NVidia GeForce RTX 40x0 cards - x2 the power consumption, x2 the performance

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
So Bubbles idea of breaking the cards down into Graphicsboards + GPUs + RAM isn't so crazy? I could see it, buy an Asus graphics motherboard, Micron GDDRx RAM Dimms, AMD or Nvidia chip and a Culligan brand water loop that runs your whole loop through a coil that sits in your fancy water dispenser or heats your mega fish tank, so you don't have to buy a separate fish tank heater. Or it connects to your house plumbing and lets you provide hot water for the bath or kitchen. The possibilities are endless if we make things more modular. we could really save the earth here.

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
There is also heating your pool in the late summer while your kid sweats i t out on some new COD. My pool pump does 200 gallons per minute.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

velk

Trakanon Raider
So Bubbles idea of breaking the cards down into Graphicsboards + GPUs + RAM isn't so crazy? I could see it, buy an Asus graphics motherboard, Micron GDDRx RAM Dimms, AMD or Nvidia chip and a Culligan brand water loop that runs your whole loop through a coil that sits in your fancy water dispenser or heats your mega fish tank, so you don't have to buy a separate fish tank heater. Or it connects to your house plumbing and lets you provide hot water for the bath or kitchen. The possibilities are endless if we make things more modular. we could really save the earth here.

The main problem with that approach is the interconnect latency and bandwidth is waaaaaaaaay behind what's being used on graphics cards at the moment. It'd be like plugging your system RAM in via a USB port. Potentially fixable with a lot of work, but hampered by the problem that AMD and Nvidia hate each other's guts and would never agree on a universal standard even when it's in both their interests ( see gsync ).

In a better world, that could work though.

• 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Isn't the size 90% just heatsinks and fans anyway? Like the PCBs aren't much bigger, they just need to add a PS5 worth of copper and fans to actually make it run without raising the temperature enough to melt thermite. So splitting stuff isn't necessary, what's more likely to happen is them starting selling more AIO water cooled solutions like CPUs do because then they can make them a lot smaller. But obviously, that's a bunch more expensive. Then again if you're buying a 4090 I feel you wouldn't mind paying 150-200bucks more and have something that cools better and takes way less room.

• 1Like

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
GN with an NVIDIA engineer going through the cooler design for the 4090. Some interesting stuff.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Isn't the size 90% just heatsinks and fans anyway? Like the PCBs aren't much bigger, they just need to add a PS5 worth of copper and fans to actually make it run without raising the temperature enough to melt thermite. So splitting stuff isn't necessary, what's more likely to happen is them starting selling more AIO water cooled solutions like CPUs do because then they can make them a lot smaller. But obviously, that's a bunch more expensive. Then again if you're buying a 4090 I feel you wouldn't mind paying 150-200bucks more and have something that cools better and takes way less room.
The problem is that this gen for Nvidia is the last of the monolithic dies; its one big chip. Everyone is moving the chip/chiplets for their next gen cards but their power/heat requirements are ridiculous. Mist has it right that these cards aren't going to be for everyone, and AMD is a step ahead with moving to chiplets a gen sooner. NVIDIA just got caught once again milking the tech/pandemic pricing teat and thought that people were going to spend endless money on whatever they threw down. Remember, this is the cut/ramped down 450 watt version of the card; I think its overbuilt so much because they expected to have the card do 600w to compete with the 7900xt, which is hopefully going to be a more rational card in every respect.

I really wish I would have waited and bought a 6900XT rather than a 12GB 3080 for insurance against another card wipeout/stockout. Nvidia doesn't deserve the money. I am going to try to get the parts to build a 5800x3D tomorrow and wait on Zen4 until Q1 next year, as the 95c launch party has me ironically cold, plus I have all of these parts that will never be used if I don't put them in my next build.

Its the strangest time in PC parts I can remember. They obviously are pushing Moore's law to the brink here with these gargantuan cards. It feels like they are lazily delivering this product though, rather than finding a better way to do it.

EDIT: Obviously the Nvidia engineer and thousands of folks like him are working hard to deliver the best product they can. I mean strategically, rather than tactically, of course.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Xexx

Vyemm Raider
If you want the same performance as previous gens, you can get smaller and quieter. Heck, your cellphone is probably more powerful than a PC from 8 years ago.

