Origin

ShakyJake

<Donor>
5.00 star(s) Rating: 5.00/5 1 Vote
Title: Origin

Genre: Sci-Fi & Fantasy

First aired: 2018-11-14

Creator: Mika Watkins

Cast: Tom Felton, Natalia Tena, Nora Arnezeder, Sen Mitsuji, Philipp Christopher, Siobhán Cullen, Fraser James, Madalyn Horcher, Adelayo Adedayo

Overview: A group of troubled passengers wake up on a damaged spaceship abandoned in deep space, each having left behind a dark past in search of a fresh start on a newly colonized planet. As their terrifying situation spirals into paranoia, they come to realize that the greatest threat to their dream of starting over – and indeed their lives – is something far darker than the pasts they were so desperate to escape.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Did anyone watch this? Came out back in November '18. I hadn't heard of it until recently when I saw it in a YouTube recommendation.

The first episode was pretty decent. Very good atmosphere. Space scenes feel like Event Horizon and the Earth flashbacks like Bladerunner. Also, didn't detect any SJW nonsense.

• 2Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
First episode was decent. I liked how Shun was the voice of reason, although briefly. Herp derp this ship is empty and this is the only door that's been intentionally sealed from the outside also blood leads to it and this gun we found has expended several rounds. Also this bitch on the ground is half dead. Let's not open it okay?

Dumb bitch: "someone said they needed help in there though!"
Shun: "oh... well in that case."

The ship behaving like a tower inside although being built with rings to show how it would generate artificial gravity rustles my fucking jimmies. Because it makes zero fucking sense. The central elevator should function more like a tram than an elevator complete with an absurdly dramatic shaft to fall down and die on.

The flashbacks to future Earth are actually more interesting to me and I will watch more just for that.

• 2Like

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Never heard of it, will watch tonight. Sounds somewhat like the Nightlfyers show that came out about the same time. Did any of you watch that one?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ShakyJake

<Donor>
The flashbacks to future Earth are actually more interesting to me and I will watch more just for that.
Yes, I'm digging the Bladerunner-esque Tokyo.

Never heard of it, will watch tonight. Sounds somewhat like the Nightlfyers show that came out about the same time. Did any of you watch that one?
I did and yes it's similar in a way. Creepy atmosphere and all.

• 1Like

SorrowsEnd

Trakanon Raider
Tore through this when I picked up a youtube trial to watch Cobra Kai.

Much better than Nightflyers. Some of it gets a bit absurd but not a bad sci-fi romp.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Lana is such a stupid fucking bitch. Holy shit I can't stand her. After her dramatic idiocy with Taylor... tell me again why Shun listens to a single word she says?

Pro tip. If you encounter a bunch of weird shit you don't understand involving crazy spasming bodies and a bunch of people accusing each other. Kill all of them, seal the doors and never speak of it again.

• 4Solidarity
  • 1Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

Raes

Vyemm Raider
There's some silly shit, and a lot of it is typical generic shit for this type of plot, but it's got pretty fucking decent production value and nice pacing. I'm enjoying it. It's a good binge, thanks for the info.

• 1Like

velk

Trakanon Raider
Lana is such a stupid fucking bitch. Holy shit I can't stand her. After her dramatic idiocy with Taylor... tell me again why Shun listens to a single word she says?

This is absolutely true - Shun is a lackey, not a leader though, so ingrained habit of doing what he's told makes it plausible I guess.

• 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
production value is nice. Only watched E1 so far. It seems very much like it falls into the trope of "stupid people do stupid things and plot happens". Which I can forgive, I guess, since it's basically a prison ship.

But it looks nice. Shun carries the entire episode. Pretty sure Lana is the woman from GoT isn't she, Bran's wildling nurse? I'm surprised that her acting is as bad as it is. She's really very stilted.

Of course all of them except Shun are... so maybe that's the vibe that the director was going for for some reason. He sure likes his jump scares... so bad quality horror acting probably WAS a choice.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
They made the impact incident quite interesting. That and I didn't realize the ship even had FTL since everyone was in Cryosleep (cryo pods ejecting into a 6 foot drop onto metal grates is hardcore btw). The flashbacks are really the strength of the show. Not sure how intentional it was but the entire asteroid impact scene was framed as a they/vs us kind of situation.

So there's body snatching aliens that siren knew about (guns on the ship) AND they had biomechanical technology or something since they were able to target the location where the ship dropped from FTL. Thea ain't all sunny beaches and rainbows son!

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
Binged this all yesterday and am on board with most people. For a pretty generic concept it is well’ish done on the back of some good production value and flashback sequences for the characters. Couldn’t help but pity the writers though, these scenarios almost require you to write stupid characters just so there’s some conflict and getting the rest of the group in trouble. But hey, not bad overall.

Actually made me check out the other YouTube show Impulse, which I’m four episodes through and is perfectly mediocre as well. Just need some filler shows.

• 2Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I watched up to eps 5, so far all the non white ppl are trying so hard to survive and the white ppl just keep on fucking everything up.

Let the jap be a sheriff, NOPE lana gonna fuck it up w/ her decisions that never go correctly

Let aspie black girl do her computer thing, NOPE lets have the 2 low intelligence white boys fuck up the only navigator

Let the black doc figure this alien shit out, NOPE all the bitches are against him at every turn

• 2Like

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
First episode was legitimately great. Looking forward to watching #2 tonight.

• 2Like

SorrowsEnd

Trakanon Raider
I don't want to talk about the later episodes since folks are still working through the show.

So I will just say this: Near the end you get some really good flashback explanations of shit going wrong on the ship.

• 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
WE'RE NOT ALWAYS SMART, OK? ESPECIALLY NOT IN HORROR SITUATIONS!

Those witch fingers give me doubts, tho. If you were any good you d bleed to death.

• 1Like

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
Show should be called Origin (of jump scares)

• 1Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users
TV show information provided by The Movie Database