Olympics Thread

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
I had to start a new thread for this, I know it's a while before the games but a huge decision was made recently.

The executive board of the International Olympic Committe has decided to drop wrestling from the 2020 games.

I wonder how long before the drop Track and Field in favor of Rally Drifting or some other niche X-Games sport. I feel it's a rediculous move to axe one of the oldest Olympic sports from the games.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
They probably can't sell the airtime, and countries that host the olympics don't want to build facilities for it. I'm just guessing, but it's usually about the $$$.

The board voted after reviewing a report by the IOC program commission report that analyzed 39 criteria, including television ratings, ticket sales, anti-doping policy and global participation and popularity. With no official rankings or recommendations contained in the report, the final decision by the 15-member board was also subject to political, emotional and sentimental factors.
Wrestling will now join seven other sports in applying for inclusion in 2020. The others are a combined bid from baseball and softball, karate, squash, roller sports, sport climbing, wakeboarding and wushu. They will be vying for a single opening in 2020.
Source

Gravy

Bronze Squire
I'm no huge fan of wrestling, but I was shocked to hear this news. I've always enjoyed any Olympic coverage from wrestling though, but it seems it doesn't get the airtime that some other sports enjoy.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Right now it looks like it's going to be replaced with either Climbing or Wakeboarding.

That seems silly.

Agraza

Registered Hutt
I might watch climbing...if they have to fight american gladiators on their way to the top.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
Haha, I made that same joke to my brother a little bit ago.
tongue.png

Also they should be able to shoot them with tennis balls.

Jx3

Riddle me this...
Seriously, wrestling? Pretty sure that was an original (I'm talking Greek) Olympic sport. Why not dump cycling, it's already been shown its crooked as fuck.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Climbing wouldn't be so bad if they didn't get to use harnesses. But wakeboarding? fuck...

How much does it cost to "build a facility" for fucking wrestling? It's not like a pool or something.

But yeah, the Olympic$ is what it is...wrestling doesn't draw enough eyes to Coca Cola and McDonald's. It's usually on at 2 am on the secondary coverage channels or something.

Welp the stuff I always wanna see televised in Olymps rarely is like as Boxing, TKD, Judo. They end up showing doubles diving and beach volleyball. Is that shit really the big draw rating wise? hard to believe. they always bitch about shit ratings.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Wrestling is truly a global sports. Just look at the gold medalist of the past 10 years from the World Championship. You will find people from all over the world America, the Caribbean, Europe and Asia; all represented on the gold podium.
It is so low tech in terms of cost, set up. You don't have to build a series of stadiums, just use a high school gym with a mat. It is disgusting the IOC decision.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Seriously, wrestling? Pretty sure that was an original (I'm talking Greek) Olympic sport. Why not dump cycling, it's already been shown its crooked as fuck.
I'm pretty sure it's been an Olympic sport for at least a thousand years. This sucks.

Jx3

Riddle me this...
Welp the stuff I always wanna see televised in Olymps rarely is like as Boxing, TKD, Judo. They end up showing doubles diving and beach volleyball. Is that shit really the big draw rating wise? hard to believe. they always bitch about shit ratings.
I agree. I would rather see boxing, fencing, Judo, TKD, wrestling, instead of the stupid swimming and other goofy shit. I realize that some sports are easier to get people to get excited about. lets be honest though, if they built up TKD or wrestling like they did swimming who knows how big those sports could get. Maybe its just the people I know but most of them would rather watch wrestling and TKD instead of the stuff they show when the Olympics roll around. Hell I treat swimming like nascar, just tune into sports center and find out who won, skips all the Bob Costas cut scenes.