NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I always prioritize gpu / system memory because I regularly find myself wanting to play some modded game with ridiculous and unoptimized texture sizes. These get ridiculous pretty fast, but once you walk through the photorealistic and highly detailed textures it's worth it and other games that are optimized for common hardware start to look soupy.
Tamrielic Textures 1 - Landscapes
101495-1582685108-645624720.jpeg

• 4Like
  • 2Mother of God
Reactions: 5 users

bytes

Molten Core Raider
This fps debate has me anxious, I was going for a 1440p 60hz IPS screen because I want good colours for once. The 144hz ones are even more expensive and you need more hardware to even run 1440p 144fps.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Hey my desktops are all disco certified!

Tomorrow at noon - prepare to spread those cheeks.

Attached benchmark can be fake - will find out tomorrow.

maybefake.png

Last edited:

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This fps debate has me anxious, I was going for a 1440p 60hz IPS screen because I want good colours for once. The 144hz ones are even more expensive and you need more hardware to even run 1440p 144fps.
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

Yes. The trade offs are a real pain in the A. Color calibrated IPS panels only came in 60hz flavor when I built my system a few years back. And I wanted to use Nvidia Surround at 7680x1440 resolution. Even at 60hz that resolution really taxed the cpu/gpu combos available then but I managed. I'm so hooked on 7680x1440 now that I rarely play games that don't support it. Thankfully most do. The visuals are glorious. But at 60hz I definitely feel the eye strain.

Even the new hardware is taxed by that resolution / hz with max settings. Older games not so much but the new games really crank up the fans / heat. Add RTX to the mix and the fps drops to unplayable.

My dream system would have 3 2650x1440 120hz (or 144) IPS color calibrated monitors running all the new games at 120 fps minimum on max settings. While in Nvidia Surround (or the AMD equivalent - Crossfire I think). But even these new cards and the latest cpus can't handle that.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Yes. The trade offs are a real pain in the A. Color calibrated IPS panels only came in 60hz flavor when I built my system a few years back. And I wanted to use Nvidia Surround at 7680x1440 resolution. Even at 60hz that resolution really taxed the cpu/gpu combos available then but I managed. I'm so hooked on 7680x1440 now that I rarely play games that don't support it. Thankfully most do. The visuals are glorious. But at 60hz I definitely feel the eye strain.

Even the new hardware is taxed by that resolution / hz with max settings. Older games not so much but the new games really crank up the fans / heat. Add RTX to the mix and the fps drops to unplayable.

My dream system would have 3 2650x1440 120hz (or 144) IPS color calibrated monitors running all the new games at 120 fps minimum on max settings. While in Nvidia Surround (or the AMD equivalent - Crossfire I think). But even these new cards and the latest cpus can't handle that.

Depends on the game really. I know for sure i had no issues in Apex, but yeah not all games could do it.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
This legit? Wow. Here's hoping.
Im assuming this specifically refers to race tracing performance and not general performance. Based on increase in power draw Im guessing actual performance increase is 30-40% for 3090 compared to 2080ti.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Why 120Hz with a 117 cap?

(1) Prevent a situation where the game is waiting for the monitor. Instead, the monitor waits for the game. Game-based framerate capping is more effective in some modes, such as GSYNC, and some games' triple buffering implementations. However, VSYNC OFF won't create this issue (however, there's other reasons there are still benefits; read blow).

(2) Sometimes you want to be about 2fps or 3fps away, rather than a close match or 1fps away.
(VSYNC OFF is never perfectly matched, otherwise it's called VSYNC ON -- synchronizsed to vertical blanking interval.)
During VSYNC OFF, if your refreshrate is too close to the framerate, you can have more noticeable tearing (rolling tearing effect) and amplified stutters from the harmonic between framerate and refreshrate.

(3) Some game engines bog down if you let them render uncapped. Input lag increases in this situation. (Example: The rendering thread starves the input-read thread). A frame cap fixes this.

(4) Motion clarity looks best at framerates matching refresh rate. But sometimes you don't want a near-exact match during VSYNC OFF. So a compromise is a reasonable close match. Even 118fps@120Hz (smoother motion) can look better than 77fps@120Hz (coarser motion)

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Im assuming this specifically refers to race tracing performance and not general performance. Based on increase in power draw Im guessing actual performance increase is 30-40% for 3090 compared to 2080ti.

It is. That's nuts when you think how big of a hit RTing took on most games.

Aazrael

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I see some of you mention 850W for the theoretical 3080. Why would you need that much Wattage? If it is 70 to 100W more than a say 2080 super why the need to get a big ass PSU?

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I see some of you mention 850W for the theoretical 3080. Why would you need that much Wattage? If it is 70 to 100W more than a say 2080 super why the need to get a big ass PSU?

Just depends on total system wattage usage, cpu can use upwards of 300w depending on model - couple that with a gpu using 300+ and whatever else - 750w no longer the sweet spot you want to have as a PSU