Oppenheimer (2023)

Kaines

Potato Supreme
If you read the article, you'd know that the meeting to discuss unconditional surrender happened before they had knowledge of Nagasaki bombing, so Nagasaki (and therefore possible quantity of bombs) was irrelevant in consideration of surrender.

This actually reinforces my argument that the 2nd attack would be considered completely unnecessary by Americans and Japanese today if they were told why Japan really surrendered.
You don't fight wars in hindsight. The American generals and Truman had no idea the Japanese were meeting to discuss whether they should surrender.

Even if your position on why a Japan surrendered is true, the Japanese sis not disclose their intentions until after the second bomb landed. The 2nd bomb was still necessary in the eyes of the people fighting the war at the time the decision was made to drop it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
You don't fight wars in hindsight. The American generals and Truman had no idea the Japanese were meeting to discuss whether they should surrender.

Why didnt they at least wait a few days after Russia rolled into Manchuria before dropping the 2nd bomb?

Even if your position on why a Japan surrendered is true, the Japanese sis not disclose their intentions until after the second bomb landed. The 2nd bomb was still necessary in the eyes of the people fighting the war at the time the decision was made to drop it.

That's nice, but I dont think the Japanese people or American leftists would be satisfied with that explanation, especially if they were ever told why Japan really surrendered.

• 1Garbage
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 1 users

Kaines

Potato Supreme
Why didnt they at least wait a few days after Russia rolled into Manchuria before dropping the 2nd bomb?
They waited 3 days between drops. More than enough time for Japan to surrender if they were going to after the first.

That's nice, but I dont think the Japanese people or American leftists would be satisfied with that explanation, especially if they were ever told why Japan really surrendered.
Facts over feelings.

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
They waited 3 days between drops. More than enough time for Japan to surrender if they were going to after the first.

But I didnt ask about the first bombing. I asked why they didnt wait a few days after Russia invaded Manchuria. Surely the Americans knew that Russia declared war on Japan on August 8th, before dropping the 2nd bomb on August 9?

Facts over feelings.

Thats nice but that is an absolute minority here and in Japan. Which is why the true reason for Japanese surrender will never be acknowledged, nor given credit to Russia

• 1Garbage
  • 1Pathetic

Cybsled

Lefitsts? LOL. Pretty sure this is a bipartisan view, unless you're automatically lumping the right into fully embracing the Russia post-WW2 propaganda pushes of trying to make themselves the most important element in WW2 in every single theater of war.

Was the Eastern European front in WW2 important? Of course. But lets not ignore the fact that it probably would have collapsed if the US had not been feeding them probably the largest wartime aid package in the history of mankind.

• 1Like

Kaines

Potato Supreme
But I didnt ask about the first bombing. I asked why they didnt wait a few days after Russia invaded Manchuria. Surely the Americans knew that Russia declared war on Japan on August 8th, before dropping the 2nd bomb on August 9?
Youre still fighting the war in hindsight.

The invasion of Manchuria was the straw that broke the camel's back. But the massive haystack that was already on the camel was put there by the Americans. And the invasion of Manchuria was seen as a far less significant event at the time than all the fire bombings and the dropping of the first bomb on the home islands.

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Lefitsts? LOL. Pretty sure this is a bipartisan view, unless you're automatically lumping the right into fully embracing the Russia post-WW2 propaganda pushes of trying to make themselves the most important element in WW2 in every single theater of war.

Well they were the most important element of the European theater (the most important theater) by far and it wasnt even close. And later on we are finding out that Japan surrendered because of Russian attack on Japan, not because of an A-bomb US dropped.

So now that is considered post-WW2 "propaganda"?

I guess US/Japan would never even have to bother acknowledging Russian contribution to Pacific theater. Present actual evidence to the natives, and they are still too stupid and too bitter to believe it anyways.

Was the Eastern European front in WW2 important? Of course. But lets not ignore the fact that it probably would have collapsed if the US had not been feeding them probably the largest wartime aid package in the history of mankind.

LMAO. Largest wartime package in history of mankind went to Ukraine in past 2 years. Anything US sent to Russia during WW2 was when Russians were already winning. Go look at Lendlease delivery manifests by year. Majority of it arrives in 44-45.

