Oscars 2015

Juvarisx

Florida
Really hope Boyhood doesn't win everything, Birdman was a way better movie.

Nominations

Best Picture
?Birdman?
?Boyhood?
?Selma?
?The Theory of Everything?
?The Imitation Game?
?The Grand Budapest Hotel?
?American Sniper?
?Whiplash?

Actress in a Leading Role
Julianne Moore, ?Still Alice?
Felicity Jones, ?The Theory of Everything?
Rosamund Pike, ?Gone Girl?
Reese Witherspoon, ?Wild?
Marion Cotillard, ?Two Days One Night?

Actor in a Leading Role
Michael Keaton, ?Birdman?
Eddie Redmayne, ?The Theory of Everything?
Benedict Cumberbatch, ?The Imitation Game?
Steve Carell, ?Foxcatcher?
Bradley Cooper, ?American Sniper?

Directing
Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu, ?Birdman?
Richard Linklater, ?Boyhood?
Wes Anderson, ?The Grand Budapest Hotel?
Morten Tyldum, ?The Imitation Game?
Bennett Miller, ?Foxcatcher?

Actress in a Supporting Role
Patricia Arquette, ?Boyhood?
Emma Stone, ?Birdman?
Keira Knightley, ?The Imitation Game?
Meryl Streep, ?Into the Woods?
Laura Dern, ?Wild?

Actor in a Supporting Role
J.K. Simmons, ?Whiplash?
Edward Norton, ?Birdman?
Ethan Hawke, ?Boyhood?
Mark Ruffalo, ?Foxcatcher?
Robert Duvall, ?The Judge?

Foreign Language Film
?Ida?
?Leviathan?
?Tangerines?
?Wild Tales?
?Timbuktu?

Writing ? Adapted Screenplay
Graham Moore, ?The Imitation Game?
Damien Chazelle, ?Whiplash?
Anthony McCarten, ?The Theory of Everything?
Jason Hall, ?American Sniper?
Paul Thomas Anderson, ?Inherent Vice?

Writing ? Original Screenplay
Richard Linklater, ?Boyhood?
Alejandro Gonz?lez I??rritu, Nicol?s Giacobone, Alexander Dinelaris and Armando Bo, ?Birdman?
Wes Anderson and Hugo Guinness, ?The Grand Budapest Hotel?
Dan Gilroy, ?Nightcrawler?
E. Max Frye and Dan Futterman, ?Foxcatcher?

Cinematography
Emmanuel Lubezki, ?Birdman?
Roger Deakins, ?Unbroken?
Robert D. Yeoman, ?The Grand Budapest Hotel?
Dick Pope, ?Mr. Turner?
Lukasz Zal and Ryszard Lynzewski, ?Ida?

Music ? Original Score
Hans Zimmer, ?Interstellar?
Alexandre Desplat, ?The Imitation Game?
Johann Johannsson, ?The Theory of Everything?
Alexandre Desplat, ?The Grand Budapest Hotel?
Gary Yershon, ?Mr Turner?

Makeup and Hairstyling
?Foxcatcher?
?Guardians of the Galaxy?

Costume Design
Colleen Atwood, ?Into the Woods?
Anna B. Sheppard, ?Maleficent?
Milena Canonero, ?The Grand Budapest Hotel?
Jacqueline Durran, ?Mr. Turner?
Mark Bridges, ?Inherent Vice?

Music ? Original Song
?Glory? by Common and John Legend, ?Selma?
?Lost Stars? by Gregg Alexander, Danielle Brisebois, Nick Lashley and Nick Southwood, ?Begin Again?
?Everything Is Awesome? by Shawn Patterson, ?The LEGO Movie?
?I?m Not Gonna Miss You,? by Glen Campbell, ?Glenn Campbell: I?ll Be Me?
?Grateful,? ?Beyond the lights?

Visual Effects
?Interstellar?
?Dawn of the Planet of the Apes?
?Guardians of the Galaxy?
?Captain America: Winter Soldier?
?X-Men: Days of Future Past?

Documentary Short Subject
?Crisis Hotline: Veterans Press 1?
?Joanna?
?Our Curse?
?White Earth?
?The Reaper?

Documentary Feature
?Citizenfour?
?Last Days in Vietnam?
?Virunga?
?The Salt of the Earth?
?Finding Vivian Maier?

Film Editing
Sandra Adair, ?Boyhood?
Tom Cross, ?Whiplash?
William Goldenberg, ?The Imitation Game?
Joel Cox and Gary Roach, ?American Sniper?
Barney Pilling, ?The Grand Budapest Hotel?

Sound Editing
?Interstellar?
?Unbroken?
?The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies?
?American Sniper?
?Birdman?

Sound Mixing
Mark Weingarten, ?Interstellar?
Thomas Curley, ?Whiplash?
?Unbroken?
?American Sniper?
?Birdman?

