Okay bros - Oil Prices & Energy Stocks - time to buy?

Gadrel_sl

shitlord
Game theory dictates that OPEC countries never cut input, they just try to get each other to do so. Now, countries like Venezuela are running enormous deficits that threaten to topple their governments. They can't and won't cut production. The other OPEC countries that are more stable are still running deficits and some, such as the Saudis, have political reasons not to cut production. OPEC can't and won't cut production.

There are a thousand articles about unexplored shale formations and projected recoverable US supply. Google them. There are a thousand articles reporting that most US explorers and producers have 2-3 years hedged at good prices. There are a thousand articles reporting on how quickly costs have dropped for exploration in the Bakken. Google them you lazy twat.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
I don't think I would bet on the oil prices bouncing right back. I heard an interview with some dude on the radio that said that the Bakken is basically producing oil for less than OPEC can and while some companies are leveraged to the hilt and are in trouble at these prices others will just ride it out and keep producing. My cousin is married to a driller in the Bakken and he said that the drilling has definitely slowed down since the bottom fell out of the market but that just means that it is expanding more slowly, not necessarily that production is going to be cut.

As usual, when it comes to investing, don't gamble money you can't afford to lose, whether you are playing blackjack in Vegas or trying to time market swings.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Game theory dictates that OPEC countries never cut input, they just try to get each other to do so. Now, countries like Venezuela are running enormous deficits that threaten to topple their governments. They can't and won't cut production. The other OPEC countries that are more stable are still running deficits and some, such as the Saudis, have political reasons not to cut production. OPEC can't and won't cut production.

There are a thousand articles about unexplored shale formations and projected recoverable US supply. Google them. There are a thousand articles reporting that most US explorers and producers have 2-3 years hedged at good prices. There are a thousand articles reporting on how quickly costs have dropped for exploration in the Bakken. Google them you lazy twat.
Get out of the serious threads if you don't want to actually present supporting evidence for your theories and opinions. You want to express an opinion here that people may heed? When questioned as to where you got your information provide evidence. I'm not asking you for song lyrics, I'm asking you to support your opinion.

Gadrel_sl

shitlord
Get out of the serious threads if you don't want to actually present supporting evidence for your theories and opinions. You want to express an opinion here that people may heed? When questioned as to where you got your information provide evidence. I'm not asking you for song lyrics, I'm asking you to support your opinion.
Bro I don't fucking care whether you like my opinion or not. I don't care if you think I should support it. I don't care if you go and buy a shitload of oil futures and lose all your money next year. Do your own damn research.

Why haven't you asked anyone else in this thread to "support" their opinions? Is it because I'm not saying what you want to hear? Cry me a river.

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I get it, you just want a soap box instead of discussion. I wanted to start a discussion as to the merits of what you were saying. I wanted to see why even though people technically agree with you, you think the prices will drop over a longer period than everyone else seems to.

Forums are for discussion, not for saying "This is what's gonna happen" and then telling people to Google it when they ask why you think that.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
If you bought on Friday you probably aren't to happy today.
Hooray for not buying yet
smile.png
Below $50/barrel that's nuts look at the continued destruction of the drillers like EXXI down another 10% today

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Some recent friends in my new area are tied in with oil refining companies here in the US, and they've stated with how much oil is floating in tankers for YEARS at a time currently because of how everything works that they'd be leery until it's under $30/barrel - they wouldn't even be shocked to see $20/barrels, but expect the bottom to be $30ish.

Cad

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
My money is still safe in the bank (way over FDIC limit for now, but USAA isn't going anywhere), glad I didn't buy Friday.
smile.png

Cad

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
God damn it VGELX got hammered today, down almost 5%.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Thanks for the tip-- VGELX looks like a good buy and am going to pick some up. An analyst friend at the office thinks it might take further beatings over the next 3-6 months as he thinks oil prices will still head lower, but it looks solid as a long term position.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Until Saudi changes their stance, I only see it dropping further.

While you are correct in saying its a good long term buy, I think it's a safe bet to wait for a further drop in prices.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'm at about 37% full of an oil tank in my house, is now the time to buy more oil or should I wait?

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Good idea, I'll have to call them and then write a check - they operate like they're in the 1920's I swear.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
You have to be careful with that stuff. It's the same with propane here, a lot of people charge based on what they paid for the stuff, not what the current market is and if they stocked up at the wrong time, they may very well attempt to pass their buttraping on to you.

Strifen

Molten Core Raider
There are some great opportunities in both energy and commodity/mining stocks which have been incredibly beaten down. There will be fortunes made in these sectors as the middle class grows around the developing world. I'm looking long term though.