Occupy Claude Moore Colonial Farm: (Keep A Cost-Free Park Closed, Yes or No?)

Zhaun_sl

shitlord
Didn't someone link some federal 1880's law that says "X" has to be shut down no matter actual costs if the government shuts down and goes unfunded?

Gadrel_sl

shitlord
But if they don't shut down all of these open air parks that people can easily walk through how on earth will the media pressure Republicans into caving?

iannis

Musty Nester
Serious question: in an open air park, what stops you from just walking in?

We have state parks nearby that close at sundown. All that means is that they lock the bathroom doors, and the lady that was sitting over in the building near the entrance that I don't know what it's for (and I'm not sure anyone actually does know what it's for) -- she goes home. The federal park (a few hours away) doesn't even have that strange little building that houses the strange lady.

This experience may be atypical.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
There's a federal park near me with only one road in, they kicked all the campers out and barricaded the road. Now, you could sneak in walking or riding a bike probably, although so far every day I've seen a couple rangers in trucks sitting at the head of the road....I guess they are essential employees working for free at the moment. But my assumption was that they are liable for this land. Those rangers have arrest power, can give speeding tickets and charge you with DWI, etc. Letting people on the park land when you can't assure staffing to normal levels of safety and security is probably too big a can of worms. Obviously some parts of parks will always have inherent natural risk or danger and its theoretically absurd to shut people out from open space, but I imagine some level of accountability is what's at issue here. Possibly also opening up the park to unchecked vandalism or other bad behavior that would normally be prohibited for the good of the park. Dumping, unauthorized hunting, the list probably goes on and on. These lands were preserved for us, but the flip side of that is the park service is tasked with protecting the parks and the visitors, so without staffing they can't fulfill their mission and its better for everyone to shut it down.

Just responding to the generalization about open space that "belongs to us man", didn't read about the park in the article. I've heard a number of people railing against shutting people out of nature and shit, but there's more at work than that realistically.

Nimchammund_sl

shitlord
No one is responsible to maintain this park though, therefore there is no one to violate the 1800's law..... Feds need to get the heck out.

Also, private park, not federally owned, shut down by the Federal Government. See article on Mount Vernon.

s a war on for your mind!

Burnesto

Molten Core Raider
How much do people get paid to dress up and stand around all day at these kinds of historical places? Or are these weirdos in 1700's clothing volunteers?

Selix

Lord Nagafen Raider
Scenario 1: Park is open but no employees. Some Westboro assholes go in and start defacing memorials, statues, etc.
Result: Fuckin Obama

Scenario 2: Park is closed and vets who traveled across the country can't get in.
Result: Fuckin.Obama

Scenario 3: Park is open and staffed. Law says you can't do that.
Result: Fuckin Obama