NVidia GeForce RTX 40x0 cards - x2 the power consumption, x2 the performance

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
We need Edaw Edaw to shoop a white 1080 on a couch with five big black 4090s looming behind it.
4088x5.png

• 8Worf
  • 2Double Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 11 users

spronk

FPS noob
4080 prebuilt PC for $2800 at newegg, they really should just only sell 4090 prebuilds

I just assembled my 12th gen Intel CPU, 3080 RTX PC last night from parts bought the last week, cost me $1200 or so and i'm upgrading from a 5-6 year old 1080. I forgot how much effort it is to do all this shit, and all my fingers are cut up like freddy krueger got to me from sharp edges in the case.

The sad thing is I probably won't play shit, I still prefer consoles for gaming but now at least I can play Vampire Survivors at 500 fps

• 2Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
4080 prebuilt PC for $2800 at newegg, they really should just only sell 4090 prebuilds

I just assembled my 12th gen Intel CPU, 3080 RTX PC last night from parts bought the last week, cost me $1200 or so and i'm upgrading from a 5-6 year old 1080. I forgot how much effort it is to do all this shit, and all my fingers are cut up like freddy krueger got to me from sharp edges in the case.

The sad thing is I probably won't play shit, I still prefer consoles for gaming but now at least I can play Vampire Survivors at 500 fps
I have been building PCs since 1994 and this time I took what I had bought to Microcenter, bought the MB, CPU, and case there and let them build it. $250 bucks and if you don't get a lazy as fuck tech like I did, it works out great. Even though I wasn't happy with the guy's ability to follow instructions, the actual build is top notch and I would use MC again, just not him personally.

TLDR: He just didn't follow any of my instructions,
-Installed the wrong OS (win 11 home rather than win 10 pro) I reinstalled Win 11 Pro
-installed the drives differently than I asked (installed older 1TB PCIE 3 drive as OS drive/drive 0 in pcie 5 slot and PCIE 4 2TB as drive 1 idle)
-installed all the case fans when I asked to be consulted re: noise level (turns out the arctic P12s I picked up don't respond to power adjustment, so they are full speed blowing all the time :|) ,
-didn't use my Arctic Liquid II 360 cooler because "he couldn't figure out how to mount it on AM5". When I showed them that Gamers nexus was using it with their AM5/Zen4 testing and sent them the mounting instructions for AM5 from Arctic, he still used another cooler I had listed as an alternative that they sold Derbauer recommended Deep Cool LS 520. When I complained, they grat'ed me the AIO but I still have a $140 AIO I can't return.

All of these are easily fixable if you don't give them out of the box choices to make or stay on them. I just drew the short straw with techs. Last one who helped me with my NZXT H1 build where I had bent a pin on the CPU was a champ. I have arthritis now but even if I didn't, having them do the build not to fuck with the parts and the cabling is worth the money. I just pretend I paid full price for a Windows and Office License and move on.

Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
If the fucks making motherboards and cases could get their shit together and standardize a bunch of the shit in there like the fucking I/O panel, power cable connector positions and the stupid ass power/reset/led/hdd connectors I think assembling PCs could even be simpler and less annoying than it is. It's not even that bad nowadays compared to how it used to be but some of these things are still fucking annoying. I did buy my PC assembled too last time I bought one, it was even cheaper than that(like 130euros I think it was?), saves me several hours of pointless stuff. I did a quick check to see if anything needed fixing but it was fine. Only downside is it takes a bunch of time longer, think you have to wait like a week or two more than if you just buy the pieces but back then I wasn't in a hurry.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

spronk

FPS noob
yeah next one i'll take it to one of the local pc shops, i was just curious if I was gonna fuck it up. First time I posted the system wouldn't start, turns out I somehow had put the DDR4 sticks in backwards (wasn't seated firmly) i'm surprised i didn't burn something out with that dumbass move. It was cool though, the z690 mobo I have has a 4 LED post area and it marked CPU as green but RAM as red, made it easy. My cabling is absolute shit, I do admire the places that do all the neat tricks with cable mods that look so clean.

anyways GPU market plummeted in Q3 2022, it looks like all the people who overpaid for 30xx's in the last 2 years are sticking with what they got, and nvidia vastly overestimated how much real demand there is for vastly overpriced 4090s. With no other market (bitcoin) for GPUs, 2023 should be interesting

• 1Like

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
I have been building PCs since 1994 and this time I took what I had bought to Microcenter, bought the MB, CPU, and case there and let them build it. $250 bucks and if you don't get a lazy as fuck tech like I did, it works out great. Even though I wasn't happy with the guy's ability to follow instructions, the actual build is top notch and I would use MC again, just not him personally.

