Old titties worth revisiting ? - post yours here.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Neverwinter Nights 2 + expansions.

I often miss out on new releases as my game backlog is well long. With the inherent dearth of good, complex, PC RPGs these days I have resorted to playing titles I missed from the past. One game i did not play in the past was Neverwinter Nights 2. Given I love me some D&D 3.5 I recently got back to trying this out and man, what a great experience.

If you like D&D 3.5 and have a PC with horsepower, very much recommend this. I have been enjoying the player made content as well, some really good stuff. Thought this thread may be helpful for those "missing the good old days". If anyone else is playing older stuff and enjoying, I would love to hear about it !

Jait

Molten Core Raider
NWN2 is great. People didn't bother figuring out the UI or Cameras and thought it sucked. Next to Baldurs Gate it's the best CRPG I've played in years and years. The expansion sucked until you turned off the Spirit Meter, and the last expansion was confusing. Still a fantastic vanilla game.

Right now I'm toying around with King of Dragon Pass. Missed that release the first time around.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I thought NWN2's ui and camera were fine; certainly a lot better than NWN in that regard. I thought it sucked because the 3.5E rules implementation was an abomination, especially the classes. I remember spending way too much time trying to fix ranged touch attacks myself because the only prestige class I was interested in playing was Arcane Trickster, but it just couldn't be done properly.

That said, Mask of the Betrayer was good enough to ignore all the bad things about the game's engine and ruleset.

As for other old CRPGs worth revisiting, anyone who never played ToEE with the Co8 mod really should do so. *That* game is how you do 3.5E rules right (even if Troika did have it kind of easy with the level capped at only 10).

Another game that immediately comes to mind because I was just browsing through GOG's new releases today is Omikron: the Nomad Soul. Until now, the game barely even ran on Windows XP, and Vista/7 was completely out of the question. I missed it when it was new, and only got to play part of it on my Dreamcast. It's definitely not a game that has aged well, but still something worth checking out if you're a fan of Fahrenheit / Indigo Prophecy and Heavy Rain and want to see where Quantic Dream got their start.

Noah

Molten Core Raider
Depends on how much you like really old games but

I really liked star control 2, which has been re released under the name Ur-Quan masters so that whatever the original company could still retain license.
http://sc2.sourceforge.net/downloads.php

I played ultima 7 and ultima 7 part 2 last year using exult (different game engine that supports multiple resolutions and other features) which are pretty fun games

I tried to get starflight 2 working - when that game came out think when I had a 286dx and a monochrome monitor, or maybe it was even before that.

Caliane

Ultima:underworld.
Revolutionary. Influential. does not get the credit it should. Lightyears ahead of its time. To this day, not matched.
This game came out a year before doom. Its funny, reading GAF, there was a "worst reviews" thread. and someone posted a review a doom, that gave it a 7/10. One of the big things the reviewer commented on, was how Doom failed to have many of the things ultima did. (being able to aim up and down for example) The person posting the review, thought the 7/10 under appreciated doom. But reading the article, all I could thing was, this reviewer was 100% correct, and anyone that had actually played Ultima first probably would have said the same thing.
(I haven't played recently, nor do I know if there are win7, or recent comparable versions.)

Vampire:the Masquerade

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Red Faction

I love this game and wish I could get a nice group of people playing multiplayer again hell even the single player was badass. I really wish there were more FPS games with the early 2000's style, fast pace with crazy weapons.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
I thought NWN2's ui and camera were fine; certainly a lot better than NWN in that regard. I thought it sucked because the 3.5E rules implementation was an abomination, especially the classes. I remember spending way too much time trying to fix ranged touch attacks myself because the only prestige class I was interested in playing was Arcane Trickster, but it just couldn't be done properly.

That said, Mask of the Betrayer was good enough to ignore all the bad things about the game's engine and ruleset.

As for other old CRPGs worth revisiting, anyone who never played ToEE with the Co8 mod really should do so. *That* game is how you do 3.5E rules right (even if Troika did have it kind of easy with the level capped at only 10).

Another game that immediately comes to mind because I was just browsing through GOG's new releases today is Omikron: the Nomad Soul. Until now, the game barely even ran on Windows XP, and Vista/7 was completely out of the question. I missed it when it was new, and only got to play part of it on my Dreamcast. It's definitely not a game that has aged well, but still something worth checking out if you're a fan of Fahrenheit / Indigo Prophecy and Heavy Rain and want to see where Quantic Dream got their start.
It is funny you mention the Arcane Trickster, it is fixed now if you load up Kaedrin's class pack ( mod ). He fixes the ranged touch attack issue with most all spells and it adds a ton of new prestige classes also.

That is the char I have been playing and its damn fun. Just started "The legacy of White Plume Mountain" which is a player made campaign. Decided to go focus on enchantment spells and conj for my trickster so basically i hold / sleep / confuse / etc mobs and just get behind em and sneak attack.. mostly one shot em. Its way fun.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
I'm re-playing NWN2 right now actually. Funny it came up here.
The screens from Neverwinter reminded me of NWN2, so I almost did as well.

Anyone know if there's any mods that finished the side stories in the original campaign? I remember Qara and Bishop both had HUGE holes in their stories due to budget.

I'll second V:TM Bloodlines. Probably the best western RPG that didn't get the attention it deserved.

Gothic 2 is also another RPG that I go back and play every two years or so.

Morrowind: GoTY edition with mods to satisfy my sandbox needs on a yearly basis as well.

Kaige

ReRefugee
<WoW Guild Officer>
Sacrifice.

I can't recall any games I've come across that are close to it. Great voice-acting, insane gameplay, and some of the graphics still aren't bad after all these years.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
For those who love simulation games then I can wholeheartedly recommend Open Transport Tycoon Delux (OpenTTD). For me this is the way simulations should function. Now if only it were possible to do something like this with a SimCity title...

http://www.openttd.org/en/