October Book of the Month - Poll Edition

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
This month is going to be a theme month.

We are doing books that are being turned into upcoming TV shows. None of these shows have aired yet. I picked one from almost every network.

The rules I have are as such.

1.) Book with the most votes wins.
2.) Second place book rolls over one month into it's slot on the poll. All the other ones you will never see again.
3.) I will put the poll up for the next month on or near the 20th giving us around 10 days to vote.
4.) Enjoy reading.

TV-Show HBO -The Leftoversby Tom Perrotta

the_leftovers.jpg

What if?whoosh, right now, with no explanation?a number of us simply vanished? Would some of us collapse? Would others of us go on, one foot in front of the other, as we did before the world turned upside down?
That?s what the bewildered citizens of Mapleton, who lost many of their neighbors, friends and lovers in the event known as the Sudden Departure, have to figure out. Because nothing has been the same since it happened?not marriages, not friendships, not even the relationships between parents and children.

Kevin Garvey, Mapleton?s new mayor, wants to speed up the healing process, to bring a sense of renewed hope and purpose to his traumatized community. Kevin?s own family has fallen apart in the wake of the disaster: his wife, Laurie, has left to join the Guilty Remnant, a homegrown cult whose members take a vow of silence; his son, Tom, is gone, too, dropping out of college to follow a sketchy prophet named Holy Wayne. Only Kevin?s teenaged daughter, Jill, remains, and she?s definitely not the sweet ?A? student she used to be. Kevin wants to help her, but he?s distracted by his growing relationship with Nora Durst, a woman who lost her entire family on October 14th and is still reeling from the tragedy, even as she struggles to move beyond it and make a new start.

TV-Show AMC -The Terrorby Dan Simmons

20130214b_image_1.jpg

The men on board HMS Terror have every expectation of finding the Northwest Passage. When the expedition's leader, Sir John Franklin, meets a terrible death, Captain Francis Crozier takes command and leads his surviving crewmen on a last, desperate attempt to flee south across the ice. But as another winter approaches, as scurvy and starvation grow more terrible, and as the Terror on the ice stalks them southward, Crozier and his men begin to fear there is no escape. A haunting, gripping story based on actual historical events, The Terror is a novel that will chill you to your core.

TV-Show CW -The 100by Kass Morgan

The-100-icon.jpg

Ever since a devastating nuclear war, humanity has lived on spaceships far above Earth's radioactive surface. Now, one hundred juvenile delinquents -- considered expendable by society -- are being sent on a dangerous mission: to recolonize the planet. It could be their second chance at life...or it could be a suicide mission.

CLARKE was arrested for treason, though she's haunted by the memory of what she really did. WELLS, the chancellor's son, came to Earth for the girl he loves -- but will she ever forgive him? Reckless BELLAMY fought his way onto the transport pod to protect his sister, the other half of the only pair of siblings in the universe. And GLASS managed to escape back onto the ship, only to find that life there is just as dangerous as she feared it would be on Earth.

Confronted with a savage land and haunted by secrets from their pasts, the hundred must fight to survive. They were never meant to be heroes, but they may be mankind's last hope.

TV-Show ABC -The Returnedby Jason Mott

500x500_3634830_file.jpeg

Harold and Lucille Hargrave's lives have been both joyful and sorrowful in the decades since their only son, Jacob, died tragically at his eighth birthday party in 1966. In their old age they've settled comfortably into life without him, their wounds healed through the grace of time?. Until one day Jacob mysteriously appears on their doorstep?flesh and blood, their sweet, precocious child, still eight years old.

All over the world people's loved ones are returning from beyond. No one knows how or why this is happening, whether it's a miracle or a sign of the end. Not even Harold and Lucille can agree on whether the boy is real or a wondrous imitation, but one thing they know for sure: he's their son. As chaos erupts around the globe, the newly reunited Hargraves find themselves at the center of a community on the brink of collapse, forced to navigate a mysterious new reality and a conflict that threatens to unravel the very meaning of what it is to be human.

