NVidia GeForce RTX 40x0 cards - x2 the power consumption, x2 the performance

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Q: "What's that burning hairdryer smell?"

A: "Oh, that's just Timmy getting ready to Fus Ro Dah some big titty anime babes."

• 4Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Those videos just make me want to go buy a 5800X3D.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 2 users

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
So quick question maybe I an dense:

Why do people continue to run benchmarks for a 10 year old game in 1080p on what is supposed to be a flagship next gen video product in 2022?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

Why do people continue to run benchmarks for a 10 year old game in 1080p on what is supposed to be a flagship next gen video product in 2022?
Because most modern games at high resolutions are entirely GPU bound, they will show flat between every product aside from possibly 0.1% lows.

Exception being simulation-heavy games like MS Flight Sim or that F1 racing game they like to put on the charts.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>

The last 5 minutes of that gamers nexus video talks about why. New games just aren’t CPU bound.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
I’m impressed with these CPUs honestly. Only thing I’m pondering is water cooling. The CPU made to be at 95c means it will heat up water quicker than traditionally seen no? I guess this gives me justification for making a 4 rad loop in the HAF 700 EVO.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
1664206755783.png

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Elderan

Blackwing Lair Raider
I’m impressed with these CPUs honestly. Only thing I’m pondering is water cooling. The CPU made to be at 95c means it will heat up water quicker than traditionally seen no? I guess this gives me justification for making a 4 rad loop in the HAF 700 EVO.

I have really tried to get away from water cooling lately. Its cool yes and it runs your stuff cooler or course but doing small things become a major issue when you need to break the loop everytime.

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Supposedly they did it to retain cooler compatibility. Shouldn't have bothered, if true.

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Did any of you build any Zen 3 (or 2) systems, and how stable were they for you? My 5950X with an Asus dark hero board had a weird random reboot issue (WHEA error in event log) about once a month or so. Just out of the blue it would reboot, almost always during low load strangely enough so it wasn't a huge problem but still kind of annoying. Even running completely at stock it would do this. Only with the most recent BIOS has it been really stable for about 4 months now.

slippery

<Bronze Donator>
Did any of you build any Zen 3 (or 2) systems, and how stable were they for you? My 5950X with an Asus dark hero board had a weird random reboot issue (WHEA error in event log) about once a month or so. Just out of the blue it would reboot, almost always during low load strangely enough so it wasn't a huge problem but still kind of annoying. Even running completely at stock it would do this. Only with the most recent BIOS has it been really stable for about 4 months now.
I have a 5800x and it's super stable

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
I have really tried to get away from water cooling lately. Its cool yes and it runs your stuff cooler or course but doing small things become a major issue when you need to break the loop everytime.
I'm using soft tubing with a pair of quick disconnects that isolate the CPU/GPU blocks from the pump and radiators. Pulling the system out is really easy for me. The only thing I should have also done was put a 45 degree or something fitting on the GPU or CPU block so I could easily separate the two without have to unmount the CPU block to be able to spin the fitting on it or the GPU block (since angled fittings have a free spinning part for the threaded portion).

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Both my 3800X and 5800X have probably been my most stable systems ever.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
My 5950 has been perfectly stable outside of the brief couple of days I used some cablemods cables for my GPU and they clearly didn't fit correctly and would cause power loss when bumping my desk that forced a system restart. Figured that out real quick.

I thankfully had no wake from sleep USB issues or any USB disconnecting issues. But my cheap HyperX mic does not like coming back with the system and has to be unplugged and plugged back in before it's recognized (the light is on, but the system doesn't get any sound from it).