NVidia GeForce RTX 30x0 cards

rhinohelix

Dental Dammer
<Gold Donor>
Problem with X570 is that it runs hot and has to be cooled. Also, when you are shopping for small form factor in µATX, why not go all the way to MiniATX? For example:

Details here:
I have a mini-ITX to go in a NZXT H1 waiting on a Zen3 to populate it. The only thing I don't like about the Mini-ITX is the lack of options. Want more M.2/NVME drives? Nope. Want to add another card of any variety? Nope. Multi-Fan coolers/Swap power supplies, etc? I mean the list goes on, and I have availed myself of the solution that you have mentioned but it seems odd that in the Intel space there are dozens of Micro-ATX boards and for AMD there are literally 2 by VERY budget brand manufacturers. Asrock has been around forever but Color is seemingly new. It doesn't help that we are in such a time of transition. When we fully get to PCIE 4, this probably won't be an issue. Hello 2020!

spronk

FPS noob
probably OOS by the time you read this but a couple of third party AIB 3080 cards for sale from bhphoto right now, $779 - 800

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I want an FE 3080 and copper 3090 - The guy i know at bestbuy said they havent gotten them yet but should this weekend - going to let me know how many of each kind they get.

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
If AMD's cards are going to be competitive with 30 series, they would have to be complete morons not to tease their performance before the 3080 release date right?

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Maybe, id assume so - the cpu side is legit but the gpu side is a toss up. I feel the Oct 8th event will actually have gpu's also right before the 3070 release just so pull a fast one.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
If AMD's cards are going to be competitive with 30 series, they would have to be complete morons not to tease their performance before the 3080 release date right?
Yes indeed, can think of no reasonable reason not to

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
they would have to be complete morons not to tease their performance before the 3080 release date right?
They had viral marketing strategies like that, which backfired with not being able to compete at the high end, so Lisa Su shut that down. The only thing she let slip is that RDNA will be like Zen, where the first generation is catching up in architecture to the competition, and the second is planned to improve after they have experience with it so that they can compete with a better process.

I am still unsure if that was hyping it up as well, but they have been consistently tightlipped about RDNA 2 performance, even with it powering the next gen PS5 and Xbox, and Sony and Microsoft promoting the virtues of it.

Half the battle will be driver performance and stability though, and this is where they still have to convince people to buy into their architecture.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Yes indeed, can think of no reasonable reason not to
Only thing that makes sense is if they know supply is going to be very limited. In that scenario doesnt matter as people will be waiting no matter what.

Last edited:

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
While Intel definitely dropped the ball on CPU's, allowing AMD to catch up and even surpass them, I don't see the same thing happening with GPU's. AMD just isn't nearly as big of a company as Nvidia. Their R&D is a fraction of what Nvidia's is. But, since I have stock in both companies, I wouldn't mind if AMD got close. Just this year alone, both companies stocks have soared (even if there was a little bit of a correction this week). Meanwhile, I've sold almost all of my shares of Intel.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
There are more rumours coming out about RDNA2 floating around. There's a video on youtube but the guys a dick and has bad teeth, so here's a summary.

*60% performance per watt uplift
*No HBM2
*Not using 512bit bus. Lower Bus width
*Infinity Cache on the GPU 128MB which helps make up for the lack of memory bandwidth of GDDR6
*Clock Frequency similar/around PS5
*80CU for top sku
*6700, 6800, 6900 skus
*6700 will compete 3070
*6800 will compete against the 3080
*6800XT will compete against the 3080 TI
*6900 will compete 3090 but will be faster than a 3080TI. Not sure if it will beat a 3090
*No word if they will undercut Nvidia pricing.
*Hybrid Ray Tracing (AMD Patent)
*Up-sampling handled via lower precision operations.
*Decompression: unknown at this time
*This will not be another Vega64

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Quineloe

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There are more rumours coming out about RDNA2 floating around. There's a video on youtube but the guys a dick and has bad teeth, so here's a summary.

*60% performance per watt uplift
*No HBM2
*Not using 512bit bus. Lower Bus width
*Infinity Cache on the GPU 128MB which helps make up for the lack of memory bandwidth of GDDR6
*Clock Frequency similar/around PS5
*80CU for top sku
*6700, 6800, 6900 skus
*6700 will compete 3070
*6800 will compete against the 3080
*6800XT will compete against the 3080 TI
*6900 will compete 3090 but will be faster than a 3080TI. Not sure if it will beat a 3090

*No word if they will undercut Nvidia pricing.
*Hybrid Ray Tracing (AMD Patent)
*Up-sampling handled via lower precision operations.
*Decompression: unknown at this time
*This will not be another Vega64
Half the lines I don't understand, the other half I just don't believe

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
While Intel definitely dropped the ball on CPU's
It's way worse: Intel dropped the ball on CPU architecture and the process. The can't even push out 10nm in quantitiy while TSMC is developing 5nm: Tiger Lake and Ice Lake are mostly mobile, with next gen server CPUs nowhere near in sight.

bytes

Molten Core Raider
I haven't followed the whole Intel drama too closely so I only know they had trouble with switching over to small diameters. But most benchmarks (especially gaming related) still show Intel at the top, except for very specific workloads most of us don't give a shit about.
So outside of price, why would anybody go for an AMD cpu right now? The i5 10600k seems to beat the shit out of most Ryzen pretty handily and overclocks better if you care about that.

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Half the lines I don't understand, the other half I just don't believe
The first may be related to the other.

The raytraying tech AMD went with is different from Nvidia: The APIs (DX12/Vulkan) use bounding volume hierarchy to check where a ray hits a triangle. Graphics cards are SIMD machines mostly, and not a good fit for BVH.

Nvidia went with dedicated units (RT cores). AMD put them into the texture mapping units with an ALU (now called "Texture Processor"). Each can do 4 ray operations per clock cycle.