They got you brainwashed good.

• 2Like
  • 1Garbage
Reactions: 2 users

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Youre still fighting the war in hindsight.

The invasion of Manchuria was the straw that broke the camel's back. But the massive haystack that was already on the camel was put there by the Americans. And the invasion of Manchuria was seen as a far less significant event than all the fire bombings and the dropping of the first bomb on the home islands.

You're still dodging the question. Why didnt US wait a few days to see the Japanese response after Russia entered the war against Japan? Isn't that kind of a monumental event for the Pacific Theater?

• 1Garbage

Kaines

Potato Supreme
You're still dodging the question. Why didnt US wait a few days to see the Japanese response after Russia entered the war against Japan? Isn't that kind of a monumental event for the Pacific Theater?
I already answered that.

Cybsled

LMAO. Largest wartime package in history of mankind went to Ukraine in past 2 years. Anything US sent to Russia during WW2 was when Russians were already winning. Go look at Lendlease delivery manifests by year. Majority of it arrives in 44-45.

Yes, let's directly compare dollars in the 1940s to today. Adjusted for inflation, the WW2 Russian Lend-Lease was over 180 BILLION dollars. The US gave them close to half a million vehicles of various types. It isn't even in the same ballpark.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
Yes, let's directly compare dollars in the 1940s to today. Adjusted for inflation, the WW2 Russian Lend-Lease was over 180 BILLION dollars. The US gave them close to half a million vehicles of various types. It isn't even in the same ballpark.

I'm glad you adjusted for inflation because Ukraine has received more than 200 billion dollars of aid in less than 2 years. Or should I say, I'm glad you went to an American Embassy site for Russia and copied the number from there. https://ru.usembassy.gov/world-war-ii-allies-u-s-lend-lease-to-the-soviet-union-1941-1945/

I'm sure that an American Embassy site for Russia in 2023 is completely unbiased and truthful in respect to Russia, which makes it so puzzling why they didnt break this number out by year, or compared it to other countries, to provide relevant context.

Dont worry, I can help with that.

To reiterate, most of that aid that Russia received came after Russia had already won at Stalingrad and at Kursk, making German defeat a certainty and the aid less important

1690900768881.png

More than half of the aid (56.5%) came in 1944-45 when Russia had effectively won the war.

Another 27% came in 1943 when the scales had already tiled in Russian favor after Stalingrad.

16% of aid comes in 1941-1942 when it was uncertain who would win the war. The idea that Russia would have perished without an extra couple hundred thousands tons of food or trucks is pure fantasy concocted by the West to inflate its contribution to European theater.

Now lets look at Lendlease contributions in relation to other allies.

1690901177784.png

Oh wow, if Lendlease aid is all it took to win the war, why didnt the UK, who received almost 3x the aid compared to USSR, just storm out of the Isles and rampaged across Europe to Berlin? Britain got more tanks and vehicles than USSR for a war that UK barely even fought on land.

• 1Garbage

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
When I saw this thread was 24 pages long I should have known Araysar was in here flogging his Russia shtick again.

• 4Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

Loser Araysar

<Gold Donor>
When I saw this thread was 24 pages long I should have known Araysar was in here flogging his Russia shtick again.

just talkin nukes bro

did the movie mention Russia?

• 1Garbage

Jive Turkey

Karen
You can't compare casualty rates in Tokyo and Hiroshima in 1945 without mentioning their populations. It wasn't even close

• 1Like

Rajaah

Honorable Member
<Gold Donor>
Unconditional surrender (what the Allies were demanding) was a bitter pill to swallow. The United States and Great Britain were already convening war crimes trials in Europe. What if they decided to put the emperor—who was believed to be divine—on trial? What if they got rid of the emperor and changed the form of government entirely? Even though the situation was bad in the summer of 1945, the leaders of Japan were not willing to consider giving up their traditions, their beliefs, or their way of life. Until Aug. 9. What could have happened that caused them to so suddenly and decisively change their minds? What made them sit down to seriously discuss surrender for the first time after 14 years of war?