TLDR: He just didn't follow any of my instructions,
-Installed the wrong OS (win 11 home rather than win 10 pro) I reinstalled Win 11 Pro
-installed the drives differently than I asked (installed older 1TB PCIE 3 drive as OS drive/drive 0 in pcie 5 slot and PCIE 4 2TB as drive 1 idle)
-installed all the case fans when I asked to be consulted re: noise level (turns out the arctic P12s I picked up don't respond to power adjustment, so they are full speed blowing all the time :|) ,
-didn't use my Arctic Liquid II 360 cooler because "he couldn't figure out how to mount it on AM5". When I showed them that Gamers nexus was using it with their AM5/Zen4 testing and sent them the mounting instructions for AM5 from Arctic, he still used another cooler I had listed as an alternative that they sold Derbauer recommended Deep Cool LS 520. When I complained, they grat'ed me the AIO but I still have a $140 AIO I can't return.

All of these are easily fixable if you don't give them out of the box choices to make or stay on them. I just drew the short straw with techs. Last one who helped me with my NZXT H1 build where I had bent a pin on the CPU was a champ. I have arthritis now but even if I didn't, having them do the build not to fuck with the parts and the cabling is worth the money. I just pretend I paid full price for a Windows and Office License and move on.

Same issue earlier this year at the MC in Cambridge! I had to go back two times. One for parts, another for refund on build/refund on inferior parts. It was bad enough that I got a refund on my build and just said fuckit, and did it myself. They gave me the cheaper Corsair fans. Fans were all pulling air in. They put the AIO in at the bottom of the case. They gave me the wrong case! (Although it was a better case). When I went to move the AIO cooler, it wasn't tightened enough that it shifted. It was a mess.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
You mean people making $17 an hour aren’t competent and hard working individuals? I for one am shocked that anyone had problems with them.

• 1Worf

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
You mean people making $17 an hour aren’t competent and hard working individuals? I for one am shocked that anyone had problems with them.
I bet they pay more than that. Certainly in Cambridge they do.

• 1Truth!

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Same issue earlier this year at the MC in Cambridge! I had to go back two times. One for parts, another for refund on build/refund on inferior parts. It was bad enough that I got a refund on my build and just said fuckit, and did it myself. They gave me the cheaper Corsair fans. Fans were all pulling air in. They put the AIO in at the bottom of the case. They gave me the wrong case! (Although it was a better case). When I went to move the AIO cooler, it wasn't tightened enough that it shifted. It was a mess.
I immediately checked everything when I got it home; build quality was top notch. Guy wasn't unskilled, just super lazy. If it took any mental effort, he just didn't want to do it. I think part of the trouble was lots of the people who go in there don't challenge them and I challenged their tech hierarchy by bringing a bunch of my own parts and then schooling them on the AIO. Honestly though, when I sit down to do it myself, even before RA made it painful, I find myself longing for older, more simple cases and less fiddle-fucking with all the power supply shroud/RGB/cable routing/fan commander bullshit. I also get stuck on paralysis by analysis and throwing money at problems and buying spares. Microcenter helps solve all of those problems for me. This time sucked but there are ways to overcome those issues: Give them matched drives, OS doesn't matter, don't give them options you don't intend for them to use, talk to the builder up front before they start to get on the same page, have them power it up and check it out before you leave the store, etc.

I don't know how many from scratch PCs I am going to have/buy/make but super worth it to me in the money/time analysis. I haven't seen a pre-built come close to what I want in parts, let alone parts/price.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
This gets my goat. As Soldier Boy said so eloquently, "Fuck those kids". No one makes these people take these jobs. They aren't kids; these are young adults building their skills and their networks. I learned to build PCs while I was going to college and beating people up for a living running security at a nightclub in 1994: I literally hung around in a mom-and-pop (actually an adult son starting his own branch) PC and electronic store and just asked questions while I was building my first computer and just kept hanging around. For free. No one paid me anything.

Eventually life moved on but Microcenter pays these people fairly and we can all expect them to do good work on the regular and have MC back that work up.

Last edited:

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
So I've had it do this before but I dont remember the result. Thru geforce experience I go through express isntallation on a driver. and in this case it continues to show me as 516.94 installed, and wanting me to install 526.98. Can click instal again. Does it's thing but gives me the same status again.

Also as a chrome idiot who has 4 windows of 20 tabs, is there a way to sleep select windows for ram draw?

Edaw

Parody
<Gold Donor>
So I've had it do this before but I dont remember the result. Thru geforce experience I go through express isntallation on a driver. and in this case it continues to show me as 516.94 installed, and wanting me to install 526.98. Can click instal again. Does it's thing but gives me the same status again.

Also as a chrome idiot who has 4 windows of 20 tabs, is there a way to sleep select windows for ram draw?

- Check for windows updates, restart machine.

- OneTab

• 1Like

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
do custom installation when it asks, and click perform a clean install before hitting install

• 2Like

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I'm surprised these shops you mention will build your systems at all, unless you bought the individual parts from them in the first place.