NVidia GeForce RTX 40x0 cards - x2 the power consumption, x2 the performance

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
I used to love building my own PC, and like many others here jump started a career with that interest - but I legitimately did not enjoy building my last PC. It's a great computer, but I'm strongly seeing the allure of buying a pre-built.

Currently have a 3060ti, debating on that 16gb 4060ti. Thoughts, prayers, opinions?

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
I built my and others PCs for years (I hung around a PC electronics shop and built my first PC, a 486/100 in 1994) but as time has gone on, I have built less and less, and now with RA and not nearly enough time to fuck with things, I just take my parts and what I buy from MC and have them do it for 250. The last time the guy was a bit of an asshole, he didn't use my Arctic Cooler II 360 and when I picked out the wrong case fans there in the store (fans aren't pwm and are NOT quiet, despite assurances to the contrary, he didn't say anything. They paid for the different cooler and I have gotten used to the sound but always turn on the machine before leaving.

Will still have them build the next one. Would kinda like to build a 7800X3D but can't bring myself to spent a grand or more on a card I know I will want to replace in a year. As it turns out, the 2080TI was a good buy for that in 2019, and the 600 bucks for the 3080 12gb will have to make it until next gen unless prices come down or China invades Taiwan, I think.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If I had to do custom loop or something, I could see just wanting to pay someone to do it. I would still buy the parts though. I still dont trust pre-builts completely. Sure that one above is nice, but notice they only advertise the 4090 and i9(which i9?). But vague on the memory/storage models and no info on the PSU or MB at all. Not to mention all the software that can come preloaded on those things. Figure the GPU and CPU might be ~2200 of the 3,000cost in just 2 parts, not a whole lot of room for quality parts in the rest.

But just AIO or Air cooling, I think PC building has just gotten easier. Don't even use the drive bays anymore really(no disc drives or hard drives) and m2s are just plug in and done. I think the only part that could give anxiety is seating the CPU, attaching the CPU cooler and if you do the thermal paste right.

Probably what I will order soon: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PRQyv3

Nothing fancy, I cant stand RGB and air is fine for me. 6800xt since I cant see any current midrange in that price range being worth it. Can use that for 2-3 years and replace if needed down the road. And I bought a 980 pro a month or so ago when it was on sale. And on a tight budget, so tried to go a bit cheaper in spots without going with bad parts. Also may remove the windows 10 and just transfer my digital license to new PC.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
If I had to do custom loop or something, I could see just wanting to pay someone to do it. I would still buy the parts though. I still dont trust pre-builts completely. Sure that one above is nice, but notice they only advertise the 4090 and i9(which i9?). But vague on the memory/storage models and no info on the PSU or MB at all. Not to mention all the software that can come preloaded on those things. Figure the GPU and CPU might be ~2200 of the 3,000cost in just 2 parts, not a whole lot of room for quality parts in the rest.

But just AIO or Air cooling, I think PC building has just gotten easier. Don't even use the drive bays anymore really(no disc drives or hard drives) and m2s are just plug in and done. I think the only part that could give anxiety is seating the CPU, attaching the CPU cooler and if you do the thermal paste right.

Probably what I will order soon: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/PRQyv3

Nothing fancy, I cant stand RGB and air is fine for me. 6800xt since I cant see any current midrange in that price range being worth it. Can use that for 2-3 years and replace if needed down the road. And I bought a 980 pro a month or so ago when it was on sale. And on a tight budget, so tried to go a bit cheaper in spots without going with bad parts. Also may remove the windows 10 and just transfer my digital license to new PC.
That looks awesome but do not pay 115 dollars for a WIN10 Home OEM DVD. 15 dollar grey market Win 10 PRO key FTW. Just pick one that sponsers your favorite youtuber, There's 3 or 4 of them that are all good (https://www.cdkeyoffer.com/ is good) Get another 2TB NMVE for that money. And how long as the Noctua 15D been 120 Bucks? It used to be half-ish that. I would get an LS 520 or an Arctic II 360 for that price unless you are just super committed to air. Otherwise it looks good.

• 2Like

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That looks awesome but do not pay 115 dollars for a WIN10 Home OEM DVD. 15 dollar grey market Win 10 PRO key FTW. Just pick one that sponsers your favorite youtuber, There's 3 or 4 of them that are all good (https://www.cdkeyoffer.com/ is good) Get another 2TB NMVE for that money. And how long as the Noctua 15D been 120 Bucks? It used to be half-ish that. I would get an LS 520 or an Arctic II 360 for that price unless you are just super committed to air. Otherwise it looks good.