TV-Show FX -The Strainby Guillermo Del Toro

the-strain-guillermo-del-toro-book-cover.jpg

A Boeing 777 arrives at JFK and is on its way across the tarmac, when it suddenly stops dead. All window shades are pulled down. All lights are out. All communication channels have gone quiet. Crews on the ground are lost for answers, but an alert goes out to the CDC. Dr. Eph Goodweather, head of their Canary project, a rapid-response team that investigates biological threats, gets the call and boards the plane. What he finds makes his blood run cold.

In a pawnshop in Spanish Harlem, a former professor and survivor of the Holocaust named Abraham Setrakian knows something is happening. And he knows the time has come, that a war is brewing . . .

So begins a battle of mammoth proportions as the vampiric virus that has infected New York begins to spill out into the streets. Eph, who is joined by Setrakian and a motley crew of fighters, must now find a way to stop the contagion and save his city--a city that includes his wife and son--before it is too late.

TV-Show NBC -The Republic of Piratesby Colin Woodward (NON-FICTION)

442239.jpg

Welcome to the Pirate Republic?the early-eighteenth-century home to some of the great pirate captains, including Blackbeard, "Black Sam" Bellamy, and Charles Vane. Along with their fellow pirates?former sailors, indentured servants, and runaway slaves?this "Flying Gang" established a crude but distinctive democracy in the Bahamas, carving out their own zone of freedom in which servants were free, blacks could be equal citizens, and leaders were chosen or deposed by a vote.

For a brief, glorious period the Pirate Republic was enormously successful. It cut off trade routes, sacked slave ships, and severed Europe from its New World empires. Imperial authorities and wealthy shipowners denounced its residents as the enemies of mankind, but common people saw them as heroes. Colin Woodard tells the dramatic untold story of the Pirate Republic that shook the very foundations of the British and Spanish Empires and fanned the democratic sentiments that would one day drive the American Revolution.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Yeah, I really like the theme. I voted The Leftovers, the premise sounds awesome.

elidib

Vyemm Raider
Out of all of the books, the Pirate one sounded the best to me. But out of all of the shows, the only one that even has a remote possibility to not suck is the HBO one
frown.png

Fucking networks...

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Yeah I will probably read them all just cause I don't have much going on, I have 3 books coming out in October on my to read list so a low reading month.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Already saw The Terror so voting leftovers. The strain is going to win though because lol zombies/vampires.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Pirates for the fucking win. That 100 shit sounds cool, but the CW adapting it sounds terrible.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Already saw The Terror so voting leftovers. The strain is going to win though because lol zombies/vampires.
Read the OP this morning and was coming here now to post the same thing you just did. Fucking CW.

I voted Pirates. That book sounds pretty amazing...NBC better not fuck it up.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I went for The Strain, but it was a toss up with that and The Returned. Surprised that has zero votes. Sounded like a cool idea, sort of Stephen King vibe from the description.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
Returned and Leftovers both sound like some religious claptrap to me. That's my kryptonite. Both of them set off my god-dar. <-- I need something more clever than that.

khalid

Unelected Mod
I went for The Strain, but it was a toss up with that and The Returned. Surprised that has zero votes. Sounded like a cool idea, sort of Stephen King vibe from the description.
I think the issue is, like Ko said, is that all the ones sound pretty interesting.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
So we're not allowed to discuss any of the books at this point? I read ahead on two of them. >_<

Lusiphur

Peasant
Ok Gabe. You did seriously good this month. Letting go of your "I must have read it first" restriction is really going to help. Seriously man, good job here.
I would have went for The 100 too but teenagers + CW means its just going to be bad. Guillermo del Toro it is
wink.png

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
Let me add my kudos to the rest, you got me interested in almost all of these books/shows to be honest. Not sure what I'm going to vote for yet, but I would imagine I'll read several of them regardless of what gets picked, and probably watch all of them until I have a reason not to.