NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Peak load is every bit as important as average load.
Yeah, who the fuck cares about "average". Peak is what you need to prepare for and 450w peak GPUs are fucking insanity. Even more reason to use AMD if that trend continues.

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 1 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
You're both missing the point, as usual.

You're never maxing out both the GPU and the CPU at the same time.

So yes, in a GPU bound game, a 450W GPU is going to run 420W-450W most of the time. But the total system load isn't going to scale absurdly. You're not going to need >1000W PSUs and a dedicated breaker for your PC isn't a necessity, but it's still a worth looking into putting in a dedicated circuit with an isolated ground if you're really into this shit.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Why are you putting in a dedicated circuit? Even if you were running 1000w you’ll be fine on a 15 amp circuit. You running like two vacuum cleaners on the same circuit as your pc or something?

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Why are you putting in a dedicated circuit? Even if you were running 1000w you’ll be fine on a 15 amp circuit. You running like two vacuum cleaners on the same circuit as your pc or something?

two cat washing machines and 13 auto cat feeders.

• 5Worf
Reactions: 4 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I know my house which was built in early 70s is all fucked with circuits. I have like plugs in the living room on same circuit as my fucking microwave in kitchen. They didnt have the same codes as they do these days. And I think the older your shit is the more fucked up it is. So yeah I would not mind a dedicated circuit for my PC shit considering the shitty wiring in my hizzy. And Also not only do I have my PC there but my workstation from work. So its like 2 space heaters plugged into one outlet.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
SO I have a question for you build gurus. Say if I wanted to switch out my mo-bo and proc to the new intel 12th gen shit, could I just plug and play my old M2 drive with all my shit on it plus win 10 then upgrade that to 11? Or do I need a complete new install because of drivers and shit?

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
SO I have a question for you build gurus. Say if I wanted to switch out my mo-bo and proc to the new intel 12th gen shit, could I just plug and play my old M2 drive with all my shit on it plus win 10 then upgrade that to 11? Or do I need a complete new install because of drivers and shit?
I've had good luck with moving a hard drive or SSD to completely different hardware and install drivers for that hardware and be completely fine, especially with Windows 10 where a year or two ago I had to move a family member's work SSD to another computer that was much, much newer, like 7 or 8 CPU generations newer and it booted, installed new drivers and worked fine.

Yada yada it's always better to do a fresh install, personally I'm too OCD to build a new system and not do a fresh install, every little glitch real or imagined I'll also imagine it's because I didn't do a fresh install and it'll nag on my subconscious until I do a fresh install.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
You're both missing the point, as usual.

You're never maxing out both the GPU and the CPU at the same time.

So yes, in a GPU bound game, a 450W GPU is going to run 420W-450W most of the time. But the total system load isn't going to scale absurdly. You're not going to need >1000W PSUs and a dedicated breaker for your PC isn't a necessity, but it's still a worth looking into putting in a dedicated circuit with an isolated ground if you're really into this shit.
If you're going to redo wiring make sure you get the "CryptoMiner" upgrade package and wire the bottom and top outlet of each gang on different phases so you can run 3000W per outlet. Or install EU style outlets with both phases so you get 220V and can run EU power supplies and tea pots.

I'm seriously thinking my next house is going to have a 220V outlet in the kitchen so I can order a UK tea kettle and get my tea in half the time, apparently they make them if you have both phases available in the wall to draw from.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I've had good luck with moving a hard drive or SSD to completely different hardware and install drivers for that hardware and be completely fine, especially with Windows 10 where a year or two ago I had to move a family member's work SSD to another computer that was much, much newer, like 7 or 8 CPU generations newer and it booted, installed new drivers and worked fine.

Yada yada it's always better to do a fresh install, personally I'm too OCD to build a new system and not do a fresh install, every little glitch real or imagined I'll also imagine it's because I didn't do a fresh install and it'll nag on my subconscious until I do a fresh install.
No, new chipset will bork your windows and force you to do a windows reset.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
No, new chipset will bork your windows and force you to do a windows reset.
Not on modern installs of Windows.

It's not a great idea but it'll actually boot up and work just fine 99% of the time.

• 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
Not on modern installs of Windows.

It's not a great idea but it'll actually boot up and work just fine 99% of the time.
I plugged in my Mom's W10 from her 3570 to an Ryzen 3700 and it worked. I redid the install anyway because she had like 9000000 junk on there.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X

I had knob and tube in my house (built in 1910). When I had all that shit electrical replaced I had them run separate circuits for appliances/crap and dun dun dun....My PC!

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Trapped in Randomonia>
Window AC mostly. Not just load but the spike from the AC compressor and other line noise.

Also a lot of the existing wiring in my house was kinda shit thanks to that flood in 2010. The new breaker and direct wiring has made my PCs a lot more stable under heavy load.

Isolated ground loop was to eliminate a sound mixing issue.

• 1Like

Kajiimagi

<Trapped in Randomonia>
Window AC mostly. Not just load but the spike from the AC compressor and other line noise.

Also a lot of the existing wiring in my house was kinda shit thanks to that flood in 2010. The new breaker and direct wiring has made my PCs a lot more stable under heavy load.

Isolated ground loop was to eliminate a sound mixing issue.
ran (3) new circuits when we moved into this house. 1 for AC , 1 for gaming rig, 1 for everything else. That's on top of what was already in the house. Also to the person that wanted a UK teakettle. Their voltage and hertz is different enough it probably won't work. One of my projects always uses a european model tanning bed and it's a bitch to get it working.

Kajiimagi

<Trapped in Randomonia>
OK but it's geeky. In the US, houses/apartments are 120/240V/60hz and some apartments are 120/208V/60hz. What that means is your house panel has 2 hot legs. The voltage between one of those legs is 120V and the voltage between them both is 240 or 208.

The tanning bed I mentioned uses 230V only with a big warning that anything under 219V and anything over 231 volts will void the warranty (and the fucking thing won't even come on). That's out of our US voltage ranges so we have to add equipment (called a buck/boost xfmr) to even get it running. Thankfully it will at least work with the 60hz because that's a whole other headache. Lots of Europe and I believe parts of Canada use 50hz. If this didn't put you fast asleep I hope it helped.