Overwatch

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Anyone watch overwatch contenders? I'm just getting around to it as there was so much good racing this weekend.

If you like Pharmercy, recommend watching the Arc6 games (they were called Yikes before the weekend). Renegades are also fun to watch.

Sorry that's 5 hour energy Detroit Renegades.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
This game really needs a 2/2/2 mode. I love MH's but it doesn't give me enough time to try and improve with Heroes I do not normally play. Quickplay is just all DPS and some healer that loves to be a glutton for punishment. I don't want to jump into Comp and practice because I still need to get into gold somehow. lol

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
This game really needs a 2/2/2 mode. I love MH's but it doesn't give me enough time to try and improve with Heroes I do not normally play. Quickplay is just all DPS and some healer that loves to be a glutton for punishment. I don't want to jump into Comp and practice because I still need to get into gold somehow. lol
In more or less the same position. Have some time this weekend if you want to try and grind out some practice/comp

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
This game really needs a 2/2/2 mode.

How would that even work? You could assign roles randomly at the beginning of the game, but then people would just bail once they saw they were stuck with support. You couldn't rotate mid game because there's no guarantee that a different type slot would be open at the time that a given player died.

The best thing to fix MH would be to enforce some kind of limits so your team has a min of one and a max of three of a given hero type.

• 1SJW

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Every mode except competitive is nothing more than mechanics practice. You can't accurately figure out how to position yourself properly on McCree when your main and only tank is a D'Va. There is no mode to magically make people give a shit about winning. Even a 2/2/2 wouldn't fix anything because what if you have decided today is McCree practice day but your tanks are a D'Va and Roadhog? McCree requires too much space to operate to run with that duo.

• 1Like

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
^
To add to that, proper positioning is mostly a bigger contributor to winning than mechanics. Everyone worries about getting better accuracy with Mcree (or whatever), but you could be IDDQD and still get owned if you're not in the right place at the right time. Furthermore, the definition of "proper" varies with map, side, your team comp, opposing team comp, objective progress, and what everybody else is doing. There really isn't any other way to practice that except in an environment where all the players are supposed to be synergizing and trying their best to win.

Last edited:

ex-genj

Golden Squire
The only way to practice comp is to play comp. Even in 6v6 lockout no one groups up or even tries to play a balanced team which blows me away, when it seems like "duh we'll win if we go 2-2-2 or at least 2 tanks 1 healer". Of all the other non comp modes that I thought would feel like comp it would be that one, but I was wrong.

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
Overwatch is proof Blizzard could put a steaming pile of shit in a box and people would pay for it. I enjoy playing, but there's no fucking way it's worth the price they're charging.

• 1Like
  • 1Picard
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 2 users

Xevy

Log Wizard
Overwatch is proof Blizzard could put a steaming pile of shit in a box and people would pay for it. I enjoy playing, but there's no fucking way it's worth the price they're charging.

I think I know why you're saying this...you see, the trick to killing Bastion is ranged damage like Soldier or Hanzo!

But really, didn't you work for fucking DBG? I mean, come on.

• 1Like

gauze

Molten Core Raider
Idk, 40 for a game that essentially offers everything for free is pretty nice. I def put my 40$ of worth if we base it off a movie price scale hr/$

I mean sure you could play league for free and buy one or two skins and be set, there are people who easily spent thousands. Or even csgo, to get into a true comp environment you're looking at about 6/mo, plus skins that are worth thousands in a lob sided slot machine that more than half the time, you don't even get the 2.50 invested back. It ain't so bad.

Xevy

Log Wizard
Plus they're fixing loot boxes on PTR. They're fixing it so you don't get dupes nearly as much and when you do they're worth a lot more credits. So the ONE thing you can spend money on, they're making easier to get for free.

Elidroth

Trakanon Raider
I think I know why you're saying this...you see, the trick to killing Bastion is ranged damage like Soldier or Hanzo!

But really, didn't you work for fucking DBG? I mean, come on.

I sure did.. and I was continually amazed people paid for our expansions. Yet people did. Trust me.. Almost all of us on the EQ design team argued that we couldn't charge what we charged for expansions. Every time, we were overruled, and yet people paid it. I'm still amazed by it.

To me, Overwatch is nothing more than another version of TF2, which I got for free basically.. Don't get me wrong.. Overwatch is very good for what it is.. but it was $59.95 on console and PC initially.

Cybsled

$60 is the standard price for A-List Console and PC titles. TF2 used to cost money as well when it first came out, but Orange Box also came out at a time when console and PC titles had a $49.99 price point for the most part.

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It was always $40 on PC. There were two tiers for pricing on PC. I'm still playing this game over a year later. It's the best FPS I have ever played.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
complaining about pricing.. ugh. TF2 is a great game but it lacked so much that OW has... including Match-making, different modes, additional heroes & official maps... they also didn't host the game, it was P2P. So yea.. TF2 were able to charge a ton less considering a lot less overhead.

I did like the mod community in TF2, so much fun. Which is fine when you aren't worried about a map crashing an official server.

• 1Like

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
TF2 seems to be the new rose tinted game. I hear everywhere how great TF2 was usually surrounding OW threads but I know very few people who actually played it religiously. TF2 was an alright game. OW is better.

• 1Like

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
TF2 was fine when it came out and for a good while after but it also wasn't free (although it's hard to argue with the value of the Orange Box obviously). OW is fine for $40, even if I find it boring now, I played it a bunch while it was fresh.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
TF2 seems to be the new rose tinted game. I hear everywhere how great TF2 was usually surrounding OW threads but I know very few people who actually played it religiously. TF2 was an alright game. OW is better.
I would play 24hr servers all fucking day, shit was great. Also bigger team sizes made it so chaotic (and fun). Also custom maps made it always refreshing. It's not a "rose tinted" game for me, it's still great imo. Just not really comparable to OW other than they are both FPS with cartoonish look.

Zaphid

Trakanon Raider
On a good server TF2 was hands down better than OW, you could find your perfect set of rules (no class stacking, team scrambles, good map rota) and individual players had a lot more space to show off their skill. Yeah, you could end up stuck in an endless 2fort or dustbowl grind. At some point after F2P the influx of cosmetics diluted the fun too much though. OW needs to be played to win or it just plain doesn't work, since the classes synergize too much, so there is this pressure for competitive. You can make plays mostly just around your ulti, not right from the gate.