NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
i have a 1080ti too and am waiting for the 4090 to upgrade. The main advantage of going to a 30xx, any, for you at this point is it adds RTX which the 10xx does not support. Do I really give a shit about RTX? Well, I don't even game on my PC (now I do on steam deck) so no, I don't really care that much. I think the 30xx line also supports DLSS which IS a big change but I don't know enough about it, but basically games can render at far lower resolutions but "look" better.

There is no doubt RTX is "better", but it basically makes reflections, mirrors, water, etc look more real. Does that really matter to me? not really lol, but you definitely see the difference

DLSS:

I think theres a new variant of DLSS, FSR (maybe AMDs?) so not sure how that plays into things either.
You dont "need" tensor cores to do RTX or DLSS - you just need them if you dont want your performance to be complete ass. You can hop into Cyberpunk and turn RTX or DLSS on if you want to test this on your 1080ti. Even on my g/f's 2070 Super, having RTX on for that card guts the frame rate. Still playable, but whats the point if it takes her frame rate below the monitor limit? DLSS looks fantastic though and is only a barely noticeable difference in quality. Also, a 4090 isnt going to be an upgrade. Thats going to be an entirely new build lul.

Sludig

I'm currently using a 1080Ti, should I upgrade my pc with a 3060 or a 3070 or that will not change much ?
3080, at current rate of price drops maybe hold out another few months and see if you can snag a 3080ti/3090 etc for like $900. WIsh I'd waited upgrading my 1080ti in march but who knew, everyone was continued doom n gloom.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
I'm currently using a 1080Ti, should I upgrade my pc with a 3060 or a 3070 or that will not change much ?
What is your CPU and what resolution/framerate are you targeting?

At higher resolutions the amount of memory starts to matter more because of the texture size and so would affect your decision, especially if you are gaming at lower framerates.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah, always match your GPU to your screen you are using or are going to buy. But from all accounts a 3070 is about the same as a 1080ti. So if you want something with better frames go 3080. Or honestly just wait for the 4K series to come out and see if you can score one of those, or maybe 3080s will be cheaper by then if they want to offload them? Who knows.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Everything I've heard so far on the 40xx series just seems not impressive, massive power draw for what? I'll just stick too my 3080 at least till the real reviews come out.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Everything I've heard so far on the 40xx series just seems not impressive, massive power draw for what? I'll just stick too my 3080 at least till the real reviews come out.
With great power comes great responsibility. :D

Point still stands, if at this point you have a 1080 ti. Might be the time to upgrade to a 4XXXX series if any are available of course.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Thanks for your help y'all.

What is your CPU and what resolution/framerate are you targeting?

At higher resolutions the amount of memory starts to matter more because of the texture size and so would affect your decision, especially if you are gaming at lower framerates.
I have 2 setups : one with a 4k 60hz screen for RTS and such, and a 2k / 144hz for shooters; currently, I feel like no games are underperfoming, even the last Farcry is running smoothly.

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Thanks for your help y'all.

I have 2 setups : one with a 4k 60hz screen for RTS and such, and a 2k / 144hz for shooters; currently, I feel like no games are underperfoming, even the last Farcry is running smoothly.
If nothing is underperforming, why upgrade?

I know I have fallen into that trap in the past. These days, before I upgrade I take a good look at what upgrading actually gets me in real performance. That is why I'm currently running a 3600/3060ti setup without any real need to upgrade.

Tholan

Blackwing Lair Raider
If nothing is underperforming, why upgrade?

I know I have fallen into that trap in the past. These days, before I upgrade I take a good look at what upgrading actually gets me in real performance. That is why I'm currently running a 3600/3060ti setup without any real need to upgrade.
Mostly because I have to lower the settings a bit here and there. Nothing extreme, but if there is a good opportunity why not.

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
for same price basically ($840) you could get this 12GB 3080 FTW3 evga
www.amazon.com/dp/B09Q3DH7V3

no clue which is "better", for me since I prefer gSync over freeSync nvidia all the way.

A 6900XT wrecks a 3080 and 3080TI in most cases - Id still argue a 6900XT is best value in general. FSR2.0 eliminated most of the gap on DLSS and has a faster adoption rate currently. At same price or close youd get better raw performance from the 6900XT than any 3080 variant.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Seems like a crash might be coming from Nvidia.... sounds like they over booked at TSMC and will be paying the price for it, sense they can't find replacement customers for them... ROFL

They loose, we WIN.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
They will just delay it to make sure AIBs get more sales in. If they were to release within 2 months they cant do absurd pricing like im sure theyd love to.

Daidraco

Seems like a crash might be coming from Nvidia.... sounds like they over booked at TSMC and will be paying the price for it, sense they can't find replacement customers for them... ROFL

They loose, we WIN.

Im torn on it and just from my pee sized brain: If the 30x0 and 40x0 are just flooded on the market - then they'll just stretch out the release date for the next generation. AMD sounds like its in a similar boat, but not as bad - so it doesnt sound like competition is going to force them to push forward with the following series as fast. I honestly just want the 50x0 series to be just a hair bit more powerful (Sure if its way more powerful great), but instead show that they've learned how to cut down the power draw drastically so the average users computer isnt a fucking mini-heater.
On the pro-consumer side, though - Im thinking if players are saturated with 30x0 and 40x0 series cards for three(?) years instead of whats become a typical two, then we'll see the average steam user's card push the needle up a few notches. Then in turn to that, we'll see game developers push the envelop even more. But thats probably just a pipe dream wish.

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
Power Draw in general is gonna be a problem for everything, at least till EUV is more main stream, but still will run into power problems with other hardware. I think once EUV is available for chip manufacturing the power problems are gonna go away(But at the same time the market is gonna be flooded with over power drawing systems..)

I feel sorry for anyone who wants too be bleeding edge right now, DDR5 is kind of a waste.(Unless you're doing 3d Rendering/Video Editing/Number Crunching)

And as far as Nvidia holding stock for 40xx ehh I think a lower intro price for them will be likely, but as usual they'll just keep adding 10 too the model number and growing the MSRP by it.

Last edited:

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
This is an extremely relevant video. EDIT: The title is hyperbolic but the video is extremely interesting. You have to actually watch the whole thing.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users