NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I never had an issue as 3440x1440p - its pretty glorious tbh, the 38inch UW are even better.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
I'm absolutely in love with Ultra-wide screens, and not sure what's going on with everyone and playing games that do not support the resolution? I have the AOC 34", and it's just 1440p resolution? Even Everquest supports the resolution and the screen space I have for different chat windows, UI elements, is amazing!

The next jump would be to a CX, but that probably won't be for a while.
A lot of games will fake full ultrawide support by reducing the vertical height of the image.
See the images I posted here of terraria

You can see that the horizontal cut off is the same but there's way less image being shown vertically. It looks GREAT until you realize in the end you're being screwed with less actual image.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Just be careful buying an ultrawide, the cheaper ones all using those VA panels and they absolutely suck dick. Terrible motion blur and ghosting problems on any kind of dark background.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I never had an issue as 3440x1440p - its pretty glorious tbh, the 38inch UW are even better.

3440x1440 is fantastic! The 5120x1440 is the albatross. I tested the LG 38GL whatever...and it was perfect. Except that price. Plus I had in my head I wanted the G9 no matter what!

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
I want my next monitor move to have 5120x2160, > 60Hz in the 38/9" range. Slim to none at the moment and nothing worth a purchase yet

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
3440x1440 is fantastic! The 5120x1440 is the albatross. I tested the LG 38GL whatever...and it was perfect. Except that price. Plus I had in my head I wanted the G9 no matter what!

I had this before i went the route of the CX48 - i actually had the G9 for a few days also but didnt like it.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
A lot of games will fake full ultrawide support by reducing the vertical height of the image.
So much this.

"OMG MY ULTRAWIDE LOOKS AMAZING!!!" - People not realizing that their image is being distorted to shit because games don't properly support those aspect ratios.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
This looks great for people who want a cheap ultrawide that performs exceptionally well. It's also not curved which can be a plus for some people:

If you want a cheap ultrawide that's curved:

Up the chain there's:

And

With progressively more bells and whistles all the way up to the 38 incher that Bramha linked.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I want my next monitor move to have 5120x2160, > 60Hz in the 38/9" range. Slim to none at the moment and nothing worth a purchase yet
5120x2160 at 120 hz would be an insane amount of display bandwidth. That would be 30% harder than driving an 8K display at 60 hz.

Don't expect this any time soon.

• 1Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
Indeed, lg has one in the works that does 72 hz which might be good enough. I wouldn’t be gaming on it and if it’s good for having a 27” Mac on the left and 27” pc on the right(along with full screen ability for both) with built in kvm I’d be in work heaven

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
Are you sure you wouldn't like 50 inches for 3x more? I've heard you're a man of discerning taste.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
LG was supposed to put out a 43 inch OLED C1, wonder what happened to that?

• 1Like

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
If you qualify for one of their discounts, (educational, military, first responder, etc) you can get the New G9 for $1650.

1637690332752.png

• 2Like
  • 1Weird Boner
Reactions: 2 users

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
A bit off topic, but we are discussing monitors and this has kind of become the computer hardware thread.

I already own an ultrawide, not a recent one, but certainly not worth replacing. I was thinking of getting a vertical monitor though. For coding, chatting, and browsing, it seems those fit a long scrolling form better. Am I mistaken that would be useful? And is it as simple as just taking a regular widescreen and rotating it(if the stand allows it), or are their special models made for this?

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
I'm sure someone will sell you a vertical monitor for a premium mark up, but ya just rotate.

I personally never found it more useful than just having extra real estate when I ran 3 monitors.

• 1Like

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
A bit off topic, but we are discussing monitors and this has kind of become the computer hardware thread.

I already own an ultrawide, not a recent one, but certainly not worth replacing. I was thinking of getting a vertical monitor though. For coding, chatting, and browsing, it seems those fit a long scrolling form better. Am I mistaken that would be useful? And is it as simple as just taking a regular widescreen and rotating it(if the stand allows it), or are their special models made for this?
If you have a screen that is nearly exclusively for forums, Discord, etc then a vertical monitor is amazing. If you play any type of video on it, then it gets a little weird, but not totally unusable. if you are thinking of getting a 2nd monitor anyway, maybe just get one that can rotate, and you can try it out, and if you don't like it can just put it back horizontal?

Deathwing

<Bronze Donator>
If you have a screen that is nearly exclusively for forums, Discord, etc then a vertical monitor is amazing. If you play any type of video on it, then it gets a little weird, but not totally unusable. if you are thinking of getting a 2nd monitor anyway, maybe just get one that can rotate, and you can try it out, and if you don't like it can just put it back horizontal?
That would be the safe way to try it. Just wasn't sure there was something special to them beyond just rotating a display 90 degrees.