Overwatch

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
That bug explains a lot. The movement in ratings I saw yesterday can probably be explained by the KotH games.

I guess we need to avoid Competitive until this is fixed since a 50% win rate evening where you win KotH and loses on payloads will result in a massive rating loss.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I'm really curious how that bug affects placements, too...

Losing on KoTH in placements could have had almost no affect whereas losing other maps might have bombed your rating. I guess this first Season is mostly a wash now since that bug has affected so much...

At one point I was 72% win rate, 10-4, +6 over .500, and rank 48... now I'm 17-13, +4 over .500, 57% win rate...and rank 49. Shit is whack. I had a 3 game win streak on KoTH maps on Day 1... probably would have been Rank 50 without the bug.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Finished up placements. I don't understand the ranking to be honest. I have a 55% win rate overall and went 6/4 in the placement matches. Doing well individually every game (gold medals and shit). Playing Junkrat, Roadhog, Reinhardt, Lucio

Rank 45. Totally fine with that.

skribble

Golden Knight of the Realm
Will be interesting to see if the 'support gets lower rating' and the KOTH bugs are actually bugs or just some sort of psychological effect. The KOTH one definitely sounds plausible, but it could just be a coincidence that people are winning against teams that are expected to be stomps by the system, so you get a lot less rating.

This definitely happened in other blizzard games, anyone who played arena in WOW for example will remember this vividly. When we were pushing for glad it was game after game of 1-2 pt victories then any loss was a drop of 20 because the teams were so far apart in MMR that we were 'expected' to win so a loss to a team of this MMR caused a huge loss of ranking. If someone unfamiliar with the system noticed a few small increases on KOTH maps then maybe he just assumed it wasn't working properly, and it caught on. Or it could be bugged, who knows at this point. I've heard people also mention that winning/losing against people in their placements when you have finished yours has some sort of exaggerated effect too, but again who knows, its all just conjecture. Don't think Ill play much more ranked until the system settles down and blizzard confirms either way, work on getting my sensitivity lower (holy arm movements batman).

As an aside, I hope the system IS different from WOWs, because that felt like an awful awful grind because you would win these small victories consistently enough but all it took was one loss to undo about three hours of effort, was no fun at all.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
...KOTH bugs are actually bugs or just some sort of psychological effect. The KOTH one definitely sounds plausible, but it could just be a coincidence that people are winning against teams that are expected to be stomps by the system, so you get a lot less rating.
The KoTH bug is confirmed, not psychological. You'll never see massive gains or losses on KoTH until it's fixed.

From reading more about it, my understanding about what's happening is that KoTH maps are registering only 1 "game/round" rather than the 3-5 that it actually is.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Oddly enough no matter how much you people complain about your random teammates, your rank will only go up if YOU improve. It's not like the people in 60+ rank just "got lucky" and are staying up there because of it, they are just that much better. They're also dealing with the same bugs as everyone else, too.

If you can't deal with your rank being what it is and are shifting blame, ranked is 100% not for you. Ranked is about personal improvement and mastery. It's the same stupid complaining people get made fun of for in League for saying their teammates are the only reason they're stuck in bronze. Well, the only factor consistent in every game is you, so....

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Oddly enough no matter how much you people complain about your random teammates, your rank will only go up if YOU improve.
Oddly enough, not too much bitching about teammates happening so far, from what I've seen
smile.png

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I have a bitcher on about half the teams I'm on.
Oh, I meant on these forums. Definitely tons of raging in game.

I wonder if you could cheese the system by leaving king of the hill maps during the assembly phase and just playing on payload maps?
Pretty sure if you are the leaver you'll get Leaver Penalties, even when it's first 30 sec. Might not lose rating but might not be able to play ranked, either
biggrin.png

Slaythe

<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, more just general confusion about the specifics of the ranking system, but the KOTH bug explains a lot for me.

Rank is kind of whatever for me. Of course I want to be higher because it's a goal and partly a pissing match with friends.

Truth though is competitive is just a much better mode than quick play. Matches are just much better all around. In the 20 or so matches I've played I've encountered exactly one troll, a guy who would constantly type "ONCE TORB, ALWAYS TORB" and run turrets on offense. Thats one shithead out of 100 teammates. Much better ratio than the time with quick play.

What I need to do is just stop caring about rank. It'll end up where it ends up. Enjoy the fact that I'm getting much better games.

skribble

Golden Knight of the Realm
The KoTH bug is confirmed, not psychological. You'll never see massive gains or losses on KoTH until it's fixed.

From reading more about it, my understanding about what's happening is that KoTH maps are registering only 1 "game/round" rather than the 3-5 that it actually is.
You got a link to where its confirmed? I can only find theyre investigating

Taloo_sl

shitlord
Be next week before I hit 25 and can run ranked. So fucking busy lately. But a lot of you don't seem to accept that rank isn't something that should go up unless you are actually improving as a player. Even in a stack if you aren't improving your skull and teamwork you'll all end up exactly where you belong... like someone else said already, your not filling an xp bar. You won't rank up until you improve as a player.

Also Torb on offense can be highly effective on some maps. I've hit 4 golds playing it and got 8 votes. Is it always the right call? Fuck no, but did your team even try to work together in the first place? It requires teamwork to get your turrets in effective positions while attacking but it can be absolutely oppressive when done right.

Intropy

Shit Gamer
It's extremely frustrating to play for several hours and your rank doesn't move a single point (or even goes down, in my case).
Honest question, not trying to patronize: Assuming you are placed relatively accurately to begin with, why would you expect to see your rank change/increase? My understanding is your rank is a reflection of your skill relative to all other players, this isn't something that is likely to vary much over a single play session.

Taloo_sl

shitlord
Nobody votes for dwarves!
biggrin.png
Haha I usually don't either... Poor Reinhardt is the real hero when I've got a team that it can work with. But get that turret up near a capture point and UltING gives you a soldier 76 Ult and nearly as much hp as a Winston ult. Kind of hard to contest the cap at that point.