Oblivion - Tom Cruise goes WALL-E

Felonius_sl

shitlord
I watched the trailer, and don't think it released too much info. Was actually just about right. Any less and I wouldn't have been interested, anymore and yes it would have spoilered.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Wasn't expecting this. It doesn't really look that special though. I agree that the trailer was too revealing. I think a really fast montage of some action scenes as cruise was falling from that skylight would have been enough to get people to theaters.

Gave away the premise of the movie in the trailer , he is working for said aliens that earth fought with to finish the job unknowingly.Till Morpheus shows up and tells him otherwise then he begins to fight said aliens , but i agree if it had a had a lot less action would be interesting to see.

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Gave away the premise of the movie in the trailer , he is working for said aliens that earth fought with to finish the job unknowingly.Till Morpheus shows up and tells him otherwise then he begins to fight said aliens , but i agree if it had a had a lot less action would be interesting to see.
Kinda this but I am still curious as to why aliens would bother with such an elaborate setup to convince humans to hunt down... modified and un-modified humans?

One day sci-fi movie writers are going to remember to start using implant technology and machine-bio enhancements in their "future" human world.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I'm willing to bet you pirate about 95% of the movies you watch anyhow.
Not true. I only try not to pay for films I dont like. Yeah I stream new films or watch em off cable. If I like a new movie which is rare I either see in the theater or buy the BR copy. I wont lie, I wont go see a film im not sure about and the movies I sneak into I consider that as defraying the cost of the overpriced movie ticket.

Szlia

It's by the director of Tron: Legacy on a screenplay he co-wrote based on a (yet to be published?) comic book he co-created... color me cautiously optimistic.

PatrickStar

Trakanon Raider
I remember the days when Tom Cruise would open movies like this during the summer blockbuster period of late May - late July. Now Jack Reacher and this are releasing in December and April.

Caliane

I feel like Tom Cruise actively ruins my enjoyment of movies now.

Its not even just the scientology shit. He keeps getting these rolls, that I just can't take him seriously in. he has no business being an action star. and more so, he keeps getting these roles of mr perfect. its fucking bizarre. Look at Matt Damon in Bourne roles. 1000x more believable then Cruise in MI, Reacher, and that other one.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I'll go see it, I try to support Sci Fi movies whenever I can as they need to make more of them.

Looks pretty good.

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
I feel like Tom Cruise actively ruins my enjoyment of movies now.

Its not even just the scientology shit. He keeps getting these rolls, that I just can't take him seriously in. he has no business being an action star. and more so, he keeps getting these roles of mr perfect. its fucking bizarre. Look at Matt Damon in Bourne roles. 1000x more believable then Cruise in MI, Reacher, and that other one.
For the most part I'm with you. In particular Reacher. I've read a ton of those books, and Tom Cruise is about the last person I would have cast as Reacher. He's supposed to be physically big and imposing, and more often than not uses his size to his advantage. When his normal move might be to bull rush someone and overwhelm them with his size and strength, it just isn't believable to think that someone Cruise's size would do the same thing. No amount of special effect wizardry will make me believe he's dominating fuckers The Rock style.

For this movie though, I probably won't mind because it doesn't appear that his size is necessary to the story. He still puts out good movies (even if I might have liked other actors in the role just as well) most of the time, and this one looks pretty entertaining, so I'll go see it and probably not care one bit that he's in it. Like others I had no idea this movie even existed until this thread.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I haven't enjoyed a Tom Cruise movie since Collateral... or maybe Minority Report, depending on which one was released later.

This looks pretty good though based on the trailer alone.

spronk

FPS noob
i'm pretty sure

There are no aliens, it was all a setup by "the man" aka corporations to destroy democracy, but Scientology in the end saves them all.

Looks like a watch-at-home movie. It is interesting what a big burst of 2013 scifi movies we are seeing in the last few weeks, hopefully that translates to more scifi shows on TV next fall.