It could not have been Nagasaki. The bombing of Nagasaki occurred in the late morning of Aug. 9, after the Supreme Council had already begun meeting to discuss surrender, and word of the bombing only reached Japan’s leaders in the early afternoon—after the meeting of the Supreme Council had been adjourned in deadlock and the full cabinet had been called to take up the discussion. Based on timing alone, Nagasaki can’t have been what motivated them.

Hiroshima isn’t a very good candidate either. It came 74 hours—more than three days—earlier. What kind of crisis takes three days to unfold? The hallmark of a crisis is a sense of impending disaster and the overwhelming desire to take action now. How could Japan’s leaders have felt that Hiroshima touched off a crisis and yet not meet to talk about the problem for three days?

This article is a good summary of all the problems with the "atomic bomb forced Japanese surrender" premise.

Here's another excerpt that talks about the destructive power being a non factor.

We often imagine, because of the way the story is told, that the bombing of Hiroshima was far worse. We imagine that the number of people killed was off the charts. But if you graph the number of people killed in all 68 cities bombed in the summer of 1945, you find that Hiroshima was second in terms of civilian deaths. If you chart the number of square miles destroyed, you find that Hiroshima was fourth. If you chart the percentage of the city destroyed, Hiroshima was 17th. Hiroshima was clearly within the parameters of the conventional attacks carried out that summer.

From our perspective, Hiroshima seems singular, extraordinary. But if you put yourself in the shoes of Japan’s leaders in the three weeks leading up to the attack on Hiroshima, the picture is considerably different. If you were one of the key members of Japan’s government in late July and early August, your experience of city bombing would have been something like this: On the morning of July 17, you would have been greeted by reports that during the night four cities had been attacked: Oita, Hiratsuka, Numazu, and Kuwana. Of these, Oita and Hiratsuka were more than 50 percent destroyed. Kuwana was more than 75 percent destroyed and Numazu was hit even more severely, with something like 90 percent of the city burned to the ground.

Three days later you have woken to find that three more cities had been attacked. Fukui was more than 80 percent destroyed. A week later and three more cities have been attacked during the night. Two days later and six more cities were attacked in one night, including Ichinomiya, which was 75 percent destroyed.

The one thing that is almost never talked about is that its politically difficult to go against the established narrative because you would have to acknowledge that the 1st bombing was unnecessary. And even if you argue that it was because US had no idea that Russia was invading or what Japanese intentions were, you're still faced with defending the 2nd bombing which was absolutely unnecessary as Russia had invaded Manchuria the day before. Its self-explanatory why US can never acknowledge this truth, but Japanese leaders can't acknowledge it either as they became willing US patsies in the postwar years.

View attachment 484677

I've always been told that Japan had to be nuked solely because "they were willing to fight to the last man".

I fully believe they were going to surrender once Russia was in Manchuria, after seeing what Russia did to Germany once troops crossed into it. Japan was in for a world of pain if Russia crossed their borders.

It's hard to make that argument though when half their politicians and most of their military brass really did want to fight to the end though.

At the end of the day I would say that if they weren't nuked, a surrender was on the way that very week, but I can't say that 100%. I also think the US wanted to test their new weapon no matter what happened and with how much anti-Asian sentiment there was in the US, Japan was a prime target to light up.

Which is why the true reason for Japanese surrender will never be acknowledged, nor given credit to Russia

Russia has never gotten any credit for WW2 and it's pretty fucked up considering they sacrificed 30,000,000 people holding off the Nazis while the United States sat around with its thumb up its ass waiting to see who'd pull ahead before they got militarily involved. If it came down to it I think most of the US government would have rather seen the Nazis win than the Commies. Germany engaging GBR put the US in a bad spot though where they kinda had to do something eventually.

Japanese had their own nuclear weapons program

That reminds me, in the Oppenheimer trailer, it said something about developing the bomb before the Nazis did, or that the Nazis were working on it too.

I was under the impression that Hitler basically cancelled their nuclear weapons program (which didn't get very far anyway) because he didn't want to irradiate/poison the land they needed for lebensraum. So this wasn't even a real threat and was debatably another Hitler mistake, like war on two fronts, rejecting the USSR's attempt to join the Axis, moving troops away from the eastern front despite generals telling him not to, etc etc etc because his brain was so addled by all the fucking morphine.

