NVidia GeForce RTX 40x0 cards - x2 the power consumption, x2 the performance

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Not paying $1000 and not paying for 8GB, it's 2023.
"Ok, ok. $950 for 12GB, that's the best I can do."

1684539779758.png

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Except Frame Gen is a real feature. I've been playing CP2077 with framegen and MAX settings and it looks and plays amazing.
Still waiting for fucking Phantom Liberty before installing it again. Annoyed that CDPR keeps being vague with the release date, but I sure af dont want them to rush anything anymore (lol).

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Except Frame Gen is a real feature. I've been playing CP2077 with framegen and MAX settings and it looks and plays amazing.
At the same time it's somewhat disingenuous to compare FPS with it on because obviously it's gonna be higher since it just generates additional frames, but it is a nice feature. It's also unclear if their 30xx test uses DLSS2 since Returnal supports that too, which also increases FPS. Not as much because it does it in a different way though.

Card still looks kinda shit, but I guess if you haven't upgraded in a while it'd be nice.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Guess Im getting a new computer. Selling my current one to my dad for $1600 and going to build a 7800x3d+4080 replacement.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Guess Im getting a new computer. Selling my current one to my dad for $1600 and going to build a 7800x3d+4080 replacement.
That didn't take very long after installing Bf2042 lol

Also, seriously, just get a 13600K. They don't catch fire.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Youll absolutely love the main reason; reducing heat output. Should use about 100 less watts of power with what im looking at.

4080 is fantastic for that, at least the FE anyway. When not using RTX is actually even lower than the specs, <220W all the time. With RTX I've still never seen it go above 270W. DLSS, even on Quality mode, brings wattage down another 30-40W.

But again, if you want low total system power, 13600K.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
I am seriously considering this; I just want a smaller footprint machine. My dream machine would be a 7800X3d and a 4080/7800XT/XTX in 2x NZXT H1 size case: Now I just have to find a way to make that happen and justify it to the wife after just having bought a Mac Mini.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
I missed my Hackentoshes and can barely be assed these days to build my own PCs much less something without out life left in them. Apple Silicon is great but killed any chance of some of the great things you could do with MacOS. Plus I need to from a troubleshooting perspective know more *nix commands, I was trying to remember some things the other day trying to walk some idiots on a call through some basic stuff and realized I had forgotten it myself. I had to bring on Linux/Unix admins for stuff I used to know myself, and this is the cheapest way into having hardware to do that. Fuck VMs and I am sick of Raspberry Pis as learning tools.

• 1Solidarity

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I am seriously considering this; I just want a smaller footprint machine. My dream machine would be a 7800X3d and a 4080/7800XT/XTX in 2x NZXT H1 size case: Now I just have to find a way to make that happen and justify it to the wife after just having bought a Mac Mini.

Well, don't get an H1 unless you plan on modding it, the air flow in that shit is atrocious.

I've got a Meshilicious but I've got my eye on this one. Protolyth

If you love SFFPCs check out this sub-reddit, some dope shit in there. r/sffpc

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>

I really like how the position the GPU vertically in the path of airflow. It's pretty retarded how most modern cases position the GPU just below the path of airflow, when it needs the most help.

• 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
There is how much the PC costs and then how much the GPU costs. Current gen processors are not discounted at all and if you're going for a Titanium PSU you might as well get some overhead and buy a wattage above what you need.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
It's absolutely absurd how much a mid-range PC goes for these days.
Its really only half bad as said.

The memory, ssd, and cooler are significantly cheaper compared to what i paid when my current computer started life as a 3800x system. I went with 16gb of memory then due to how much it cost.

So looking back at costs, the only stand out is the gpu.

$490 for a 5800x when it launched. Same price as what i just paid for a 7800x3d.

$149 for 2x8gb of ddr4 memory v $109 for 2x16gb of ddr5.

$239 for a mid range 1tb nvme v $169 for the best 2tb nvme today.

Mobo prices are the same.

GPU us the standout. Paid $700 for a 980ti at launch, but also paid $1350 for a 3080ti 4 months after launch v 1150 for the 4080.

Last edited:

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Well, don't get an H1 unless you plan on modding it, the air flow in that shit is atrocious.

If you love SFFPCs check out this sub-reddit, some dope shit in there. r/sffpc
I have one already; I run it with just the frame. I always seem to want something that's a compromise that no one yet makes, both in monitors and in cases.

There is how much the PC costs and then how much the GPU costs. Current gen processors are not discounted at all and if you're going for a Titanium PSU you might as well get some overhead and buy a wattage above what you need.
Everything is better except CPUs and GPUs. Even power supplies have returned to normal thanks to ending of the pandemic and tariffs. CPUs are a little expensive because Intel is competing behind the gun, only competitive from a performance perspective and not an efficiency/power perspective. GPUs are nucking futs and its manufacturers trying to get some of that sweet sweet mining/pandemic price premium when there is no price premium to be had.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Yep. And after a certain point, might as well get the best of everything because it doesn't add a whole ton to the final bill after a 4080 is ladled into the pot.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users