so there's no chance of him getting out of this without being to present a completely airtight case.
To actually point out all these inconsistencies as obvious would directly implicate them as lazy and incompetent in their exultation of his struggles throughout the season. Ergo, sports reporters have perverse incentives (ego, credibility) to make it look like an expertly administered hoax on Te'o (and by extension themselves). Hence why if you search for 'ronaiah tuiasosopo mastermind' on google news you get 1500 articles over the last 3 days. Only a few actual news syndicates are running any other story than Te'o was completely duped and present the timelines given by Te'o and Notre Dame as correct (and ignore inconsistencies like his father saying they met in Hawaii or him telling a reporter they met at a game). I would expect this to be swept under unless Te'o makes a major blunder or an organization like Deadspin puts together an impossible to contradict timeline with the myriad of instances where he said the two of them met.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
We have now talked more about Te'o and his fake dead gf than baseball. Haha baseball.

mimirswell_sl

shitlord
From Deadspin:
Te'o also told Schaap?per the story available on ESPN.com?that a woman claiming to be Kekua turned up at the Notre Dame hotel before the BCS national championship game in Miami. Writes ESPN, "Te'o said he knew they were at the hotel because the group took photos in the hotel lobby." We know this woman could not have been the woman Te'o saw in pictures that were purportedly of Lennay: That woman did not attend the game and, moreover, knew nothing about her photos being connected to Kekua's online identity. So who was this woman?
Update (2:34 a.m.): ESPN has removed all references to the woman claiming to be Lennay showing up at the team hotel from its online story. There is no explanation, note, or correction in their story.
Lol @ ESPN.

From the ESPN interview:
MANTI TE'O: So they were saying -- they were telling me, 'Bro, she recognized your voice. We know she's there. We know she can hear you.' She would quicken her voice. And I heard it on the phone. They would do it to me. And so that was my communication while she was in a coma.

JEREMY SCHAAP: Why at that time did you not go see her?

MANTI TE'O: It never really crossed my mind. I don't know. I was in school. I was finishing up my year and I was going home.
Well, in the extremely unlikely case he was duped, he can at least console himself that he was a scumbag to a fake person dying instead of a real one.

Foggy

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
What PR guru advised him to go do an interview, off camera, surrounded by lawyers? How is it that every time a scandal breaks out people make the worst possible choices even after they surround themselves with people who are suppose to be professionals on damage control?

And fuck do I hate ESPN so much. Such a waste of a once great network.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
It's looking like Te'o was actually telling the truth. The guy can't be that bright. The person responsible for this has, apparently, done this to other football players, too.