On becoming an electrician

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Ran two three inch conduit through four walls with one kicker and 2 90s to land it. Couldn’t move any of the existing pipe, due to hospital junction. The machine used to pull the 4 cables of wire was insane, just getting them off the spool into a cluster of 4 took all my body weight with arms and shoulders. Did it twice at 150 feet each. I didn’t take any more pictures but very solid work. Hell of a three day haul.
Fuck the boiler room though that shit was 90+ in there.
IMG_0739.jpeg

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Fuck this ladder, fuck this roof, fuck these fans. Ladder was barely holding on, roof was reflecting the sun and while holding me it was spongy and felt terrible to walk on. Fans needed belts and a few replaced, heavy fuckers.
Was a good day.
IMG_0810.jpeg
IMG_0814.jpeg
IMG_0811.jpeg
IMG_0812.jpeg

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
Tell them OSHA requires a fixed industrial ladder exceeding 20 feet to have a cage around it unless it's for emergency egress only. Ask them why you are having to go UP an egress only ladder. Under 1910.21

I'm sure they get some limited use waiver and such.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Tell them OSHA requires a fixed industrial ladder exceeding 20 feet to have a cage around it unless it's for emergency egress only. Ask them why you are having to go UP an egress only ladder. Under 1910.21

After you get paid, of course.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Borzak

After you get paid, of course.

Weigh how much the company fears getting a larger fine from OSHA compared to how much they pay you. I have seen it a lot. FYI don't use the term blackmail. "Bringing it to their attention" and maybe throw in how you aren't happy about it. Not me of course, just saying.

• 1Cringe
Reactions: 1 user

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Bosses always love having employees come to them telling them a job is unsafe and OSHA wouldn't approve of it being worked. Always.

• 1Truth!

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Fuck this ladder, fuck this roof, fuck these fans. Ladder was barely holding on, roof was reflecting the sun and while holding me it was spongy and felt terrible to walk on. Fans needed belts and a few replaced, heavy fuckers.
Was a good day.
View attachment 526181
Your picture just triggered my ptsd from the time I did a roof where the only way up was to climb a fully extended 32 and then transfer over to a wall-bolted ladder to finish the climb. REEEEEEE

Hatorade

A nice asshole.

Here is the other way up and down…I said fuck that.
IMG_0820.jpeg

may this point I have been up and down that ladder about 10 times and I think we are done for a while.

• 1Worf

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Bosses always love having employees come to them telling them a job is unsafe and OSHA wouldn't approve of it being worked. Always.

Dunno. Good friend of mine ran a demolition company for about 20 years and saw lots of his competitors get into problems over safety. Religiously following OSHA starts to look pretty good after your second or third major injury lawsuit.

Borzak

Company I worked at when I started in this line of work got shut down after some heavy fines from OSHA about what they were doing with their paint. Now all shops just send it out to a full time paint/coatings company. Much less hassle.

Word spreads like wildfire.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
IMHO it really depends on the individual company.

I mean, Sanrith Descartes Sanrith Descartes isn't wrong in any way at all...but the older I get, and the more sites I walk onto, the more I feel like the places that give you shit for complaining about 'working unsafe' are just the kind of companies I'm not interested in working for, or with.

For Hatorade Hatorade , that can be a tricky situation, because some employers on that side of the aisle may not want to ruffle the feathers of a customer that is willing to pay but also doesn't care about safety. But if I was quoting that kind of customer, I'd also consider adding in the cost of actually working safe as well...because fuck them.

Like for Borzak Borzak if I'm in a refinery, and especially around the Alky shit and hydroflouric acid, I'm super fucking cautious because I don't want to fucking die. But I've literally never had to worry about safety in those kind of places, either, because the people I'm on site to help are 10 times more cautious than I ever could possibly be and they take that fucking shit seriously. Same as if I'm in a power plant and I have to go anywhere near anything over 600V (which RARELY ever happens). I've literally had to stand around for 1-2 hours with my proverbial dick in my hand waiting for 6 levels of supervisors to sign off on LOTO paperwork and go through the incredibly tedious "add your lock to this box and sign here...and here...and here..." just to do 5m of fucking work on a 4-20mA instrumentation loop. That's infinitely better than going on a service call where I'm told that they've got a corner ground B phase system, and "oh BTW we have some grounding issues, so you might get bit when you open the cover to do your work...just don't stand in the puddle of fetid water that has metal slag floating in it while you're working..."

