Once Upon a Time in Hollywood (2019)

spronk

FPS noob
Looks like Disney is getting its vengeance on Tarantino for his "feud" (is it really tho) with them. Once Upon a Time is releasing a week after Lion King, and all the best screens around me are gonna be still showing Lion King.

I'll still see OUAT in theaters but it woulda been cool in IMAX or Dolby.

Tarantino also getting heat from the usual woke crowd about how Margot Robbie (Sharon Tate) apparently doesn't have many lines, lol

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I had to look that shit up. Turns out, there have been like 4 or 5. One starring Matt Smith.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I had to look that shit up. Turns out, there have been like 4 or 5. One starring Matt Smith.
well that was a long time ago. May of this year! not even 2 months ago
MV5BNTkzZmFmYWItYTMyMi00OGU1LWEyNmYtOWYyNDQ3ZWQ4MjBhXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNjIwNDI1Mg@@._V1_.jpg

Details

Official Sites:
Official site

USA

Language:
English

Release Date:
17 May 2019 (USA) See more »

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Bro that fucking movie has made like 40 bucks at the box office, no one has heard of it. Tarantino's been planning this movie at least since he released Django.

dizzie

Triggered Happy
There was also a TV series 2-3 years back with David Duchovny in it. Aquarius - I think it flopped, I only ever bothered to watch a couple of episodes myself and couldn't get into it.

But yeah Manson's been done to death. I'm not sure why really, he seems pretty boring as a subject to be honest. My folks said that the Tate/LaBianca murders were massive at the time cause of Polanski and the fact that they were brutal as hell, even though we lived in the UK it was worldwide news I guess.

As far as killers and cult leaders go there's more interesting stuff out there.

Derkon

Trakanon Raider
Yeah I know when I told my parents that this was a semi Manson movie they kind of gasped and thought it was tasteless or something. They would have been 18-19 at the time, guess it was a pretty big deal?

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Yeah my parents were both 18 at the time. I think it was such a huge deal as it was the 60s and it was all hippies and stoners and counterculture etc and Manson was part of that.

Polanski was really famous at the time - Rosemary's Baby came out in 68 and that was a worldwide hit and snatched a couple of oscars.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Just saw

As someone who read Helter Skelter...

The ending is lololol

joz123

Potato del Grande
True story. My mom almost got roped into the Manson gang. She used to go horseback riding around where they used to hang out.

spronk

FPS noob
Just got back. Movie is fucking long, clocking in at 2h40m. Not really a whole lot happens in the first two hours, if you don't worship Hollywood its mostly just goofy and uninteresting. Some nice recreations of that time period but nothing we haven't seen a bazillion times already, its Tarantino going hard at worshipping Hollywood. There is a great Bruce Lee scene but unfortunately its like 4 minutes and thats it, no more.

The last 30 minutes though is fantastic and worth a watch for any Tarantino fan. I'd still rate this probably bottom tier in my Tarantino list. The movie has very little to do with Charles Manson or Sharon Tate or Roman Polanski, its mostly Brad Pitt and Leonardo Dicaprio. Brad Pitt comes off as the real gem of the movie. him and Brandy.

re: ending
Up until the Manson crew started walking up the hill I didn't even think about "oh yeah, this is a Tarantino movie... he's gonna rewrite history". It was pretty awesome though and Brandy the dog is FUCKING AWESOME. Yeah, kill those goddamn hippies!!!

I know this movie is Tarantino's aesthetic and fine, but I really didn't give a shit at all about Dicaprio's character and the fact that we saw so little of Tate or Polanski was a bummer. Brad Pitt basically saved the movie.

spronk

FPS noob
honestly had no idea she was in the movie, oh wait she was probably one of the manson chicks right? gross and weird but not much in the movie

the movie does give off a "hippies are dirty, fucking stupid, and woke" i wonder how critics will take that

there's also no black people at all in the movie (one hot playboy bunny), a few mexicans playing mexicans in old westerns

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
honestly had no idea she was in the movie, oh wait she was probably one of the manson chicks right? gross and weird but not much in the movie

the movie does give off a "hippies are dirty, fucking stupid, and woke" i wonder how critics will take that

there's also no black people at all in the movie (one hot playboy bunny), a few mexicans playing mexicans in old westerns
no Samuel L Jackson cameo? not even to play the black panther member that charlie killed?