NVidia GeForce RTX 40x0 cards - x2 the power consumption, x2 the performance

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I'm surprised these shops you mention will build your systems at all, unless you bought the individual parts from them in the first place.
Depends on the shops I'd say, some sell the service directly, some only sell it as an addon when you buy a full PC like extended warranties and stuff. In the later it's usually cheaper/comes with a free OS installation but does force you to buy from only one shop. That said depending on what you're buying, the prices don't vary that much between shops, at least over here in Europe. Like I can't really find a top end GPU for cheaper by going to another shop, they all sell at roughly the same prices, so buying all the parts from one shop that will then put it together isn't a big loss, if any loss at all.

That said while I've been buying PC pre assembled, next one I'll probably buy parts cause I want to make an open PC thing so I don't have to care about the air flow at all(saves a surprising amount of money if you don't have to buy 5 high quality fans and an AIO for your CPU too). I'm planning on putting it in the room next to my PC room so I have to look into extended cables and stuff too which will increase the costs but at the end the advantage should be 0 noise(well, in the room I'm in), good "cooling" and easy to modify stuff if needed(also easier to assemble since I won't have to give a shit about cabling and what not). Just need to remove dust every now and then which isn't a big deal. Waiting for these 7900 XT benchmarks and shit though.

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Depends on the shops I'd say, some sell the service directly, some only sell it as an addon when you buy a full PC like extended warranties and stuff. In the later it's usually cheaper/comes with a free OS installation but does force you to buy from only one shop. That said depending on what you're buying, the prices don't vary that much between shops, at least over here in Europe. Like I can't really find a top end GPU for cheaper by going to another shop, they all sell at roughly the same prices, so buying all the parts from one shop that will then put it together isn't a big loss, if any loss at all.

That said while I've been buying PC pre assembled, next one I'll probably buy parts cause I want to make an open PC thing so I don't have to care about the air flow at all(saves a surprising amount of money if you don't have to buy 5 high quality fans and an AIO for your CPU too). I'm planning on putting it in the room next to my PC room so I have to look into extended cables and stuff too which will increase the costs but at the end the advantage should be 0 noise(well, in the room I'm in), good "cooling" and easy to modify stuff if needed(also easier to assemble since I won't have to give a shit about cabling and what not). Just need to remove dust every now and then which isn't a big deal. Waiting for these 7900 XT benchmarks and shit though.
pics when you do this please, sounds interesting.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
pics when you do this please, sounds interesting.
I mean you can google youtube videos and pictures there's quite a few models of cases like that, I was mostly looking at a simple one like the Thermaltake P3 which is basically just a normal case but only with the back plate and the front glass, with all the other faces removed. That or a more barebone thing like the frame-only models I've seen and such, but nothing custom made so there wouldn't be much to see. I haven't really settled on it yet, probably won't be for a couple of months since I'm waiting for AMD stuff then there's availability issues and then just getting everything sorted.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
I'm surprised these shops you mention will build your systems at all, unless you bought the individual parts from them in the first place.
Microcenter isn't a shop per se but more like a smaller Frys/Best Buy chain. They charge more to incorporate non-Microcenter parts but they have some weird gaps in their selection, like no Arctic AIO coolers and sometimes not the best prices; although they will pricematch now anyone online.
Really, the idea of anyone else building for me has only been a thing the last couple of years; I just had some projects I couldn't get finished due to time and my own mental blocks, constantly reworking them in the meantime from one form factor into another because of the delays.
Handing it off to someone was so helpful; I used to really enjoy the creation, turning piles of parts into computers and now it was just in the way of what I really wanted to spend my time doing, which I told myself was writing short stories and playing games but really is watching Youtube shorts, arguing with people on Twitter and hanging out here.

I am excited for the 7900XTX/XT real benchmarks to drop, although something seems funny about the wait. Is it just the "RT is the battlefield" meme that I keep seeing? Or is something else afoot.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
I mean you can google youtube videos and pictures there's quite a few models of cases like that, I was mostly looking at a simple one like the Thermaltake P3 which is basically just a normal case but only with the back plate and the front glass, with all the other faces removed. That or a more barebone thing like the frame-only models I've seen and such, but nothing custom made so there wouldn't be much to see. I haven't really settled on it yet, probably won't be for a couple of months since I'm waiting for AMD stuff then there's availability issues and then just getting everything sorted.
Nah bro I don't mean just the case, I mean the total build. I can wait too, no real plans to upgrade unless the AMD cards are so amazing that I can justify upgrading from my less than a year old 3080ti.

spronk

FPS noob
if you are looking to build out your own 4xxx system the MSI ATX 3.0 1000W PSU is back in stock, natively does the GPU connectors for 4090

seasonic is releasing their own ATX 3.0 in a few weeks.

my new 3080 build has been running smoothly for a week now, although hilariously i have yet to play a game on it. Its kinda cool how easy it is nowadays to move to a new PC, thanks to OneDrive, Chrome profiles, steam, etc it took all of maybe 1-2 hours to have everything exactly the way I want and I've only had to remote desktop into my old PC to copy settings once. I guess it is getting a lot like buying a new phone.

• 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
3upqjyyxdh3a1.jpg

• 3Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

spronk

FPS noob
microcenter has a buncha deals on CPU+mobo+memory

in particular the AMD 7700X + 32GB DDR5 + ASUS 670E mobo for $658 is really nice

1670078771392.png

1670078717557.png

• 1Seriously?

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
oh look, 1080p tests. Might as well run that shit at 720p.

• 2Moron
  • 2Seriously?
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
12700K + 4080 FE running pretty good. Never goes above 450W, only rarely above 420W, 200 fps @ 1440p just about every game.

Very interested in the 7900x3D though.

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
12700K + 4080 FE running pretty good. Never goes above 450W, only rarely above 420W, 200 fps @ 1440p just about every game.

Yeah went AMD specifically waiting for x3d next year, easy upgrade

Fucker

Log Wizard

Perhaps. Perhaps. How is your RGB game, tho?

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

spronk

FPS noob
Why is this in the 4090 thread then?

eh nothing really nuts i just visit FOH only once a day now and too lazy to go find the desktop PC forum/thread since I only visit 3 sub forums, i'll stop posting general PC stuff in here tho