Tangent: If Germany had bided its time and started WW2 in 1949 instead of 1939, they would have probably run over everyone (except the USSR) at the rate they were progressing technologically. Keeping the USSR and possibly US as allies and just taking over Europe/Middle-East etc would have also worked out more in their favor. GBR and USSR were probably the two other strongest countries in the world circa 1939 and that's who they picked a two-front fight with?

Back to the point, surprised if the movie portrays this as a race with the Nazis when that wasn't the case, unless I completely misunderstood "Hitler cancelled their program" all these years. Also as I understand it, not only did their program not get that far, but even if it had continued it would have ended up producing something more akin to a "Dirty Bomb", very different from what we eventually produced.

• 1Pathetic

Kaines

Potato Supreme
I've always been told that Japan had to be nuked solely because "they were willing to fight to the last man".

I fully believe they were going to surrender once Russia was in Manchuria, after seeing what Russia did to Germany once troops crossed into it. Japan was in for a world of pain if Russia crossed their borders.

It's hard to make that argument though when half their politicians and most of their military brass really did want to fight to the end though.

At the end of the day I would say that if they weren't nuked, a surrender was on the way that very week, but I can't say that 100%. I also think the US wanted to test their new weapon no matter what happened and with how much anti-Asian sentiment there was in the US, Japan was a prime target to light up.

Russia has never gotten any credit for WW2 and it's pretty fucked up considering they sacrificed 30,000,000 people holding off the Nazis while the United States sat around with its thumb up its ass waiting to see who'd pull ahead before they got militarily involved. If it came down to it I think most of the US government would have rather seen the Nazis win than the Commies. Germany engaging GBR put the US in a bad spot though where they kinda had to do something eventually.

That reminds me, in the Oppenheimer trailer, it said something about developing the bomb before the Nazis did, or that the Nazis were working on it too.

I was under the impression that Hitler basically cancelled their nuclear weapons program (which didn't get very far anyway) because he didn't want to irradiate/poison the land they needed for lebensraum. So this wasn't even a real threat and was debatably another Hitler mistake, like war on two fronts, rejecting the USSR's attempt to join the Axis, moving troops away from the eastern front despite generals telling him not to, etc etc etc because his brain was so addled by all the fucking morphine.

Tangent: If Germany had bided its time and started WW2 in 1949 instead of 1939, they would have probably run over everyone (except the USSR) at the rate they were progressing technologically. Keeping the USSR and possibly US as allies and just taking over Europe/Middle-East etc would have also worked out more in their favor. GBR and USSR were probably the two other strongest countries in the world circa 1939 and that's who they picked a two-front fight with?

Back to the point, surprised if the movie portrays this as a race with the Nazis when that wasn't the case, unless I completely misunderstood "Hitler cancelled their program" all these years. Also as I understand it, not only did their program not get that far, but even if it had continued it would have ended up producing something more akin to a "Dirty Bomb", very different from what we eventually produced.
Hitler ignored a lot of good advice from his generals and advisors.

For instance, Ribbentrop advised Hitler AGAINST declaring war with the US in the event that Japan attacked the US. Because the Tripartite Agreement was purely a defensive pact. Hitler ignored this advice and gave Japan assurances that Germany would join them if they attacked the US.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Back to the point, surprised if the movie portrays this as a race with the Nazis when that wasn't the case, unless I completely misunderstood "Hitler cancelled their program" all these years.
Did the US know Germany had given up on their nuclear program at the time the US bomb was being developed? I didn't think they had an idea until near the very end of the war. For the movie's timeline it seems reasonable to think they were up in a race against the Nazis for most of that time. I mean, Germany discovered fission and set off the panic in the first place.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
I was under the impression that Hitler basically cancelled their nuclear weapons program

I read up[ about it after the movie, or at least watched a few youtube vids.

The Germans didn't fund their program like the yanks did Los Alamos. Nor did they benefit from a remote location, their facilities were bombing targets. There was a facility in Norway targeted by special forces I think. There's also the idea that the scientists intentionally sabotaged the program from within

• 1Pathetic