Just because the 4090 exists, doesn't mean you have to buy it. They are making something very powerful available to you, if you're willing to pay the price and build around it.

For what it is, the 4090 is an interesting value proposition. It is very EXTREME.

Meanwhile the 4080 series cards are much less interesting from a value proposition standpoint. Extreme price but merely high-middle specs... though we'll see what the benchmarks look like.
Yes, you really must buy it!

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
3000 series era: buy what works for your screen

4000 series era: buy what you can fit in your tower

• 2Worf

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
GN with an NVIDIA engineer going through the cooler design for the 4090. Some interesting stuff.

Find someone who looks at you like Steve looks at someone when they’re discussing air flow in fan designs.

48E4B606-C4EC-4CAB-AFCF-34751EDB122A.jpeg

• 14Worf
Reactions: 13 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
VideoCardz.com(4K, DX11) Graphics Score
3DMark Fire Strike Ultra
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 AIB
25708 (100%)
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 Stock
25256 (98%)
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 16GB
17465 (68%)
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 Ti
14007 (54%)
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090
12607 (49%)
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti
12457 (48%)
NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 12GB
11593 (45%)
AMD Radeon RX 6950 XT
15038 (58%)
AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT
14333 (56%)
AMD Radeon RX 6800 XT
12950 (50%)
AMD Radeon RX 6800
10568 (41%)

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Yes, you really must buy it!
That's not what I'm saying. Springbok's chart illustrates what I'm saying. For the first time in a very long time, the flagship card really is not just a small 10-12% improvement over the second tier card. It is a full 45% more powerful, for 33% more money.

Find someone who looks at you like Steve looks at someone when they’re discussing air flow in fan designs.

View attachment 436726
haha I came here to post a very similar screengrab.

Though honestly if I could switch to a dream career it would definitely be doing exactly this kind of engineering, probably for high performance datacenter stuff and not gaming, but either would be awesome.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
It's more likely that we see a total redesign of GPU + CPU + motherboard that allows CPU and GPU share a single giant pool of superfast memory.

So you have a GPU cooler, a CPU cooler, and a memory cooler. Then the GPU board doesn't have to worry about powering and cooling the video memory, which allows the GPU housing to be much smaller.

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
It's more likely that we see a total redesign of GPU + CPU + motherboard that allows CPU and GPU share a single giant pool of superfast memory.
Been in Macbooks since 2020. Would love for this to make it's way to Windows architecture.

Break

Silver Baronet of the Realm
If motherboards came with soldered on 32GB or 64GB of GDDR6x then they would actually be worth the retarded prices they're charging these days.

• 1Worf

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider

So you have a GPU cooler, a CPU cooler, and a memory cooler. Then the GPU board doesn't have to worry about powering and cooling the video memory, which allows the GPU housing to be much smaller.

I am not interested in having my computers locked from the day I purchase them.... Apples "Solution" is the most bullshit excuse I've ever read about how they are "PROTECTING THERE USERS FROM MALWARE HARDWARE"

FUCK YOU APPLE.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
I am not interested in having my computers locked from the day I purchase them.... Apples "Solution" is the most bullshit excuse I've ever read about how they are "PROTECTING THERE USERS FROM MALWARE HARDWARE"

FUCK YOU APPLE.
No, seriously, the M1 Ultra is the most insane SOC ever produced and the current pinnacle of computer engineering expressed in silicon.

Literal case of "you might not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like."

• 1Like
  • 1Truth!

Folanlron

Trakanon Raider
No, seriously, the M1 Ultra is the most insane SOC ever produced and the current pinnacle of computer engineering expressed in silicon.

Literal case of "you might not like it, but this is what peak performance looks like."

Garbage, any Apple garbage

• 1Salty

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
3000 series era: buy what works for your screen

4000 series era: buy what you can fit in your tower
No shit. I have an absolutely monster-sized case and even I'd have to break out the ruler before ordering big one of these. That's a fucking chonky card. A lot of people don't think about that. Gonna be a lot of confused kids for christmas.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
No shit. I have an absolutely monster-sized case and even I'd have to break out the ruler before ordering big one of these. That's a fucking chonky card. A lot of people don't think about that. Gonna be a lot of confused kids for christmas.
I wonder how big the box is that it comes in, lool.