Production Design
?Into the Woods?
?Interstellar?
?The Imitation Game?
?Mr. Turner?

Short Film ? Live Action
?Boogaloo and Graham?
?Aya?
?Butterlamp?
?Parvenah?
?The Phone Call?

Short Film ? Animated
?Feast?
?The Bigger Picture?
?A Single Life?
?The Dam Keeper?
?Me and My Moulton?

Animated Feature Film
?Big Hero 6?
?How to Train Your Dragon 2?
?The Boxtrolls?
?The Tale of the Princess Kaguya?
?Song of the Sea?

ValkyrieIATD

Silver Knight of the Realm
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I'm actually excited for this year's Oscars. I liked nearly every movie up for major awards here. I'm also very, very curious to see if the Academy throws Wes Anderson some love. Grand Budapest is a crowning achievement, but it's actually one of my least favorite of his films.

And I also can't believe I'm saying this, but Emma Stone has a really, really good shot at an Oscar. That's not a particularly strong field she's up against, and she was damn good in Birdman (and so was Edward Norton, but I think J.K. Simmons has Supporting wrapped up)

Szlia

I saw 3 out of the 5 foreign language films and the fourth just got released around my parts. Ida and Leviathan are two very good movies, but Timbuktu is very poorly written.

Also the random Best Actress nomination for Cotillard in the Dardennes' brother movie is pretty surprising. She was ok in the movie, but nothing special.

HUH_sl

shitlord
No Lego movie. No Jake Gyllenhaal. Interstellar nominated for best sound mixing.

Seems about right for the Oscars.

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Lego was insanely better than HTTYD2 and easily better than BH6. Whatever, director made his own oscar I guess

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
Going to be scratching my head over the Lego snub for a while. Even if it wasn't the best animated movie of the year (which is hard for me to say since I haven't seen most of the others), it really deserved a nomination just for accomplishing what it did. It's so unlike any other animated movie to come out in recent years. I thought it'd be a no-brainer for it to get a nod, especially since there wasn't a Pixar movie this year. Just goes to show that if you want to get nominated for an Oscar, you have to release in November or later since Hollywood has the memory of a goldfish.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
This.

Though having Everything is Awesome performed live at the Oscars is going to be a sight to behold.
I saw Tegan and Sara perform it live when they opened for Katy Perry last year and it was the most seizure inducing spectacle of lights and happiness I've ever experienced. They need to put out a warning prior to the performance or some of the old farts in the audience might kick the bucket.

Homsar

Just goes to show that if you want to get nominated for an Oscar, you have to release in November or later since Hollywood has the memory of a goldfish.
Meh what about Budapest hotel, didnt that come out beginning of the year?

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
Emma Stone better win. I found her very compelling and I also really, really wanted to stick my penis inside her character for some reason. More than usual even.

Szlia

Based on what I have seen this year, the big film that is missing for these lists is Edge of Tomorrow or even Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. Both are superior to the somewhat gimmicky and ineffective Boyhood.

Also, Lego or not Lego, anything other than Kaguya would be surprising.

Homsar

Based on what I have seen this year, the big film that is missing for these lists is Edge of Tomorrow or even Dawn of the Planet of the Apes. Both are superior to the somewhat gimmicky and ineffective Boyhood.
For special affects or what ? Apes was only good for the special affects for the most part. Edge of tomorrow was great but what could you nominate it for? Screenplay? Cinematography ? Special affects weren't better than whats listed really

Szlia

For special affects or what ? Apes was only good for the special affects for the most part. Edge of tomorrow was great but what could you nominate it for? Screenplay? Cinematography ? Special affects weren't better than whats listed really
Best movie as far as I am concerned. I guess Apes suffers from not being exceptional in any way, it's just a very solid big budget movie, but in this day and age that's sadly pretty exceptional. Edge of Tomorrow is not without its flaws, but that's one of the most refreshing sci-fi action movie in years and that was unexpected.

I am ok with The Grand Budapest Hotel and Whiplash niminations, but can't say much about the other nominees as they have yet to be released around here. Also I have seen better films this year, but none that are eligible. For instance, China's 'A Touch of Sin' and 'Black Coal, Thin Ice': the first was released in the US in late 2013 and the second was in several festivals but never saw an actual release.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
So Al Sharpton is declaring a State of Emergency or something because all the actors and directors nominated are white. I can't think of any particular great performance that was snubbed however.

Lego Movie not being nominated is a real puzzle. Given that I never even heard of two of the animated films not having the top grossing animated film of the year make the list seems bizarre. Did it get disqualified because it has a couple of live action parts?

spronk

FPS noob
man i'm so mainstream the only movies i've seen are all in the best visual effects category lol

I do wanna see Birdman and Budapest though, not much interest in the rest of the movies.