Also also...I've taught some OSHA 3095 courses before, and all it was, was me going through the topics, and having everyone who was taking the class (all with as much experience as I have, if not MORE) laughing and swapping horror stories back and forth, pertinent to each and every topic. It was simultaneously hilarious and terrifying.

• 2Like

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
Safety is more and more part of the larger (IMHO) better companies. Last place I worked , I was a PM on multiple projects and everyone's $$$ was tied to safety scores and audits. All I was doing was apartment/residential stuff but even our power plant guys are the same way. Doesn't matter if you made a shit ton of cash, if you do something stupid , no bonus for you and your ass will get fired. They also had anonymous phone numbers for anyone , from the president to the greenest of the green field guys to call if you felt you were being asked to do something unsafe and it was used.

Big change from when I came up, where it was frowned upon to turn the power off to work on something. Like Erronius Erronius said, anyone there over 35-40 or so was all war stories. Some of that shit, I'm amazed I'm still here.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Since this detail has caught some legs I will expand on my semi-snarky comment. After decades with AT&T, we really did stress safety for outside forces. Trainings, equipment, hell our guys had FVDs issued (foreign voltage detectors) and our counterparts at Florida Power and Light didn't. And then over time the inevitable happened. On one side the company c-suite kept pushing productivity and the numbers started looking impossible to attain while following all the safety rules and on the other side there were always some section of the union workforce who would always find a "safety issue" when they got assigned a nasty ugly job they didn't want to work.

And stuck in the middle were low and mid level management dealing with both. If a job is "legitimately" unsafe to work then it should be stopped until the issue is rectified. Unfortunately, experience showed me all to often "unsafe" meant "I don't want to work this particular job".

Invariably those same techs would not wear lanyard and/or hardhats while a loft because it got in the way or it was hot. They also were the same guys who failed to tie off their extension ladders with safety straps because "I'm only going up for a minute". After enough years you just become jaded to the whole idea of work place safety.

• 1Like

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
I’ve been at a large electric utility company for almost 2 years now. Safety is crammed into everything possible. It can be excessive sometimes, especially for us office (remote in my case) people. That said we still have at least a few serious injuries every year and I think 2 people have died. One was struck by a pole that was being replaced and the other was electrocuted.

It was the same in the Air Force, minus the deaths. But there were a couple close calls.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
The worst in recent memory, in my 'territory' I guess you could say (I was 0% involved) were the two dudes who got cooked by steam in an elevator shaft.

Shit is already dangerous enough, without ignoring basic safety shit. RIP

Kajiimagi

<Gold Donor>
The worst in recent memory, in my 'territory' I guess you could say (I was 0% involved) were the two dudes who got cooked by steam in an elevator shaft.

Shit is already dangerous enough, without ignoring basic safety shit. RIP

link is paywalled

Borzak

Pretty simple. If you don't personally feel safe don't do it. If that means walking off and finding a new job that's the way it is. Your safety in most situations is up to you. If you don't know enough about the job or situation to know if it's safe or not that's an entire other issue.

The ladder that started this derail I would have passed on unless I had a way to attach my harness to something more substantional. Just me. I'm used to much more substantial industrial ladders. I design them, draw them, and see them fabricated so I know what is good to go for the most part and what is janky, and that looked janky to me. I'm sure I've done a large number of things that a lot of other people would have said no way in hell. Fires, explosions, releases and crawling on condemned structures never bothered me. Falling comes up very often in the accidents I've seen and the reports I get for the places I go. Always a harness and a buddy/spotter if more than a few feet off the ground and not a caged ladder for me and it's the rule at most places. That ladder looked structurally like shit.

Last edited:
  • 2Like