Outriders (Squeenix looter shooter)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, I was surprised when those stacked. Can't say I'm a fan of it making you use all 3 before any of them start to recharge though. Might just be biased because I expected it to work like PoE skills when you link up Second Wind, and I suppose it's also not so bad when you use the 3 mines for burst damage, since you only have to wait for one cooldown period to get them all back.

Last edited:

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
We'll probably see some adjustment to skills after release. =)

Been playing a Devastator this morning, nice class so far, imo. Running around using a shotgun up in mobs faces, nice & easy. Gauss was a bit tough, but only due to no healing beyond 30% (in cover), but killed him. Same with Captain (payback). Killing those two got me some gear with ability healing built in, so the character is even more tanky.

spronk

FPS noob
Played on PC and xbox (series X), pc version feels far superior. Something just feels off on console, like the aiming and movement feels slow and bad. Not polished at all like Destiny or even Gears, but kbm on PC feels decent.

I had fun, but its definitely a game that feels like it'd be more fun playing with friends than solo. I do like the story and world building, but not enough honestly to play at launch. I got bored playing Borderlands 3 and even Destiny 2, and this feels like more of the same. Really appreciate the free demo though, its an easy way to tell if its your jam or not.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
Tried the demo a little bit. If it is actually just a full fledged game, as in you can play the full campaign from start to finish with an end and no cliffhangers to be expanded on with DLC/expansions, then I'll probably get it.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Yeah, I was surprised when those stacked. Can't say I'm a fan of it making you use all 3 before any of them start to recharge though. Might just be biased because I expected it to work like PoE skills when you link up Second Wind, and I suppose it's also not so bad when you use the 3 mines for burst damage, since you only have to wait for one cooldown period to get them all back.

Note that not everything stacks. If you are comparing gear that has an ability on it that doesn't stack it will show up in red as part of the UX. This is true even if you are looking to replace the item that the ability is already on but its easy enough to understand.

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I liked the Devastator the most. I hated the Technomancer. Haven't tried the rogue class yet. I liked pyromancer, but it really relies on melee the most and I need my back buttons for that. Fuck you Sony for not just having back buttons from the start on the Dual Sense.

Vorph

Note that not everything stacks. If you are comparing gear that has an ability on it that doesn't stack it will show up in red as part of the UX. This is true even if you are looking to replace the item that the ability is already on but its easy enough to understand.
Interesting.. what have you seen that doesn't stack? I've seen the red perks a lot, but always when it's a new item with the same perk as the one I'm already using.

I liked the Devastator the most. I hated the Technomancer. Haven't tried the rogue class yet. I liked pyromancer, but it really relies on melee the most and I need my back buttons for that. Fuck you Sony for not just having back buttons from the start on the Dual Sense.
Yeah, I think Techno is clear winner on PC (both in demo and looking ahead with all 8 skills unlocked and a skill tree filled in), but I wouldn't touch it on console. Playing with gamepad, Trickster or Devastator would definitely be the way to go.

Last edited:

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I played the demo for about 2 hours. Just felt very bland. If people here rave about end game I might buy it.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Played in a three man group from the start of the demo (after the intro) this evening and it was more challenging than solo at first while we were all learning different classes but by the time we were at the end of the demo and had some skill-mod gear etc things were getting smoother. Was a lot of fun.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Accurate review IMO.

I went back and played my Devastator up to all blue gear, almost World Tier 5, repeatedly running "A Bad Day" and getting multiple blue/rare drops per run, and could do it in like 5-7 min a run. I know what the meta runs are for getting Legendary loot are, and will do a few once I get up to WT6 but didn't realize I left him in such a poor state when I switched over to Technomancer, only a few blue guns and a couple blue pieces of armor. All Rare equipment and really knowing the skills made everything so much easier, and having gotten over the shock of the game start made the trench WWI look easier to bear. Plus just skipping all of the dialogues except the rescue bit in "A Bad Day" after the first time makes the game so much better.

