NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

Fucker

Log Wizard
I bought one of these mofos

It's on right now. My PC is louder. Wide ass open it might sound like your neighbor across the street is cutting grass in his back yard... maybe. A minisplit would actually be louder with the fan noise.
Ah, I meant one of these. Loud fucking things.

1561044529-41YEC5cQHKL-1273522897.jpg

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Ah, I meant one of these. Loud fucking things.

View attachment 418768
We picked up one of those a few years ago for our cabin. But I think its even bigger than 8K. Paid like a grand for it at costco. It cools the entire living room area plus kitchen quite nice. Does not quite make it to the bedrooms down the hall buit cant expect one of those to do a whole place.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I own both a portable AC unit and a mini split and go mini split all the way if you can, the noise difference is huge. Portable is loud enough to drown out the TV if you're sitting close to it, the mini split is quiet enough that I can leave it on while sleeping. It's pretty much what all of Europe uses to get AC into houses that weren't built with central AC ductwork.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I own both a portable AC unit and a mini split and go mini split all the way if you can, the noise difference is huge. Portable is loud enough to drown out the TV if you're sitting close to it, the mini split is quiet enough that I can leave it on while sleeping. It's pretty much what all of Europe uses to get AC into houses that weren't built with central AC ductwork.
Do you have to vent the Mini splits?

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Do you have to vent the Mini splits?

No, but you need a hole through the wall for the refrigerant lines and condensate drain to the outside unit. No outside air is drawn in. I DIY'ed mine, just needed to rent a 4" hole saw to cut a hole in the wall. Lines can be extended depending on what is needed for your house layout.

1656066764777.png

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I installed this type of AC in my house when I moved, but have 2 units, one in my PC room and one in large living room/kitchen that's in the center of the house. Honestly, the PC room unit isn't very useful and I could have saved money with just the one unit in the center of the house, it's a new house so it has good insulation so just having that unit run will cool the entire house down and I can just turn it on every now and then even when it's really hot outside. Does cost a bunch more than the mobile ones(although a good part of that was the installation costs) but it generates no noise and probably consume less energy too, don't regret the investment, it's both useful for gaming and sleeping during summer. Can also be used to heat during winter if you need to.

But yeah at some point I thought about drilling a hole in the wall and just running cables through the house to have my PC in another room. In fact I may still do that later on, to reduce noise. Need somewhat long cables for keyboard/mouse/screen/sound, but you can bundle them and hide them in some cover thing so doesn't look too bad, or I might run them through the attic instead(less ugly, but a lot more annoying to go run that shit and need even longer cables and any issue with the cable would be a big pain in the dick to fix). At the time I decided on checking water cooling out instead and it's a decent fix, but doing watercooling on GFX cards is also somewhat annoying and have to be redone every build which is also annoying, and it still generates noise, while a cable setup would be a one time thing.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The old man in me is wanting to ask how much some of you guys power bills are? Im guessing between both PC's in my house running about 4 hours a day on average, that they probably use ~$27 a month in electricity. Never mind that even with zone control, the central air in this house is hyper cooling the rest of the house to keep up with the heat displacement. Just something to gawk at, cause I dont see myself changing shit to lower my electric bill anytime soon.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The old man in me is wanting to ask how much some of you guys power bills are? Im guessing between both PC's in my house running about 4 hours a day on average, that they probably use ~$27 a month in electricity. Never mind that even with zone control, the central air in this house is hyper cooling the rest of the house to keep up with the heat displacement. Just something to gawk at, cause I dont see myself changing shit to lower my electric bill anytime soon.
Depends on the month obviously, during winter I'm at around 120-140euros per month, during summer around 60-70euros per month. Average is around 90-95euros a month. Everything's electric, tthat's why winter is high, since all the heating stuff is electric too. My energy provider website says I consume twice as much energy than the average, but also kinda doesn't really matter since my expenses are really low other than that anyway.

Edit: This includes both the electricity consumption and the service stuff which is about 15euros a month on its own.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X

My electric bill is around 250 a month. Couple gaming PC's and a retired mother living with me with nothing to do but keep EVERYTHING on in the house.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 3 users

Caliane

Electric bills are going to vary wildly on location, and what exactly is being run. got to specify.

