Overwatch

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
I wouldn't be surprised if they have a bunch of eager small teams pitching ideas using their bigger IPs.
I don't think thats the way Blizzard is structured. Your job is tied to a project. So you're a "Starcraft2 engine developer" you only work on Starcraft2's engine. Not Overwatch's and not Diablo. Starcraft. I don't think there is a concept of a generic "Engine Developer." How they form teams once a new idea is pitched I'm not sure but I assume they just move the "Starcraft2 engine developer" to "Overwatch engine developer."

Neph_sl

shitlord
I don't think thats the way Blizzard is structured. Your job is tied to a project. So you're a "Starcraft2 engine developer" you only work on Starcraft2's engine. Not Overwatch's and not Diablo. Starcraft. I don't think there is a concept of a generic "Engine Developer." How they form teams once a new idea is pitched I'm not sure but I assume they just move the "Starcraft2 engine developer" to "Overwatch engine developer."
I'm not saying that Blizzard is only small teams, of course they're structured such that the majority of the work is on their big games.

But Hearthstone was conceived by a smaller team who had an idea, pitched it to someone, and then they were given the resources to make it happen. They've said that they want to have that kind of innovative small-team development like how they were when they were a younger company. So it only makes sense that others have pitched their ideas and are trying to make valid games out of them. I don't work for Blizzard so I don't know if people are allowed to dedicate say 20% of time to side projects, or if there's just smaller teams set aside to do these kinds of explorations in between big releases. But without it, we wouldn't have Hearthstone. As far as I understand, Heroes of the Storm came about similarly, just as a custom SC2 map.

Tenks

I guess the disconnect was we were talking about different phases of the development. I was more focused on resource allocation. I'm sure there are some game designers who do get paid to brood a bit about ideas but I doubt they'd really have any code written just a design outline.

AFAIK from Glassdoor reviews I didn't see anyone talking about hack-a-thons or 80/20 at Blizzard. 80/20 does have some scaling issues and Blizzard is a fairly big place now even if (again from what I understand I don't work there) each individual product is managed like their own studio.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
They will use Overwatch characters for things like HoTS but I don't see them making another game dedicated to that universe. I hope I am wrong but they seem to take the Disney approach of having a popular IP and then licensing the shit out of it.

Tenks

HotS exists a fan service so it makes sense that most of the popular characters will enter that game (Tracer already there.)

If they'll explore the IP through other genres I'm kind of with Abe where I doubt it. Blizzard seems to prefer to set expectations where if someone picks up a Diablo game its an ARPG, if they pick up a Starcraft game its an RTS. Like I said the only outlier is Warcraft where they seem fine with lending that IP out to RTS, MMO, CCG.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
I think this just shows that the gaming public would have been receptive to Titan had they managed to overcome the "what's the game??" issue. It was likely a large issue because part of the attraction of Overwatch is becoming one of those characters and not generic player01 who occupies their same world.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I disagree. I view this game almost more as found money. Titan could have either been scrapped 100% or they could have spent a year or so trying to salvage some parts of it. If OW fails (which it won't its going to sell truckloads) I don't think it'll bankrupt ActiBlizz because the losses from Titan are already mostly eaten.
No, no, I mean they've decided to dump HotS and D3 and go all-in on OW as the Blizz game of choice.

Tenks

No, no, I mean they've decided to dump HotS and D3 and go all-in on OW as the Blizz game of choice.
I've always viewed HotS as kind of a red headed stepchild for Blizzard. I enjoy the game but it is obvious it was clearly an afterthought and decided to become a stand-alone because they sunk so much cash into Blizzard Allstars. I however wouldn't be shocked if a D3 expansion is announced at BlizzCon and data mining suggests cosmetic MTX is coming to D3 as well. I think Overwatch is just new and shiney so it is very easy for people who have worked at Blizzard most of their professional lives and never launched a new IP to get giddy over seeing something 100% their own creation hitting the shelves.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
So my friends have decided this is the Blizzard cross to die on.

At least it's basically dirt cheap with the Amazon pre-order. We'll see how long this lasts. I'm still concerned at the lack of depth here. Meh.
What amazon pre-order? Looks to me like they just have the Origin or Collector's editions, at essentially full price

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Oh, I've had prime for years and had no idea (guessing that is a newer thing I missed). Wish they had the $40 version then.

Itzena_sl

shitlord
Aha, I knew that someone had to have done this:

px6tnZn.jpg

(From the end of the Winston video)