NVidia GeForce RTX 40x0 cards - x2 the power consumption, x2 the performance

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Did any of you build any Zen 3 (or 2) systems, and how stable were they for you? My 5950X with an Asus dark hero board had a weird random reboot issue (WHEA error in event log) about once a month or so. Just out of the blue it would reboot, almost always during low load strangely enough so it wasn't a huge problem but still kind of annoying. Even running completely at stock it would do this. Only with the most recent BIOS has it been really stable for about 4 months now.
My 5950x with MEG ACE ran like a pro with no issues at all

As far as water cooling, yes it can be a pain to upgrade if you don’t plan your runs right and make draining it a chore but it’s only issue I had was I like to leave my PC on 24/7 so on my next build I’m going to use the Leakshield or Leakguard whatever it’s called so I can always keep it going.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Did any of you build any Zen 3 (or 2) systems, and how stable were they for you? My 5950X with an Asus dark hero board had a weird random reboot issue (WHEA error in event log) about once a month or so. Just out of the blue it would reboot, almost always during low load strangely enough so it wasn't a huge problem but still kind of annoying. Even running completely at stock it would do this. Only with the most recent BIOS has it been really stable for about 4 months now.

5800x here. Almost a year and no crashes/reboots. Stable as fuck.

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Elderan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I'm using soft tubing with a pair of quick disconnects that isolate the CPU/GPU blocks from the pump and radiators. Pulling the system out is really easy for me. The only thing I should have also done was put a 45 degree or something fitting on the GPU or CPU block so I could easily separate the two without have to unmount the CPU block to be able to spin the fitting on it or the GPU block (since angled fittings have a free spinning part for the threaded portion).

In my 28core 2x 2080ti build I did in 2019, I went kind of crazy with dual loops using 4x 560 rads in a monster case.

PfZ1iZs.jpg

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
I think somebody still makes distro blocks (not those plexi plates) that you can thread a bunch of QDs into to simplify stuff. But most consumer stuff isn't using SLI anymore since it's fundamentally dead at that level.

Elderan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I think somebody still makes distro blocks (not those plexi plates) that you can thread a bunch of QDs into to simplify stuff. But most consumer stuff isn't using SLI anymore since it's fundamentally dead at that level.

SLI really died with the 2080ti but its dead dead now.

• 1Like

Warrik

Potato del Grande
<Donor>
SLI is actually a pretty bad idea given the power and heat consumption vs. the actual gains to be had.

That said, I can't see a reason to upgrade from a 3080Ti. At this stage is purely about 4-5k.

• 1Solidarity

Aazrael

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I had some reboot issues after I built my 5900x with a 3080. It was due to a shitty sleeve cable I used for either the cpu or gpu. When I removed them it stopped crashing.

Elderan

Blackwing Lair Raider
Here is a 7980xe delidded I built in 2017 with 2x 1080tis. This one used hard tube, the thing was a nightmare to break apart when I needed to diagnose issues.

FsM4GcX.jpg

• 3Mother of God
  • 1Like
Reactions: 3 users

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
SLI really died with the 2080ti but its dead dead now.
I've upgraded the top fans to the 30mm Phanteks and moved the pump back to clean up that front piping. But if I need to service anything, two QD releases and the board can come out.

1664224461060.png

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
Went to MC to get the AMD stuff but decided to wait since I don’t see the MSI Godlike or Ace in store. Ended up picking up the PG48UQ, will use until one of those 45 inch OLEDs come out.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Went to MC to get the AMD stuff but decided to wait since I don’t see the MSI Godlike or Ace in store. Ended up picking up the PG48UQ, will use until one of those 45 inch OLEDs come out.
I am really thinking about going AM4/5800x3D until cheaper Mobos come out. Fuck all of these price gouging MFers. They are just as bad as Nvidia. There is a $1000 MOTHERBOARD. Everyone wants their own slice of pandemic shortage pricing. AMD wasn't too bad with the CPU pricing; the extra 50 bucks isn't the end of the world, and even the price of DD5 isn't terrible. But the whole thing about the 95 degree thermal envelope, MC not carrying any AIO coolers I like, ASRock being the only vaguely affordable MB (at 259-299 of all things) I really want to wait until Q1 but I have this 3080 sitting on a shelf I want to use. I need to build out a bigger PC and am not going to use this 9900k to do it.

It just pisses me off there is no right answer just various flavors of less bad.

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I am really thinking about going AM4/5800x3D until cheaper Mobos come out. Fuck all of these price gouging MFers. They are just as bad as Nvidia. There is a $1000 MOTHERBOARD. Everyone wants their own slice of pandemic shortage pricing. AMD wasn't too bad with the CPU pricing; the extra 50 bucks isn't the end of the world, and even the price of DD5 isn't terrible. But the whole thing about the 95 degree thermal envelope, MC not carrying any AIO coolers I like, ASRock being the only vaguely affordable MB (at 259-299 of all things) I really want to wait until Q1 but I have this 3080 sitting on a shelf I want to use. I need to build out a bigger PC and am not going to use this 9900k to do it.

It just pisses me off there is no right answer just various flavors of less bad.
Yeah mobos being $700 almost for decent ones is meh. The Ace was $698 and Hero $699.

Gaming perf is better but not enough to adopt the platform just yet. Seems this gen all you will really want is a 4090.

• 1Like

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
I'd rather have the 5800x3d vs the 7900x tbh. Cheaper, close enough gaming performance and can use existing parts. Don't really get the point of his Ryzen launch, may make more sense in a year or two.

Fully expect Intel to shit all over these #'s though.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>

bruh

1664307733812.png

• 4Worf
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Those videos just make me want to go buy a 5800X3D.
I keep thing of getting one , or a 5950x, but the 3950x I have isn't stressed at all. So it's a 'want' not a 'need'.

Fucking computers, I said it before : If you want to get into computers, take drugs instead, It's cheaper!

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
His bitching about the memory speeds on the 13900k vs 12900k shows he or his writers don't know what they're talking about.

4800 is the maximum SUPPORTED memory speed on the 12900K, while 5600 is the maximum supported memory speed on the new platform.

Yes, higher kits exist, with XMP ratings, but they are not technically supported by Intel. And the same on the AMD front. All the comparisons were across the maximum 'supported' speeds.

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
DF looks at DLSS 3.0

nvidia still has embargos on 40xx reviews so they can't show actual FPS rates just "DLSS 3 is 100% more frames than DLSS 2.0"