Overwatch

spronk

FPS noob
physical orders were going out with the expectation you will get the game monday, since you can input your key/install on monday and start playing monday night at 7pm EST (4pm PST) when the servers go live. my best buy order for example shipped yesterday and is arriving monday afternoon.

if you order now it seems unlikely you will get the game monday unless you live in the same city as an amazon warehouse or use amazon now or something like that. might be better to go digital (on PC) or pick up at best buy / gamestop on monday, the game should be buyable anytime monday in stores.

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Fuuuckiit. Just snagged off Blizz site. Add me.BrahmaDog#1295

Guess I will play that big dude with the hammer and shield. He moves niiiice and slooooow.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
I'm assuming there is no shop/micro-transactions on launch considering they never mentioned anything yet. Seems like the best time to make money is right at launch, kind of surprising.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So how is the progression for Overwatch. Did a little Googling, and it looks like you gain levels, and through RNG loot boxes, get different cosmentics. Based on cosmetics alone, will there be any of the, "oh shit, that guy must be good, look what he's wearing?"

Also, how has the match making system been through open beta? I'm a casual, and figure I'll never progress very high, but the most fun games are the ones more evenly matched.

Leadsalad

Cis-XYite-Nationalist
Progression system exists only for loot crates for cosmetics.

Match balance and rated I can't speak to, wasn't in the beta. Many complaints about the system though but the pool of players was proportionally smaller as well.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
So how is the progression for Overwatch. Did a little Googling, and it looks like you gain levels, and through RNG loot boxes, get different cosmentics. Based on cosmetics alone, will there be any of the, "oh shit, that guy must be good, look what he's wearing?"

Also, how has the match making system been through open beta? I'm a casual, and figure I'll never progress very high, but the most fun games are the ones more evenly matched.
Progression is all about cosmetic shit. The match making was ok during closed beta but that was because of the very limited player pool. In open beta it was also hard to tell because everyone got reset and didn't have enough time to adjust. Ranked when it was in was really good.

It's going to be a rough start with a wide variety of experience until more data gets in to start doing actual match making. It does try to put you against other premades if you are in one which is a good thing.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
(...)It's going to be a rough start with a wide variety of experience until more data gets in to start doing actual match making. It does try to put you against other premades if you are in one which is a good thing.
More data won't help poor refresh rate aka people getting killed behind walls / covers.

spronk

FPS noob
There really isn't any sort of progression system in Overwatch, you can keep ranking up and every 100 levels you get like a little extra star next to your name to let others know you have sunk a ton of hours, sort of like COD Prestige. But a level 1 player has the same loadout and hero options as a level 800, the latter will just have unlocked all the skins, sprays, poses, etc but its all cosmetic.

Since the only real difference between a win and a loss is a couple hundred XP I don't think it really matters too much. For a while I started just quitting any game where it looked like my team was losing, and eventually I got some sort of warning about how much I was leaving games. You'll apparently be docked 75% of your XP for every game if you rage quit too much, until you stop rage quitting enough games. and yeah, after 3-4 weeks I'd expect the really good players to stay in ranked games and the more casual players (me) to stay with quick play.

Nehrak_sl

shitlord

The others basically answered this, but I'm going to spell it out:

- Character cosmetic upgrades cost currency, or you can get them from a loot box.
- Every level you gain, you get one loot box.
- Each loot box it contains four (cosmetic) item rolls, ranging from "common" to "legendary".
- You might get currency in place of an item and it has its own rarity. The higher rarities being awarded as currency was kind of small. (I got 235? from an "epic" currency once.)
- The "rarity" is mostly how much it costs through in-game acquired currency. For example, most "common" items are sprays and cost 25 currency. "Legendary" skins are 1000 currency, by contrast.
- You can get repeat items from loot boxes, at which point they automatically convert to currency (and it tells you how much upon opening the duplicate).

As far as matchmaking goes, I can't really speak to that, though I did read/hear that how you rate a match can influence who you get matched with. A + for Match Rating means they go on the "prefer this player" list by default, and - the "avoid this player". I don't know if it applies only to your team or every player in that match.

Cybsled

So for Amazon, I had preordered and just did the free prime shipping. Will that still arrive on the 23rd?

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Thanks for the replies guys! Had a feeling it would be like that, and that's not a bad thing. Still on the fence about it, as I still can't see what's so alluring? And yet more than 1 person I feel has said they intended to just check it out and play a little, and ended up full on poopsocking the game all weekend because it was so much fun.

Maybe as a gaming community we all just have a competitive itch to scratch?

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Amazon has the collectors edition for the PS4 and Xbone for $94.99, $75 after prime discount. You will have to contact customer service though to get the prime discount after. Not for PC, that one is sold out.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
I'm down in LA on vacation and stumbled upon the Tracer reveal on accident. It's pretty cool.

ts4DOU8l.jpg