NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Just imagine if all that computing power over the last 10 or so years of crypto was being used for scientific reasons.

That's a pretty silly take.

Thanks to crypto you didn't say, "Imagine if there were a way to coop the computing power of people all over the globe to run complex algorithms." lol

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Uhh there was, people have been looking at and using distributed computer systems for a long fucking time now. One was mentioned, SETI.

As an undergraduate project Pi has now been calculated to a Quadrillion (1 with 18 zeroes) bits during a 2 year project. During those 2 years the combined efforts of two thousand computers worldwide, clocked up an astonishing 600 years of processing time. That’s the equivalent of a single P90 desktop PC working constantly on that single problem for 600 years.

ITs definitely not a silly take. Youre getting what? A few bucks a week mining your shit running 24/7? Imagine if that was used for something that actually had meaning other than your few dollars. Like actual data that mattered.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
What a stupid take, just imagine x I don't like and what could of happened if it didn't exist. The crypto market went from nothing to a trillion plus dollars in a decade but let's just ignore that because I don't like it uses power.

When you look around at all the resources running social media sites and what that got us I'll take crypto every time.

inclined to agree there, at least crypto had monetary benefits, social media is just a turd of delusions.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Uhh there was, people have been looking at and using distributed computer systems for a long fucking time now. One was mentioned, SETI.

As an undergraduate project Pi has now been calculated to a Quadrillion (1 with 18 zeroes) bits during a 2 year project. During those 2 years the combined efforts of two thousand computers worldwide, clocked up an astonishing 600 years of processing time. That’s the equivalent of a single P90 desktop PC working constantly on that single problem for 600 years.

ITs definitely not a silly take. Youre getting what? A few bucks a week mining your shit running 24/7? Imagine if that was used for something that actually had meaning other than your few dollars. Like actual data that mattered.
Well, you could do both. In a proof of work system, you could build a cryptocurrency where the work was actually work of value rather than being mostly just waste work.

Cryptocurrencies won't be mature until you have one where there is no waste work, the work is just the work it takes to maintain the network and validate transactions and any additional work is some actual production workload.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
What im saying is this data you are crunching has no scientific or tecnical value.
Well, you could do both. In a proof of work system, you could build a cryptocurrency where the work was actually work of value rather than just waste work.
There you go, finally someone that gets it, lol. Thanks Mist!

• 1Like

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>

There are companies building that solution on the Etherium blockchain today. And it won't be 2,000 computers. It will be 2,000,000+ computers.

That's my point. Not that cooping computers has never happened before crypto. But, that cooping consumers computers in a decentralized network has never happened until crypto. The implications are exponentially greater.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
There are companies building that solution on the Etherium blockchain today. And it won't be 2,000 computers. It will be 2,000,000+ computers.

That's my point. Not that cooping computers has never happened before crypto. But, that cooping consumers computers in a decentralized network has never happened until crypto. The implications are exponentially greater.

SETI@home

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Again, seti bro, back in the pentium 3 days. They had 2 million plus computers running on a decentralized network mapping the sky piece by piece LOOOONG before crypto came around.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
SETI@home

The difference, I think is that consumers don't give a shit about about Berkley computing; hence only 2,000 people joined. Unlike DeFi that has hundreds of millions of participants.

I think you're all misunderstanding my argument here. While I was unaware of SETI until this thread, I'm not saying cooping doesn't exist. I'm saying institutional/university cooping will never draw large amounts of participation. Paying people a few bucks a week to coop their PC (per crypto) will draw large amounts of participation.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Again, seti bro, back in the pentium 3 days. They had 2 million plus computers running on a decentralized network mapping the sky piece by piece LOOOONG before crypto came around.

I google'd this a couldn't find a source.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
This was article written in like 2000

For the last 5 or 6 years Berkeley’s Space Sciences Laboratory has been running the SETI@home project. SETI stands for the Search for Extra Terrestrial Intelligence and the project is dedicated to searching for patterns that may be signs of intelligent life amongst the mostly random mass of radio signals that reach the Earth from space. Each member of the project offers some of their computer’s time to the cause. Membership is open to everyone with access to a computer and the internet. There are currently 2,822,404 members and they have clocked up 582,977 years of processing time.

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>

Okay that list makes my point. Most of those have tens or hundreds of active processing units. And SETI@home has 145,000 active processing units. Apparently the only project that has over a million active units is Rosetta@home.

While my original response to your crypto snark was not precise and didn't fully reflect my point, I'm not saying that these projects don't exist. I'm saying that they're not supported by consumers at large, which again, is an opinion that this list supports.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Ok so you have this crypto mining now that is basically a waste of computing power, now do you understand my point I was trying to make?

BAck to my OG point....Just imagine if all that computing power over the last 10 or so years of crypto was being used for scientific reasons.

• 1Imbecile

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
If SETI@home was inflating my gpu prices, then I'd say fuck little green men too.

If social media was inflating my gpu prices, then I'd say fuck Mark Zuckerberg and Tom Anderson again.

If Folding@home was inflating my gpu prices, then I'd say those proteins can go fold themselves.

The discussion of whether a phenomenon is providing value is relatively isolated from whether it should be heavily influencing gpu prices.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Okay that list makes my point. Most of those have tens or hundreds of active processing units. And SETI@home has 145,000 active processing units. Apparently the only project that has over a million active units is Rosetta@home.
Many of them were much bigger before crypto.

Tripamang

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
What you really need to worry about is that we are quickly approaching a time where lots of money can be made by simply running computations. We're talking medication modelling, material science, simulations, AI etc. The previous results improve the next round and it just keeps going. The longer you run the computations and the more processing power you have the more you're going to make. Us petty consumers will be a rounding error to the kind of demand that's going to generate. It will be an insatiable market where selling to end users would always be at a loss.

At some point everything will vertically integrate and the chips will never leave the company that made them.