I will just transfer the license. No reason to buy a new copy.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
1685163547309.png

• 12Like
  • 2Mother of God
  • 1Weird Boner
Reactions: 14 users

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
I prefer Arctic or DeepCool to NZXT coolers but they look so good, and I can't get over the 1200ish price of the 4080. It's so dumb on my part. If it were 1000 I would own one right now but that 200 bucks just irks me for some reason enough that I won't buy one. Otherwise if that is a 7800X3d this is the my ideal recommendation for a system right now, as much I would like to recommend AMD cards. 6TB of storage, so choice.

I keep wanting to buy one, 6800XT, 6900XT, 6950XT, 7900XTX, yet somehow I keep ending up with stupid greedy Nvidia cards. They're a hard habit to break. I wish AMD would cut prices on 7800XTX or release a refresh. There is just nothing compelling at the moment for me personally.

Back to the pic, this looks great.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I just cant see myself buying a current gen atm. Maybe if I had the money for a 4090, cause imo, that is the one card giving the performance worth the price. But it would be a waste too, as I dont game in 4k and no monitor for it. Otherwise imo, the cards below it feel more like cards to sell software with minimal performance gains(I dont count or care about RT, DLSS,av encoding or fake frames) for a lot more money. AMD is almost doing the same, with the 7950xt being good, then below that is just more money for gain that isnt worth it. I will say at least the 40x0 series cards are a lot more power efficient.

Sad thing is I dont see nvidia changing unless their AI business suddenly drops, otherwise they just can focus there and let gaming sector keep dropping. And iirc AMD is trying to get into the AI market too.

• 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Its alive;

1685230797529.png

Ran into one wtf problem, on booting the computer will hang from anywhere from 30 seconds to 5+ minutes during POST, showing me a black screen with just an underscore symbol in the top right. Once it gets past that it works perfectly fine so far at least.

Also the 4080 is fucking huge. I thought the 3080ti was big but the 4080 is 25% bigger than it.

• 5Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 6 users

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I still like building my PCs but times have certainly changed. My first PC build was a Celeron 300a when I was in HS and when I picked out all the parts, I had no idea overclocking existed. My motherboard was some Intel 440bx with absolutely no overclocking options. Then after stumbling across HardOCP for the first time my eyes nearly popped out of my skull: Simply apply nail polish to 2 pins on the Celeron's slot card and it would tell the motherboard to run the bus at 100mhz instead of 66, giving me an instant 50% overclock for free. I couldn't believe it worked and it was perfectly stable, I had built a budget PC and I got something that was pretty much as fast as a Pentium II 450 or even faster in games because of the faster cache.

Those days are long gone, pretty much every CPU on the market these days has already been redlined so the only reason to keep building them I think is nostalgia and quality assurance.

• 1Like

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Ran into one wtf problem, on booting the computer will hang from anywhere from 30 seconds to 5+ minutes during POST, showing me a black screen with just an underscore symbol in the top right. Once it gets past that it works perfectly fine so far at least.

Also the 4080 is fucking huge. I thought the 3080ti was big but the 4080 is 25% bigger than it.
Is that only on a A/C disconnect cold boot, or every boot?

Jovec

?
So far every boot up.

Gonna update the BIOS and see if that takes care of it.

Reset to defaults (and/or turn off EXPO) BEFORE updating the BIOS, expecially if you manually set VSoC. Gigabyte has an issue where they retain the last set manual VSoC after a BIOS update even if you run it at default/auto. I would also check VSoC at least in software after the update to see what is getting reported. From my experience, use the latest beta HWiNFO. Do not use Ryzen Master since that only shows the VSoc "set" voltage (what you asked the mobo to provide) and not the "get" VSoC (what the mobo is actually providing).

• 1Solidarity

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
There was something when those AM5 boards were new, let me see if I can dredge it up from the depths.

One of many threads discussing the issue here, seems to be training with the first several boots. Seems like latest BIOS along with these settings had positive effects:

Fast Boot ENABLED

Memory Context Restore AUTO

Boot time: 12 seconds

I haven't noticed my boot times being long after the first few weeks but I spent a long time on my old machine before I switched over to this one full time.

• 2Like

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Memory Context Restore is something you may have, and will probably have to dig for in the BIOS to enable. Probably not turned on by default since it can introduce instability.

I tend to sleep my computer and only shut down by accident or when installing some hardware update, so it's not as big of a deal for me, but I notice the start up time is definitely longer while it checks the memory when set to EXPO.

• 1Like