Eversource is 11.484 c/kWH at my rate. then .036c/kwh transmission charge, .035 cust service charge, .01 sys improvement, .058 dist charge, .002 revenue adj, .013 deliv charge, .012 public benefit charge.
last month, 29$ in power charge, 43$ in service charges.

like, my hot water, furnace, and stove are propane, so those are not part of my electric bill right off the bat.
I do on occasion run AC, but only on the WORST days. just the humid ones really. I do have ceiling fans in my bedroom, and PC/Office. Ceiling fans burn WAY less power.
I also on occasion run box fans to push air through the house.
I have a porch on the north side of my house, which the office is on/under. the office windows/door are always shaded. (I had to put the office in this room, due to migraines from light glare)

on really hot days, the smart/cheap move is close south side windows, and curtains. block out southern sun. open north side windows, and west side in particular. East is ok in my location as well, due to trees, etc.
dehumidifier in the basement is the biggest power draw,$$. that shit raises my bill as least30$/month if I run it.

even with my 1070, and i5-6600k, my pc room is 5-10 degrees hotter then the rest year round.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
I installed this type of AC in my house when I moved, but have 2 units, one in my PC room and one in large living room/kitchen that's in the center of the house. Honestly, the PC room unit isn't very useful and I could have saved money with just the one unit in the center of the house, it's a new house so it has good insulation so just having that unit run will cool the entire house down and I can just turn it on every now and then even when it's really hot outside. Does cost a bunch more than the mobile ones(although a good part of that was the installation costs) but it generates no noise and probably consume less energy too, don't regret the investment, it's both useful for gaming and sleeping during summer. Can also be used to heat during winter if you need to.

But yeah at some point I thought about drilling a hole in the wall and just running cables through the house to have my PC in another room. In fact I may still do that later on, to reduce noise. Need somewhat long cables for keyboard/mouse/screen/sound, but you can bundle them and hide them in some cover thing so doesn't look too bad, or I might run them through the attic instead(less ugly, but a lot more annoying to go run that shit and need even longer cables and any issue with the cable would be a big pain in the dick to fix). At the time I decided on checking water cooling out instead and it's a decent fix, but doing watercooling on GFX cards is also somewhat annoying and have to be redone every build which is also annoying, and it still generates noise, while a cable setup would be a one time thing.
Check out some of the LTT stuff. Linus basically does this. He does it with I think optical display port or HDMI I believe? And then a Thunderbolt 4 hub to plug stuff into (keyboard, mouse, audio stuff, etc). So basically you only need to run 2 cables, and depending on distance you might want them to be optical cables. Then you need a hub at the end.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Check out some of the LTT stuff. Linus basically does this. He does it with I think optical display port or HDMI I believe? And then a Thunderbolt 4 hub to plug stuff into (keyboard, mouse, audio stuff, etc). So basically you only need to run 2 cables, and depending on distance you might want them to be optical cables. Then you need a hub at the end.
Yeah if I go for that I will look into it but my current setup is fine, we'll see next upgrade. There's some issues with how my house is setup to make it easy that's why I haven't really bothered yet and my current setup isn't too noisy.

Edit: Checked a video from Linus about thunderbolt 3 cables, looks nice enough, expensive though if the cable fries that's a lot of money down the drain, but still. Alternatively, it showed eGPUs and I didn't know that was a thing. Basically a mini case with just a GPU in it, that'd be enough to cut the noise since it's pretty much all GPU related, and that only requires a single cable regardless(likely would need a repeater or a special cable that amplifies the signal since it's further than 3m but still).

Last edited:

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
You folk with the 3000 series cards or 68xx cards. You planning on getting the 4xxx? I think I will, if I can get my hands on one.
But why? Double the power consumption and no real games to stretch it's legs on?

• 1Solidarity

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
YEah it would take a next gen game that was GOTY or some shit to make me upgrade. And even then it would be a hard sell. Unfortunately most of the games are being made for the current consoles. 2k 120 or 4k 60.

• 1Solidarity

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
YEah it would take a next gen game that was GOTY or some shit to make me upgrade. And even then it would be a hard sell. Unfortunately most of the games are being made for the current consoles. 2k 120 or 4k 60.
Dont forget how overwhelmingly diverse and shitty the average computer is. I'd probably design for Xbox of PS if I could, too. You can get a dev kit from MS for near nothing from what I understand.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Sony Dev kits are also pretty easy too get you're hands on, hell they even have cloud based dev kits were they host the hardware ..

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
But why? Double the power consumption and no real games to stretch it's legs on?
That's peak power consumption. They should technically consume much less power at the same framerate if you framerate limit.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Ill probably upgrade in the next 6 months or so. Still on a old i5 with a 1070. Haven't needed anything higher(and gpu prices were stupid). Doubt I will go for a 40x. Maybe by then I can just get a cheap 3080 or such. As I still only game at 1440p.