Oscars 2015

Homsar

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Or you just watched it last night and have over hyped it in your own mind.

It's a decent movie but I preferred in hindsight Whiplash and Gone Girl more.
I dont know, after watching it a second time I enjoyed it more. I mentioned earlier but I thought all three were overall better films than Birdman, Foxcatcher, Sniper and Boyhood

spronk

FPS noob
Oscar's are rarely handed out to movies with no heroes or uplifting/positive/historic stories, end of the day its a ceremony to publicize the Hollywood industry so they aren't going to award stuff that doesn't make them look good/noble. Nightcrawler really was a "Hollywood First World Problems" sort of movie against paparazzi (I know Jake's character wasn't exactly paparazzi but pretty close).

Also imo it didn't really nail the whole LA-At-Night thing. Most big cities have a very different vibe between daytime and night-time, and NC wasted that opportunity, it really could have taken place in any city from the cinematography/supporting cast/secondary plots.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Gone Girl was my definite favorite of the year. Nightcrawler was interesting, but not even close in my book.

iannis

Musty Nester
I couldn't make it through Whiplash.

Not because the movie was bad. The part that I managed to make it through was quite good. I just couldn't do it. That movie. Them feels. It exceeded my pain threshold.

It was nice to see Paul Ryser gettin honest work, at least!

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
I would have picked Whiplash, Grand Budapest Hotel, and either Nightcrawler or Gone Girl, not sure which. Probably Nightcrawler. Watching Gone Girl with my wife things just got way too real, bros.

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Gone Girl was one of the most terrifying films I have ever seen. It was fantastic.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
After watching Boyhood a secondtime i rage quit out of there after the 30min mark, the boy sucks at acting. For reference the sister is so much better.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
The sister is Linklater's daughter. I thought the kid was fine, he acted like any other kid.

Szlia

I have not seen American Sniper, Selma nor The Theory Of Everything, but Birdman is by several orders of magnitude better than the other nominees. Even with the avalanche of clich?s, dumb discourse and gimmicky film making.

Szlia

Yeah, it's gimmicky in the sense it is technically impressive, often clever, but meaningless. And since they massively cheated to make it seem like it's a continuous shot while it is not, a lot of the tension that comes with this kind of form (very present in a movie like the recentFish & Cat- made in a single 140min tracking shot) disappears.

iannis

Musty Nester
I felt like it added to the movie though. It really did create a particular feel. It gave the movie an uncommon ambiance. And yeah, there were massive obvious cheats when they'd turn a dark corner. Obvious to me, even, and I rarely notice that kind of thing.

At least it wasn't Michael Bay levels of gimmicky bullshit or lens flare x3. But maybe it was a little bit gimmicky. It did create a continuous flow, at least, which would have been lacking if it had been staged differently. The couple of timeskips fucked with that flow. I don't think it would have been worse staged differently. It's kind of a which shade of purple is your favorite sort of decision. He coulda done it a different way I'm sure, but that's the way he chose to do it. That part of it didn't blow my mind, but it didn't bother me at all either. Which could maybe be seen as a qualified win. If he'd done it more poorly it would have been an annoyance and a detriment.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
You liked Birdman "several orders of magnitude" more than Whiplash? What? Crazy talk.

A lot of people here hated it, but I enjoyed American Sniper.

Sterling

El Presidente
You liked Birdman "several orders of magnitude" more than Whiplash? What? Crazy talk.

A lot of people here hated it, but I enjoyed American Sniper.
Yeah Whiplash is awesome. While I don't think American Sniper deserves Oscars or anything, I don't think it was nearly as bad as a lot of people seem to be making it out to be here.

Szlia

Even the drumming was better in Birdman!
smile.png
Seriously, that drum score in Birdman gave the movie so much energy. A great idea.

spronk

FPS noob
nothing really to do with oscars but Top Five bluray rips are out and it is an absolutely fantastic movie for anyone who grew up watching Chris Rock. He is awesome in it and a lot of his comic buddies do small cameos.