NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
You're entitled to your opinion and all, but I put the people chasing ultra-high fps into the same category that I put the autistics that are buying $2000 DACs because they think it makes their MP3s sound better. There's some very marginal benefit to FPS for precision shooters and such up through about 120fps but beyond that you're paying for snake oil and the "gains" you're seeing are total placebo effect.
It's not opinion. It's fact that the human eye can detect differences as high and higher.

I can tell when my 144hz monitor drops below max, even within a small range, as my eyes pick up on the different frame timing.

We could argue all day about whet actual value certain framerates provide to an individual, but outright stating that it has no discernable difference and is a placebo is complete and utter horseshit being thrown out to reinforce your personal opinion.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I cannot tell the difference between 120hz and 144hz or 165hz, and almost always set my monitors to 120hz with 117fps cap and am perfectly fine with it.

This is exactly what I have for settings. But when it dips to 90FPS I always find myself looking up in the corner to check my frames.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Unless you're a 19 year old ultra-competitive/pro gamer, you aren't getting anything out of FPS past 90-100ish. It's very unlikely your eyes would even be able to pick up the difference.

Within like 4 posts you dumbasses let him move the goalposts from 90-100 fps to beyond 120 fps.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
It's not opinion. It's fact that the human eye can detect differences as high and higher.

I can tell when my 144hz monitor drops below max, even within a small range, as my eyes pick up on the different frame timing.

We could argue all day about whet actual value certain framerates provide to an individual, but outright stating that it has no discernable difference and is a placebo is complete and utter horseshit being thrown out to reinforce your personal opinion.
We got Hawkeye over here

1598833731550.png

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
Within like 4 posts you dumbasses let him move the goalposts from 90-100 fps to beyond 120 fps.
For the average middle-aged fuck playing computer games, which I assume most of this board is, 90/100 fps is going to be the upper limit of any benefit to you. You may not realize this, but your eyes are less perceptive as you age. That's what I caveated that younger, more competitive gamers can get some benefit from frames up to about 120, though that benefit is coming mainly from the marginal benefit in precision you get from the additional frames.

ZyyzYzzy

RIP USA
<Banned>
Remember folks: 30 fps is just more cinematic
And the human eye can't discern anything above 30fps.

I stare at a shitty goverment laptop enough of the time where I can definitely tell the difference when my fram rates drop

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Unless you're a 19 year old ultra-competitive/pro gamer, you aren't getting anything out of FPS past 90-100ish. It's very unlikely your eyes would even be able to pick up the difference.

Wrong.

You're entitled to your opinion and all, but I put the people chasing ultra-high fps into the same category that I put the autistics that are buying $2000 DACs because they think it makes their MP3s sound better. There's some very marginal benefit to FPS for precision shooters and such up through about 120fps but beyond that you're paying for snake oil and the "gains" you're seeing are total placebo effect.

Goal post moved.

For the average middle-aged fuck playing computer games, which I assume most of this board is, 90/100 fps is going to be the upper limit of any benefit to you. You may not realize this, but your eyes are less perceptive as you age. That's what I caveated that younger, more competitive gamers can get some benefit from frames up to about 120, though that benefit is coming mainly from the marginal benefit in precision you get from the additional frames.

What's a goal post?

• 1Worf

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
And the human eye can't discern anything above 30fps.

I stare at a shitty goverment laptop enough of the time where I can definitely tell the difference when my fram rates drop
I requested one of the Latitudes with a Radeon so I could run my desktop at 120 fps at home, because dragging putty windows around at 60hz is for peasants.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I have a 1440p 144/gsync monitor, and there is a huge difference from a 60 one. It is a night and day difference.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I have the PG35VQ and the LG850 something which is 144hz - i honestly cant tell the difference between my 200hz or 160hz. "Personally" after 100 or so its all the same to me.

Fucker

Log Wizard
I have a 1440p 144/gsync monitor, and there is a huge difference from a 60 one. It is a night and day difference.

Ha! I provide proof to the contrary. This gif has lag at any refresh rate!

gfd.gif

• 1Galaxy Brain