Onward (2020)

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
As was forseen...

But why announce the Disney+ release now? Who the hell is not just waiting until April 3rd?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
As was forseen...

But why announce the Disney+ release now? Who the hell is not just waiting until April 3rd?
because as the star wars thread has shown. there are people who will not wait for one second to watch a new release of certain properties. plus its friday and the wife is glaring at you.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
Tried to get this earlier then realized...5 pacific. So at 8 eastern I got this. It was pretty good, not GREAT like most Pixar movies. Was good though.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
It was decent. I feel large parts of the plot were telegraphed a bit much, but that was okay. Loads of little Easter eggs hidden in the background.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
it was ok, not very good, it had some good moments.
if the dad was a wizard with an uber gem, why he die?
this is definitely on par with Brave and Last Dinosaur. it didnt feel very Pixar at all.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Premise of movie : Being a wizard is hard so we started using electricity and gas.

Protagonist: Goes from level 1 to level 18 and is able to reshape reality in a single day.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Premise of movie : Being a wizard is hard so we started using electricity and gas.

Protagonist: Goes from level 1 to level 18 and is able to reshape reality in a single day.
i was getting a harry potter vibe for a bit because Harry always lucked and feeled his way into incredibly advanced magic, but was still a scrub. this movie didnt go that way.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
There also seemed to be a side plot about the magical creatures restoring themselves after being exposed to the magic staff. This wasn't fully developed though and I'm not sure if it was something that was meant to bigger and got cut down or what.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
My kids (6 and 4) did not make it through this before wanting to turn something else on.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
There also seemed to be a side plot about the magical creatures restoring themselves after being exposed to the magic staff. This wasn't fully developed though and I'm not sure if it was something that was meant to bigger and got cut down or what.
the older brother seemed to have an ability to unlock magic in other races, but the younger bro and the mom helped unlock The Manticore's powers too. maybe when the older bro unlocked their potential it gave them the ability to do the same for others. the movie did feel like it was missing some scenes, like they shorted the worldbuilding in the beginning quite obviously.

taebin

Same trailer, different park
My kids (6 and 4) did not make it through this before wanting to turn something else on.

My kids (6 and 3) made it through last night without issue. 6 year old has rewatched it twice today. 3 year old would rather watch Daniel Tiger.

spronk

FPS noob

There was also a bit about how some people had no magic or sucked at it so electricity was better for them, but yeah it was handled very poorly. The core idea is great, what if magic was real but technology was "better", but someone came up with a terrible story out of that core idea so the movie was fucked from the start. You can see a million better story ideas from the seed idea, but sadly there was no talent there.

The crazy thing is you can't blame the usual SJW crowd, the 3 writers are all 3 bald white guys. They should have added Larry David as a writer

GuardianX

Perpetually Pessimistic
<Bronze Donator>
I found this to be on par with the OG Toy Story, a pretty good kids movie. I put this square in the middle / upper middle of the pixar pack, very entertaining, emotional and contains a great / inspirational message combined with great characters that don't constantly display ego driven goals.

My wife had tears running down her face at the tear-jerker scene, it hit home with us having 2 boys roughly the age difference of the kids.

My 5 year old liked the movie from the fantasy and magic aspect and stayed engaged the whole movie.

I didn't notice the SJW stuff much but I guess it was there with the Cyclopes, I really don't mind that stuff if it isn't totally forced and is more organic in nature. The only complaint I have, in general with these types of movies is the fact that men are typically bumbling idiots. The saving grace on this one is it really pushes the idea of brotherhood and maintaining strong familial bonds.

The issues that you all notice I just chalk up to it being a unrealistic in nature. Realism isn't something Pixar is known for, we have had Animated (posessed) toys, an energy company run by monsters who appear from your closet, talking sports cars from nascar, a old man that flew his 2 story home to south america via baloons, a gimp finned fish that makes friends with predator fish and birds, a girl that loses her emotional states, and a boy that dies...crosses over...and returns to life.

Animation wise GOOD LORD this movie was BEAUTIFUL. The physical locations and props were stunningly well done honestly they had me in awe a couple times. Characters always fall short but the styleized aspect of the characters should allow for some legs before the movie looks dated.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
There was also a bit about how some people had no magic or sucked at it so electricity was better for them, but yeah it was handled very poorly. The core idea is great, what if magic was real but technology was "better", but someone came up with a terrible story out of that core idea so the movie was fucked from the start. You can see a million better story ideas from the seed idea, but sadly there was no talent there.

The crazy thing is you can't blame the usual SJW crowd, the 3 writers are all 3 bald white guys. They should have added Larry David as a writer
That explains why the dad looked like a cuck neckbeard from Seattle.

i swear every 3 men on Twitter look just like this.
1585037464326.jpeg