I think all three classes I have played play pretty well solo and play really well in groups. It's just such a shift from the normal way we play these games its difficult to get your head around. I agree with Skill Up completely, in almost everything about his review. I am still on the fence about pre-ordering... It's always a bad idea, isn't it? I saved a ton of money not pre-ordering Godfall but I hadn't played that game. This game, I feel I do want to support because I turned around so much on it. Probably better to wait but I am still playing the demo even today.

Stave

Potato del Grande
Fired the demo up after all the good feedback here. When I saw the first trailer years ago, I just wrote it off as some B rated game. Thoroughly enjoying it though so far. You can tell it's not a AAA polished game, but it seems pretty solid and bug free. It may not have the most modern graphics, but it reminds me a lot of Mass Effect which is a good thing. I can't help but feel that this is what Anthem was going for as well, minus the flying and open world. About the only real issue I have had so far is when you go up to cover and hit your space bar and it just doesn't put you in cover. Just seems not nearly as polished as a game like The Division 2. I only tried the trickster so far, and he seems a bit squishy. All my heals and shield depend on me killing up close, but I find myself behind cover picking off enemies as they pop up similar to The Division. The other classes don't really interest me too much though. I might have to try the Devastator and see if that's better.

That said, I always have a soft spot for looter games. I loved The Division 1 and 2, and it all started back with Hellgate: London. Loot seems a lot less boring than Anthem or Destiny's loot. I am a bit disappointed by it not being a GaaS, but it sounds like it will have decent end-game so that's good. It's on sale right now on Green Man Gaming for $48. I am debating on preordering. I'll probably run through the demo as another class and then decide. Not much on the horizon for games to look forward to, and bored of WoW and FFXIV is in a lull right now, so a game like this could be good.

Last edited:

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
This game really calls back to what I mentioned in the Valheim thread about how important pricing is in 2021, with so many gaming options available.

A large part of Valheim's success is that it was priced pretty perfectly for what it was offering. $20 is great value for what that game is and gives you. The same is true here with Outriders. At $60, this game definitely falls into "Eh, I'll wait for them to smooth out the edges, see what endgame is like, and allow them to release some patches". If they had priced it at $30? I'd probably buy it day one, despite some of the jankiness.

• 2Solidarity
  • 2Like
Reactions: 3 users

Stave

Potato del Grande
This game really calls back to what I mentioned in the Valheim thread about how important pricing is in 2021, with so many gaming options available.

A large part of Valheim's success is that it was priced pretty perfectly for what it was offering. $20 is great value for what that game is and gives you. The same is true here with Outriders. At $60, this game definitely falls into "Eh, I'll wait for them to smooth out the edges, see what endgame is like, and allow them to release some patches". If they had priced it at $30? I'd probably buy it day one, despite some of the jankiness.

Yeah it doesn't feel like a $60 game. I dunno, it just feels "generic". Like one of those old OG Xbox third person shooter games. The thing for me though is the grind and loot and story actually seem decent though so far. Even at $40 I think I'd pick this up no question.

One thing I do really like is that supposedly with legendaries, you can gain skills from other classes. Sounds like it could make for some amazing builds.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I believe the "red" tone on a description just means you already have that perk on the same piece. The Technomancer perk that adds 1 grenade can be on multiple pieces of gear, and when I get a new piece with the same perk, that perk will show up in the red tone because I have that perk already on the old piece.

Edit: I have +1 grenades on my Helm and Boots, so 3 nades total.

