Oppenheimer (2023)

Jive Turkey

Karen
Just got back. Loved it. Minor-ish gripe:

I really wish they went the CG route with the trinity explosion. It looked great for an explosion in general, but didn't give me the scope and intensity of a real nuclear detonation. It looked like a petrol explosion to me. Needed to be rounder and juts larger overall. The scene itself was awesome, but I think I was expecting more from the explosion

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
F1mCYFBX0AMBVod.jpeg

• 5Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Just got back. Loved it. Minor-ish gripe:

I really wish they went the CG route with the trinity explosion. It looked great for an explosion in general, but didn't give me the scope and intensity of a real nuclear detonation. It looked like a petrol explosion to me. Needed to be rounder and juts larger overall. The scene itself was awesome, but I think I was expecting more from the explosion
actual trinity test.

• 8Like
  • 2Mother of God
Reactions: 9 users

Tsar Bomba

Molten Core Raider
They should've used this footage to build a perfect reconstruction in CG.
No… just use the real thing. Peter Kuran has excellent footage of it they could license. Haven’t seen the film but I wouldn’t be surprised if they used some. In the 1950s when they were doing tests they shot nuclear explosions in virtually every format. There’s even some Cinemescope footage of some of the tests.

Last edited:

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Given how it's portrayed, would have been difficult to mesh existing test footage with everything in this movie, how it goes w/ how we see the world through Oppenheimer's eyes, etc.

I agree that it felt like a lesser explosion because of Nolan's methods and relying on minimal FX work, but doesn't significantly detract from the movie or the moment IMO.

To me the issue w/ the Trinity test was kind of like what you see in some water + miniatures shots, it just didn't feel at the right scale for some parts of the sequence. That was my initial impression anyways, it was still all really fantastic and I'm looking forward to seeing it again when it releases digitally.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
and closeted gay men who went to see a movie about it.
Says the soy boy with a huge faggy hat collection who's too much of a simp cuck to tell his girlfriend that he can wear them if he wants.

You just keep letting other people do the thinking for you, that seems to be your strength.

• 3Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Great Review
Reactions: 4 users

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler

man of science still beaten by a gay doll
A 3-hour R rated adult drama without action making this much money in a weekend is almost unprecedented, even with the Nolan name recognition. It's honestly more remarkable than Barbie's opening.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Says the soy boy with a huge faggy hat collection who's too much of a simp cuck to tell his girlfriend that he can wear them if he wants.

You just keep letting other people do the thinking for you, that seems to be your strength.
the hat vacation ended in July. im not going hatless in the hot sun.

Chersk

Trakanon Raider
Just got back. I thought it was too long and disjointed with the flashback shit. 6/10 sounds right to me.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Kais

<Gold Donor>
They covered an incredible amount of material in 3 hours. Hell, it could have been an hour longer easily though it's not like a single scene suffered for being cut short or anything. Fast paced despite not having an action sequence. Fantastic performances all around.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Porkchop

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Bronze Donator>
Wow what a ride. Saw it in 70mm and the visuals and audio were unforgettable. It didn’t feel long to me, especially with the build up in the 3rd act. The only small gripe I had was the casing of Matt Damon. His character was almost comical at times which seemed odd for a army general