NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Someone mentioned the MS system of hot liquid. I've seen home rigs running inside a 10 gallon aquarium filled with mineral oil (at least I'm pretty sure it was mineral oil).

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
The smaller the the diameter of the fan, the louder and more high pitched it is. So if the fan is tiny that is likely the source of your noise.

The whole reason server rooms sound like they do is because the servers generally have 8x 40mm fans intaking air, each.
I remember at one point I did a build with a CPU cooler that had like a 92mm fan as the CPU cooler. The pitch on that thing lead me make my next machine more quiet and not have any fans less than 120mm fans, and probably kept me from jumping on the renewed AMD bandwagon sooner because they had chipset fans. If you have ever spent any time in a Datacenter, the sound is like "The Long Rain".

Wombat

Trakanon Raider
Someone mentioned the MS system of hot liquid. I've seen home rigs running inside a 10 gallon aquarium filled with mineral oil (at least I'm pretty sure it was mineral oil).
Yeah, mineral oil isnt conductive, and one offs submerging their system in mineral oil have been around since the 90s.

That said, the cost / difficulty in scaling lithography further means you will probably see more of this sort of thing in the future. While I can't see Corsair aquarium kits on Amazon, I also never thought water cooling would become such a valid enthusiast option either.

Fadaar

That guy
I remember at one point I did a build with a CPU cooler that had like a 92mm fan as the CPU cooler. The pitch on that thing lead me make my next machine more quiet and not have any fans less than 120mm fans, and probably kept me from jumping on the renewed AMD bandwagon sooner because they had chipset fans. If you have ever spent any time in a Datacenter, the sound is like "The Long Rain".

Fans in aircraft equipment racks. Def less than 120mm and something stupid like 25k rpm. Good lord the sound drives me batshit after a while.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
EyZ02OKVgAA81Wt

• 10Worf
  • 7Like
Reactions: 16 users

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
The fan is more of a bass roar and sound is clearly on the side the gpu sits on, I doubt it’s the CPU. I can’t open this case to verify because the power is like weirdly coupled the the case, when I remove it you can’t turn the system in. I can hear the cpu fan in other games and it sounds totally different, very high pitch but not nearly as loud. It’s just cyberpunk that makes the gpu roar like that. Actually haven’t been playing it out of concern, may have to tweak settings some. I’ve owned something like 10 systems maybe more in my life and this is easily the loudest ting I’ve ever heard

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The fan is more of a bass roar and sound is clearly on the side the gpu sits on, I doubt it’s the CPU. I can’t open this case to verify because the power is like weirdly coupled the the case, when I remove it you can’t turn the system in. I can hear the cpu fan in other games and it sounds totally different, very high pitch but not nearly as loud. It’s just cyberpunk that makes the gpu roar like that. Actually haven’t been playing it out of concern, may have to tweak settings some. I’ve owned something like 10 systems maybe more in my life and this is easily the loudest ting I’ve ever heard
Well, the GPU fan exhausts directly out the side of the case, rather than down into the case, correct?

Louis

Trakanon Raider
Rtx 3080 running cyberpunk in 4K ultra settings is actually surprisingly smooth. But holy shit does this tiny case get loud. I have to jack up the volume big time or it’s a pretty annoying distraction. Every other game I’ve played gets medium loud but not distracting. even black desert in the ‘photo ultra’ mode which isn’t even meant for gameplay in 4k, ran pretty well with medium noise. Not sure what about cyberpunk makes my system wanna take off but I’m pretty sure I’d cause a local power outage if played for more than an hour.
debating whether to sell my 1070 as it’s a half length version and I think clocked down but still pretty decent for most games just not in 4k
I had a similar issue with Cyberpunk and my 2080. I was pretty much pushing the card to the limit and it turned my pc into an aircraft engine. Ended up having to use afterburner to force it to throttle down earlier to prevent it from getting to those levels.

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
i don’t know how to check if it’s exhausting down into the case but there’s definitely a lot of air coming out one side and the top. Yea it got a lot better when I toned down ultra and turned dlss on so it may just be a cyberpunk thing

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I feel like some of you might want to go into driver software and set a frame limit cap on games like cyberpunk and see if it makes a difference, that's assuming the game doesn't have a setting for it you could enable

Lenas

Trump's Staff
Yeah I cap all my shit at 117 fps (I read an article about capping 3 frames below your display limit, don't ask me to find it again) and it makes a big difference when I don't just let games push as many as possible.

Lenas

Trump's Staff
As for the “perfect” number, going by the results, and taking into consideration variances in accuracy from FPS limiter to FPS limiter, along with differences in performance from system to system, a -3 FPS limit is the safest bet, and is my new recommendation.

That was probably it, thanks.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Get the fuck out of here bro. Go enjoy your grill and stop assuming shit you dont know jack and shit about.