3nades.png

When I get a piece of gear with the same perk, this is what I see:

nadeextra.png

So I think when you see that red tone on the description it should just mean you already have the perk on that piece of gear, since I see this when I equip a pair of boots without the grenade perk:

freshnadeboots.png

Last edited:

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
You can refresh the gear list on Vendors by moving Windows time forward 1hr, and you can do this forever. The Special deals you generate by doing this can proc an Epic item, but by doing this the game snapshots each instance you do, so if you set Windows time for March 24th and didn't get an Epic on Special deals, when real time catches up to that day and you check the Vendors, you'll see the same Special deal that you generate previously, or if you bought the Special item, it will appear at Sold Out.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Vorph

Only thing still stopping my from preordering is that Expeditions are pretty much the whole endgame, and they are entirely based around speed-running. Just having a leaderboard with no actual rewards brings out the absolute worst in people, but making it so no loot actually drops in the missions and anything you get at the end is 100% based on how fast you cleared is straight up fucking retarded unless the timers are so generous that you can only fail to achieve gold tier by dying repeatedly.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Only thing still stopping my from preordering is that Expeditions are pretty much the whole endgame, and they are entirely based around speed-running. Just having a leaderboard with no actual rewards brings out the absolute worst in people, but making it so no loot actually drops in the missions and anything you get at the end is 100% based on how fast you cleared is straight up fucking retarded unless the timers are so generous that you can only fail to achieve gold tier by dying repeatedly.
The post campaign video showed a few of the expeditions with varying amounts of time. In some the timed tiers were under 15m, under 22m, under 28m, and no bonus you took greater than 28m.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Fired the demo up after all the good feedback here. When I saw the first trailer years ago, I just wrote it off as some B rated game. Thoroughly enjoying it though so far. You can tell it's not a AAA polished game, but it seems pretty solid and bug free. It may not have the most modern graphics, but it reminds me a lot of Mass Effect which is a good thing. I can't help but feel that this is what Anthem was going for as well, minus the flying and open world. About the only real issue I have had so far is when you go up to cover and hit your space bar and it just doesn't put you in cover. Just seems not nearly as polished as a game like The Division 2. I only tried the trickster so far, and he seems a bit squishy. All my heals and shield depend on me killing up close, but I find myself behind cover picking off enemies as they pop up similar to The Division. The other classes don't really interest me too much though. I might have to try the Devastator and see if that's better.

That said, I always have a soft spot for looter games. I loved The Division 1 and 2, and it all started back with Hellgate: London. Loot seems a lot less boring than Anthem or Destiny's loot. I am a bit disappointed by it not being a GaaS, but it sounds like it will have decent end-game so that's good. It's on sale right now on Green Man Gaming for $48. I am debating on preordering. I'll probably run through the demo as another class and then decide. Not much on the horizon for games to look forward to, and bored of WoW and FFXIV is in a lull right now, so a game like this could be good.
Don't play it like a cover shooter, necessarily. I mean , there are times for that but in a lot of cases, and Skill Up makes this point really well, in a way I hadn't thought about: The cover is there for your enemies. It's a difficult shift to make in playstyle. The Techomancer can use cover but mostly I just use it to wait for my abilities to recycle. Otherwise I just take pauses in cover and then proceed with slaughter. Depends on the arena and the circumstances and its hard to let go of the way we are trained to play these games but in Outriders, its kind of the Crackdown "kills for skills" approach; Always Be Killing to paraphrase the GlenGary GlenRoss/Sales training material.

Stave

Potato del Grande
Don't play it like a cover shooter, necessarily. I mean , there are times for that but in a lot of cases, and Skill Up makes this point really well, in a way I hadn't thought about: The cover is there for your enemies. It's a difficult shift to make in playstyle. The Techomancer can use cover but mostly I just use it to wait for my abilities to recycle. Otherwise I just take pauses in cover and then proceed with slaughter. Depends on the arena and the circumstances and its hard to let go of the way we are trained to play these games but in Outriders, its kind of the Crackdown "kills for skills" approach; Always Be Killing to paraphrase the GlenGary GlenRoss/Sales training material.
Yeah I found that out last night when I went up against some snipers. I had a strong shotty, and my heals only kick in up close so I've just been running into everything headfirst and shottying them in the face. It's a bit more stressful watching my health yoyo so much but it seems more effective.