Oblivion - Tom Cruise goes WALL-E

Chris

Potato del Grande
Looks like they are keeping a pretty tight lid on the actual story. If anyone comes across a full storyline spoiler, share that shit
biggrin.png
I don't know, I think the trailer had 3/4 of the plot.

Rime

<Donor>
I don't know, I think the trailer had 3/4 of the plot.
Pretty much this. Will be quite shocked if it goes anywhere other than what seems obvious in the trailer. Still, I will likely see it, if only because it visually looks good and there is so little 'big budget', pure science fiction.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
Tom cruise is not on earth! His body is floating in some sonic jiggle bath and his mind is being plundered for the last remnants of memories of earth. The earth was really destroyed by the invaders and he is now in plugged into a giant specimen jar. Morgan freeman and the other "survivors" are really just the ghosts of all the people Mr. Cruise used to know.

Oh and as far as the movie goes... yeah robot trannies.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Tom Cruise can do whatever he wants outside of his movies. He is one my favorite actors for sure.
I agree. I could give 2 shits what this dude does outside of the film, but he always gave a solid on screen performance that was always convincing and usually the movies were good to great.

supertouch_sl

shitlord
i've always liked him as an actor but he seems to be choosing his roles a little more indiscriminately these days which is a little disappointing.

iannis

Musty Nester
I really liked Legend. I still really like Legend.

Everything else Cruise has done is competent, but not exceptional. You know going into a Cruise movie that it will be well made. Sometimes you get more than that, sometimes you don't. The guy is just a movie star, he's not an actor... and I don't fault him for it. Neither do I pay him for it.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
It definitely is sad that this movie supports tom cruise. That said, it looks awesome and all of his movies are usually awesome anyways, so imma see it~

Aaubert

Silver Knight of the Realm
Knight & Day is actually a pretty well done action-comedy movie.
I can't understand this. I mean... I don't think anyone went in to Knight and Day thinking "This isn't going to be cheesy and predictable, and it's totally going to be good action and romance and humor," but.... the fact that it didn't utterly fail against ridiculously low standards is like praising McDonalds for not being moldy.

The following is obviously an indisputable list of Tom Cruise's successes and failures. I'm pretty lenient either way - Tropic Thunder wasn't glorious, but he was fantastic in it, etc. etc.

Wins for Cruise-
Taps
Risky Business
Rain Man
Interview w/ a Vampire
Mission Impossible
Jerry McGuire
Vanilla Sky
Minority Report
Valkyrie
Tropic Thunder

Utter Fails for Cruise-
Top Gun
Legend
Days of Thunder
The Firm
Magnolia
Mission Impossible 2 through... what, 5 now?
War of the Worlds
Knight & Day
Rock of Ages
Jack Reacher

I'll admit that I've not seen quite a few of his that I know have some acclaim, like Eyes Wide Shut or Lions for Lambs... but growing up in the 90s really forced you to have a pretty good idea about stuff like Top Gun. Giving him credit for horrible movies like War of the Worlds is just ridiculous.