Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019)

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
So none of this has anything to do with the movie. Sounds like you just think Tarantino is a douche which isn't news.

I'm normally pretty good about keeping the artist and the work separate but he managed to do enough shit to impair my enjoyment of his catalog.

So, anyway.

The depiction of Bruce Lee was tasteless and only done so The Coolest Man on the Planet could be made to look even cooler and several times we have the director's foot fetish on display. Those things are part of the movie. Destroying a priceless guitar borrowed from a museum is part of that movie.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
So, anyway.

The depiction of Bruce Lee was tasteless and only done so The Coolest Man on the Planet could be made to look even cooler and several times we have the director's foot fetish on display. Those things are part of the movie. Destroying a priceless guitar borrowed from a museum is part of that movie.
It has nothing to do with whether it was a good movie or not. And there are thousands and thousands of old Martin guitars out there. They're not "priceless', you can buy one very easily. I don't think the music is going to die because that one got broke.

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
Bruce Lee is regarded as many as being more of a fictional story than a real martial arts badass. Why the weird defense of him? He’s just a dude who was a martial artist and an actor.

I’m not trying to malign him either, he’s cool, and seemed like a nice guy. Just a lot of smoke and mirrors around his mystique.

It comes off a little strange you’re saying Bruce Lee…who died…and his son died…and the movie didn’t come out in China…and? Who cares? Are you Chinese?

Last edited:

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Bruce Lee is regarded as many as being more of a fictional story than a real martial arts badass. Why the weird defense of him? He’s just a dude who was a martial artist and an actor.

I’m not trying to malign him either, he’s cool, and seemed like a nice guy. Just a lot of smoke and mirrors around his mystique.
Yeah, I saw someone ask Chuck Norris who would win in a fight between him and Bruce Lee and he tried to be polite but he basically said Bruce Lee was a movie actor and not a real martial arts expert. Norris was a legit martial arts champion before he got into the movies and he has (according to Wikipedia) a 10th degree black belt in Chun Kuk Do, a 9th degree black belt in Tang Soo Do, an 8th degree black belt in Taekwondo, a 5th degree black belt in Karate, a 3rd degree black belt in Brazilian jiu-jitsu from the Machado family, and a black belt in Judo.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
It has nothing to do with whether it was a good movie or not. And there are thousands and thousands of old Martin guitars out there. They're not "priceless', you can buy one very easily. I don't think the music is going to die because that one got broke.

I'll alert the museum that there are thousands and thousands of 1800s era Martins out there and they can be very easily bought. They seemed pretty unhappy about the whole thing but this should smooth things over.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Maligning real person Bruce Lee who died too young whose son died from an accident filming a movie so you can make Cliff Brad Pitt Booth, The Coolest Man on the Planet, even more cool in your movie was real stupid. It barred the film from getting a release in China and he never even bothered to talk to Bruce's daughter about him.

I did my dissertation on Bruce Lee and I'm sat next to a Way of the Dragon framed poster right now with two other framed pictures of him at the corner of my peripheral vision.

But in the context of Bruce Lee vs a fictional character - you can write the fictional character to be as strong or as weak as you want. It's not a question of "nobody could beat Bruce Lee" - you could write a clone of Bruce Lee and say the clone decided to continue training and developing JKD instead of going to Hollywood, so that clone would be > Bruce Lee.

The only question mark over the portrayal is not the movie power scale, but whether the real Bruce Lee was arrogant and cocky on set/back stage as portrayed in the movie - and all the evidence suggests no

Yeah, I saw someone ask Chuck Norris who would win in a fight between him and Bruce Lee and he tried to be polite but he basically said Bruce Lee was a movie actor and not a real martial arts expert.

Seems unlikely considering they were contemporaries and trained together

• 1Garbage

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
Seems unlikely considering they were contemporaries and trained together
I tried to find the article but couldn't. I'm not a martial arts fan or a kung Fu movie fan, so I don't have a dog in the fight between Chuck and Bruce, I was just repeating what I remembered reading somewhere.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I tried to find the article but couldn't. I'm not a martial arts fan or a kung Fu movie fan, so I don't have a dog in the fight between Chuck and Bruce, I was just repeating what I remembered reading somewhere.

It's nonsense, even putting aside their relationship/friendship. Bruce Lee had his own martial arts schools with multiple branches and trained the likes of Dan Inosanto etc. It was through one of his students that he got the Green Hornet job - he was a martial artist before he was an (adult) actor.

• 1Salty

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
I'll alert the museum that there are thousands and thousands of 1800s era Martins out there and they can be very easily bought. They seemed pretty unhappy about the whole thing but this should smooth things over.

Send them this link:

30 years older than the one they lost and apparently in good condition for $12,000. More than I would spend on a guitar but hardly "priceless" and barely a line item in a Tarantino movie budget.

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Send them this link:

30 years older than the one they lost and apparently in good condition for $12,000. More than I would spend on a guitar but hardly "priceless" and barely a line item in a Tarantino movie budget.

I gave them a call and they said it was more like this

but then you have to consider we're talking about an auction from 15 years ago. I agree though that he definitely should have bought his own rather than borrowing one from a museum to trash.

Last edited:
  • 1Like